Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In memoriam: (desertswo) Captain Michael M. ("Mike") Eagen, USN (Ret.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
    Welcome aboard, no presumptuousness found. Glad to have you with us.
    Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Cruiser View Post
      He will be incredibly missed.
      I find myself struck by the fact that I have a lump in my throat over the passing of someone I've never met...
      People we have never met can still have a profound impact on our lives. Over the last few years we have lost a number of senior & much loved people at WAB. Captain Mike is sadly one more on the list. I'm not ashamed to say that I've cried more than a few tears for some of those we lost. I know I'm not alone. I didn't know the good Captain well enough for that, but the sadness & sense of loss is still genuine. You weren't the only one with a lump. :-)
      sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Cruiser View Post
        As someone who never had the opportunity to converse here with the Captain, I hope I'm not being presumptuous.

I have visited this forum frequently over the last year or so, and have joined up just yesterday. Desertswo was a major reason for my visits. I had intended to join several times, in part to converse with, and ask questions of, him (and some other members here). I now find myself deeply saddened by the fact that it will not be. And angry at my own procrastination.

I suspect that I'm not the only (former) visitor here who has enjoyed the Captain sharing his experience and opinions.

He will be incredibly missed.
        I find myself struck by the fact that I have a lump in my throat over the passing of someone I've never met...
        My situation exactly. I have wanted to post something but hesitated fearing I would say the wrong thing. You said it quite well.

I admired his verbal tact and the way he could explain things and disagree with other posters without being rude or condescending. The Captain was a real asset and will be greatly missed here.

Comment

What the hell!

Now I was wondering what was up when I didn't hear back on a personal message. Well even though he went to my cross town rival high school, Saints, we managed to get along and not have any fights in the stands [insert smiley]. His obituary did put a name to his wife who I can now recognize as she was several classes behind me at Uni in 1971.

There is no doubt his knowledge, and the ability it to get it across, will be sorely missed here. I do regret that the two of us will be unable to meet as we both tended to go back and forth between our current homes and the homes we knew in San Diego during our earlier years.

May he have fair winds and following seas...
          Last edited by tbm3fan; 19 Feb 16,, 00:05.

Comment

RIP, and the gang grows smaller and the poorer for it.

Comment

I hope someone from the forum is in a position to pass on our deep regrets at the passing of Captain Eagan to his family. It would have been a privilege to met him in person, he was gentleman in the truest sense of the word.
              If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

I sent a message on his facebook page expressing condolences and inviting his family to view the website. I hope it wasn't forward of me- not sure that anyone from his family may be looking at his facebook page, but I thought they should know that he had a lot of respect from here.

Comment

Originally posted by Monash View Post
                  I hope someone from the forum is in a position to pass on our deep regrets at the passing of Captain Eagan to his family. It would have been a privilege to met him in person, he was gentleman in the truest sense of the word.
                  If you go to the link at the start (I think) there is an online condolence book. I left a message there & I hope others have too. I assume the family read them.
                  sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Our generation passes. OBL pissed off a monster but it was an old monster. The good Captain represented the monster USN that was going to deliver hell and fire across two continents. Today, we argue why the IOWAs should or should not be activated. Good points made on either side but it ignores the real issue.

We're no longer monsters that we once were.

GS, we were willing to destroy an entire city just to destroy city hall. Now, just because we can destroy city hall with less destruction ... so too is less our threat.

Sir,

Present Arms.

Godspeed.
                    Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 24 Feb 16,, 07:19.
                    Chimo

Comment

Every generation passes, decrying the failings of those who take their place - while at the same time forgetting that their fathers did the same thing. The world somehow manages to survive non-the-less and even prosper. If we are lucky we get to do our bit to try to make the world a better place, then we pass the job onto someone else. History gets to judge.

P.S. Apparently 4 glasses of wine makes me philosophical - I am getting old!
                      If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Monash View Post
                        P.S. Apparently 4 glasses of wine makes me philosophical - I am getting old!
                        Well, you are better than me. That much wine makes me pee!
                        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                        Mark Twain

Comment

My condolences to his friends and family and my thanks for his service and understanding. I pray that my generation will live up to our forefathers

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                            Well, you are better than me. That much wine makes me pee!
                            You pee, I sprout drunken/lame assed philosophy - and thus universal balance is achieved.

Comment

RIP Sir.

Comment

Rest in Peace Captain Mike!

My Condolences to the friends and family. You will be missed.
                                Last edited by Deltacamelately; 26 Feb 16,, 09:24.
                                sigpicAnd on the sixth day, God created the Field Artillery...

Comment

Working...
                                X