Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In memoriam: (desertswo) Captain Michael M. ("Mike") Eagen, USN (Ret.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know of anyone that took more joy in sharing knowledge than the good Captain. And what a vast source of knowledge he was.

I'll miss him

Fair winds and following seas Sir

Comment

The good Captain was with us for far too briefly and yet he earned my genuine respect and admiration almost from the start. I was educated by the knowledge he shared. For that and for the service he gave to our country I will always be grateful. He left this good earth at much too young an age. It saddens me to think what more he could have accomplished and the good company we are going to miss in the years ahead.

My sincere condolences to his loved ones. RIP good sir!

Comment

Personal loss ....

The good Captain befriended me via the Fletcher thread.
        He shared his knowledge and delightful humor.
        My sincere heartfelt loss and thoughts go out to his family.
        The helm stands vacant .......
        Attached Files
        Last edited by blidgepump; 16 Feb 16,, 02:29.

Comment

Geez, I had been wondering where he was, too.

RIP, and he will be missed.

Comment

Attention on deck! Hand salute! Rest in peace Captain

I am sure that all agree that this news deserves it own thread here in Naval Warfare.
            I am shocked and saddened in discovering this. Many of us not only enjoyed his presence here, many learned much! I wish I had the chance to serve under his command. Though I never met the man, I
            was grateful for the coms I had with him.

Captain, fair winds and following seas sir!

Click image for larger version

Name:	sailor_saluting_lg_nwm.gif
Views:	3
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	1468286

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/san...?pid=176873394

MODERATORS: If possible, could one of you post the Captains picture that he used in his profile here.
            Thanks
            Last edited by SlaterDoc; 16 Feb 16,, 05:57.

Comment

A dedicated thread has been started for the Good Captain.

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/sho...22#post1003622
              Chimo

Comment

The Captain had alluded to tenuous health in a few comments. First rate mariner, obviously. Incredibly knowledgeable rocker too. Added a lot to the music thread while engaged.

I'll genuinely miss him here and my prayers to his family and friends. They've lost a good one.

So many of late. Damned shame.
                "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Damn Damn DAMN...too much of this.

Captain, you will be sorely missed.
                  “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by SlaterDoc View Post
                    I am sure that all agree that this news deserves it own thread here in Naval Warfare.
                    I am shocked and saddened in discovering this. Many of us not only enjoyed his presence here, many learned much! I wish I had the chance to serve under his command. Though I never met the man, I
                    was grateful for the coms I had with him.

Captain, fair winds and following seas sir!

[ATTACH]40989[/ATTACH]

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/san...?pid=176873394

MODERATORS: If possible, could one of you post the Captains picture that he used in his profile here.
                    Thanks
                    It was just a few months before that he came out to visit the Iowa and offer some advice on a very slow leak we have in one of the shaft glands. He was a very congenial person who was Navy all the way. I'm glad I had the pleasure of meeting him and his family and even had him piped aboard.
                    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

RIP sir, you will be missed but never forgotten.
                      RIP Charles "Bob" Spence. 1936-2014.

Comment

Fuck!!!! FUCK!!!! FUCK YOU, DEATH!!!!

You keep taking the great ones way too early.

Skipper, you taught this grunt cum logistician cum historian a LOT!

Thank you for your service, your mentorship and your life!!!

Fair Winds and Following seas, Captain.

DINGDING DINGDING USS DESERTSWO....DEPARTING!
                        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                        Mark Twain

Comment

I too miss the Captain.

I hope his family sees these post to witness the the joy he brought to the WAB. The high regard he was held in by members of WAB and also a little insight into his US.Naval Career. Which he was rightly proud of. From his post I had a sense he was an excellent teacher, especially with the knuckle heads.

RIP
                          Last edited by Dazed; 16 Feb 16,, 22:40.

Comment

I would have loved a story when the Captain chewed someone out.
                            Chimo

Comment

As someone who never had the opportunity to converse here with the Captain, I hope I'm not being presumptuous.

I have visited this forum frequently over the last year or so, and have joined up just yesterday. Desertswo was a major reason for my visits. I had intended to join several times, in part to converse with, and ask questions of, him (and some other members here). I now find myself deeply saddened by the fact that it will not be. And angry at my own procrastination.

I suspect that I'm not the only (former) visitor here who has enjoyed the Captain sharing his experience and opinions.

He will be incredibly missed.
                              I find myself struck by the fact that I have a lump in my throat over the passing of someone I've never met...

Comment

Originally posted by Cruiser View Post
                                As someone who never had the opportunity to converse here with the Captain, I hope I'm not being presumptuous.

I have visited this forum frequently over the last year or so, and have joined up just yesterday. Desertswo was a major reason for my visits. I had intended to join several times, in part to converse with, and ask questions of, him (and some other members here). I now find myself deeply saddened by the fact that it will not be. And angry at my own procrastination.

I suspect that I'm not the only (former) visitor here who has enjoyed the Captain sharing his experience and opinions.

He will be incredibly missed.
                                I find myself struck by the fact that I have a lump in my throat over the passing of someone I've never met...
                                Welcome aboard, no presumptuousness found. Glad to have you with us.
                                “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Working...
                                X