Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In memoriam: (desertswo) Captain Michael M. ("Mike") Eagen, USN (Ret.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In memoriam: (desertswo) Captain Michael M. ("Mike") Eagen, USN (Ret.)

In memorium (desertswo):

Captain Michael M. ("Mike") Eagen, USN (Ret.) May 28, 1956 - November 10, 2015 Phoenix/San Diego

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40982[/ATTACH]

Captain Michael M. Eagen, USN (Ret.), a San Diego native, died suddenly November 10, 2015.

While attending St. Augustine High School 42 years ago, he met his wife, Eva Lopez. Mike went on to receive a BA and 2 MA's. He was a naval officer for 25 years and retired as a highly decorated Navy captain.

He was preceded in death by his parents, Joseph and Marie, and is survived by his loving wife Eva and their beloved children Meghan, Caitlin, and Joseph; his sisters Joann Pirafalo, Agnes Laband and Judy Helfand; nieces and nephews.

A funeral Mass was held at St. Augustine High School's chapel on December 5, 2015.

Published in The San Diego Union Tribune on Dec. 13, 2015

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40983[/ATTACH]
    Attached Files
    Last edited by JRT; 15 Feb 16,, 17:32. Reason: added link

Mike,

Your knowledge and experience had depth and breadth. Your willingness to share that to teach others was generous. Your criticisms were constructive or corrective as appropriate, and were always well placed. Your presence was large, and your participation was appreciated. You will be missed.

Rest in peace.

JRT

Comment

RIP Mike . Your insight n posts will be missed

Comment

God Bless, Sir.

Present Arms.

I will miss you.

Damned!
        Chimo

Comment

Damn,

Rest in peace Captain.

Comment

That is way, way too young. His life and work were so far removed from mine I don't think we ever talked except once, when I posted a mashup of Snoop Dog and what turned out to be his favourite band, Crowded House. He was outraged in a very polite way :-)
            That doesn't mean I didn't read him. There's no single post or comment I can point to, just a body of posts that told me he had been a damn fine leader in just the way he was a fine member here.
            I will miss this man, a tree has fallen and my condolences to his family.

Iain.
            In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Fair winds and following seas Captain. I learned a lot about what I thought I knew about my time in the Navy from him. DesertSWO was able to fill in the mysterious reasons behind the curtain for why things were done the way they were and make it understandable. Thank you Capt. Eagen

Comment

Rip

Comment

I never knew anyone else who can pack so much information and so much dedication in so few words. It was obvious that he enjoys teaching and that joy comes through like a firehose. There was always something to be learned from his posts. If not the technical aspects, the sheer thrill of avoiding doing something wrong comes through.
                  Chimo

Comment

God bless you, Captain , and rest in peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                      I never knew anyone else who can pack so much information and so much dedication in so few words. It was obvious that he enjoys teaching and that joy comes through like a firehose. There was always something to be learned from his posts. If not the technical aspects, the sheer thrill of avoiding doing something wrong comes through.
                      I would have said this if I'd been articulate enough to manage it. Beautifully said Sir. He was one of the most informative posters I have ever encountered. Lovely guy too. Gone WAY too soon. RIP Captain Mike. Thoughts to your loved ones.
                      sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

OMG!!! I have no words to express my sorrow. I exchanged IMs with Mike regarding ship's propulsion. He was a treasure trove of knowledge and never hesitated to share his experience.

My deepest condolences to his family.

WAB now has a void which cannot be filled.
                        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Cheerful, full of joy and will to teach with respect. This is how Mike will live in my memory. Terrible loss.

Rest in peace fine gentleman.
                          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Holy crap! It seems like just yesterday that the Captain joined our forum, and quickly established himself as an expert on nautical propulsion systems. He was a constant fount of humor and information, in equal quantities.

He will be missed.

RIP, sir!
                            "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Damn, I was hoping his vacancy from our forum just had something to do with the site being down for some time. His knowledge and forthwightfulness was of a generation past, that is missing for the most part in today's World. His contributions will truly be missed.
                              Fair winds and God speed, Captain. Hand Salute!
                              Last edited by surfgun; 16 Feb 16,, 00:32.

Comment

Working...
                              X