Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsidian_Entertainment

Cripes Gunny, ya gotta put some kind of smiley face or the children will take it seriously.
    I thought everyone would get the reference to Fallout New Vegas.

If you hadn't ruined it, I was gonna post a reply to Gunnuts "75% output to a defense project". Maybe something about the guy in charge having a Theoretical degree in Physics.

Yea I like playing that game.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
      Not enough sun? Have you been there? That place has more sun than any of the coastal regions and the entire PNW. If that's not enough sun then we need to abandon that technology.
      Thats not me talking..that was from the article saying they didn't have enough sun to get their projected energy output. I am leaning on "other issues" as the reasons for the deficiencies.
      Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

I've seen a couple of economic articles lately looking at how Russia (or should I say Putin) is coping with low oil prices. The short answer is they aren't. The current estimate seems to be they have at most 12-18 months (probably a little less than 12 at current prices) before the countries foreign reserve holdings and sovereign wealth funds built up in the good years are exhausted. Combined with the current round of sanctions imposed by the West the country is looking at serious economic and political turmoil. I only hope the Wests Political elites are turning their minds on how to deal with a desperate Putin 6 to 10 months from now.
        If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

I thought the West did a splendid job of caving in on Crimea and Ukraine. Now Putin has pushed himself into the Syrian equation possibly with an eye on Turkish affairs. He well understands where Europe's dependency on oil and pipelines lay.
          (Russia played a fine hand in the Iran 'deal'.)

I also believe that the Saudis are genuinely beginning to worry as to how Russian strategy will go and that is why OPEC decided to continue pumping through this price downturn as oil is 50% of where it was one year ago.
          Secty of State Kerry currently has his hands full. I'm not sure as to how he can keep a straight face. (Wondering what happened to his Presidential aspirations.)
          Real eyes realize real lies.

Comment

Originally posted by Monash View Post
            I've seen a couple of economic articles lately looking at how Russia (or should I say Putin) is coping with low oil prices. The short answer is they aren't. The current estimate seems to be they have at most 12-18 months (probably a little less than 12 at current prices) before the countries foreign reserve holdings and sovereign wealth funds built up in the good years are exhausted. Combined with the current round of sanctions imposed by the West the country is looking at serious economic and political turmoil. I only hope the Wests Political elites are turning their minds on how to deal with a desperate Putin 6 to 10 months from now.
            I'm not sure economic turmoil translates into political turmoil in today's Russia.

Comment

Originally posted by citanon View Post
              I'm not sure economic turmoil translates into political turmoil in today's Russia.
              Even the most well entrenched Dictators get held to account when economic conditions become dire enough.When the State can no longer provide what is considered a basic level of education, healthcare and income support for the majority of it's citizens the results can and do get ugly. I'm not suggesting there will be a popular revolution against Putin in the next 6-12 months only that the Russia state is already struggling to meet popular expectations and 'it's all the West fault' starts to wear a bit thin after a couple of years of hard times. And the Russian economy started tanking last year with this one looking to be even worse - so whats a petty demagogue to do?.
              If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Monash View Post
                Even the most well entrenched Dictators get held to account when economic conditions become dire enough.When the State can no longer provide what is considered a basic level of education, healthcare and income support for the majority of it's citizens the results can and do get ugly. I'm not suggesting there will be a popular revolution against Putin in the next 6-12 months only that the Russia state is already struggling to meet popular expectations and 'it's all the West fault' starts to wear a bit thin after a couple of years of hard times. And the Russian economy started tanking last year with this one looking to be even worse - so whats a petty demagogue to do?.
                Putin actually did something pretty clever, which is to tell the Russian people ahead of time that there was going to be some hard times ahead. So far things have been inline with his predictions. Iirc he talked about a 3 year period of difficulty. He's probably safe within his self set time limit and is looking for leverage to climb out as the deadline approaches.

We will have to see what he has in mind. The problem with our current political leadership is, that's pretty much the mainstay of what they do.

Comment

Originally posted by citanon View Post
                  Putin actually did something pretty clever, which is to tell the Russian people ahead of time that there was going to be some hard times ahead. So far things have been inline with his predictions. Iirc he talked about a 3 year period of difficulty. He's probably safe within his self set time limit and is looking for leverage to climb out as the deadline approaches.

We will have to see what he has in mind. The problem with our current political leadership is, that's pretty much the mainstay of what they do.
                  He would need to provide distraction & amusements during these 3 years as well.
                  Syria was one; it gave a nice boost to his ratings, while at the same time turned him from a pariah that he became after Crimea into ME deal maker & a player ... but soon that Syrian investment will have a diminishing returns

I wonder whats next the next booster

Comment

I just came back from a ski trip to Mammoth Lakes, CA. On my way there, I passed through this small town on the outskirt of LA county, on the edge of the Mojave desert, called California City. There, I saw hundreds of giant wind turbines along the hillside. It was a wind farm.

It was a calm day on my way north to Mammoth Lakes. There was only 1 wind turbine moving on that day. The rest were idle. That's to be expected.

It was a stormy day on my way back 3 days later. Wind gusts were over 50 miles per hour. I passed through this wind farm again. Guess what? I counted TWO wind turbines moving. The rest were IDLE!

What's the fucking point if the wind turbines are idle in calm weather AND stormy weather? What is the range of their operational parameter? They are pretty worthless if they can only produce power in a narrow range of wind speed. And if two of them were turning without flying apart, why aren't the rest of them turning?

Wind power is worthless. It's erratic, unpredictable, expensive to maintain, and require supplemental conventional power plant to smooth the power curve. Why not just leave the conventional power plant on and spend the money on making them clean instead of this cockamamie wind bullshit?
                    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

• Ppfftt....

Don't drive East from where you are.

You'd be appalled at how many wind turbines are functioning out of the thousands at Palm Springs.

It'S sad really.

Comment

• Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
                        Ppfftt....

Don't drive East from where you are.

You'd be appalled at how many wind turbines are functioning out of the thousands at Palm Springs.

It'S sad really.
                        I really don't get Palm Springs. It's like "I enjoy being in Southern California, but I'm way too close to the beach. Let's move inland where we still have to pay high taxes, but it's 40 degrees hotter in the summer, and without the ocean breeze or beach bunnies."

Comment

• Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                          I just came back from a ski trip to Mammoth Lakes, CA. On my way there, I passed through this small town on the outskirt of LA county, on the edge of the Mojave desert, called California City. There, I saw hundreds of giant wind turbines along the hillside. It was a wind farm.

It was a calm day on my way north to Mammoth Lakes. There was only 1 wind turbine moving on that day. The rest were idle. That's to be expected.

It was a stormy day on my way back 3 days later. Wind gusts were over 50 miles per hour. I passed through this wind farm again. Guess what? I counted TWO wind turbines moving. The rest were IDLE!

What's the fucking point if the wind turbines are idle in calm weather AND stormy weather? What is the range of their operational parameter? They are pretty worthless if they can only produce power in a narrow range of wind speed. And if two of them were turning without flying apart, why aren't the rest of them turning?

Wind power is worthless. It's erratic, unpredictable, expensive to maintain, and require supplemental conventional power plant to smooth the power curve. Why not just leave the conventional power plant on and spend the money on making them clean instead of this cockamamie wind bullshit?

They had some problems in Washington and Oregon a few years back. One company was putting them up faster than the infrastructure could handle them so the power couldn't get to the grid and even if it did...the grid couldn't handle it. Then in the spring you get the run off so the dams are pulling overtime and since hydro is king the power comes from the dams first and wind second. This could be of similar problems or something else entirely.
                          Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

I really don't get Palm Springs. It's like "I enjoy being in Southern California, but I'm way too close to the beach. Let's move inland where we still have to pay high taxes, but it's 40 degrees hotter in the summer, and without the ocean breeze or beach bunnies."
                            Yeah, me neither; I basically have the same weather they do down there (blazing hot in the summer, freezing cold & foggy in the winter), but without the Mercedes-Benz's and the country clubs.
                            "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Always thought the wind turbines were a tax dodge/shelter for the wealthy especially certain corporations. Still do. We have a very large amount around the Altamont Pass most of which are never spinning.

http://www.nofrackingway.us/2015/04/...-shelter-scam/

https://www.wind-watch.org/documents...om-income-tax/

http://nlpc.org/stories/2011/08/03/d...m-buying-spree

Comment

• OPEC Doesn’t Know How It Can ‘Live Together’ With Shale Oil

Bloomberg

Dan Murtaugh and Javier Blas

1 day ago

OPEC and U.S. shale may need a relationship counselor.

After first ignoring it, later worrying about it and ultimately launching a price war against it, OPEC has now concluded it doesn’t know how to coexist with the U.S. shale oil industry.

"Shale oil in the United States, I don’t know how we are going to live together," Abdalla Salem El-Badri, OPEC secretary- general, told a packed room of industry executives from Texas and North Dakota at the annual IHS CERAWeek meeting in Houston.

The Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, which controls about 40 percent of global oil production, has never had to deal with an oil supply source that can respond as rapidly to price changes as U.S. shale, El-Badri said. That complicates the cartel’s ability to prop up prices by reducing output.

“Any increase in price, shale will come immediately and cover any reduction," he said.

Shale Output

The International Energy Agency earlier on Monday gave OPEC reason to worry about shale oil, saying that total U.S. crude output, most of it from shale basins, will increase by 1.3 million barrels a day from 2015 to 2021 despite low prices. While U.S. production from shale is projected to retreat by 600,000 barrels a day this year and a further 200,000 in 2017, it will grow again from 2018 onward, the IEA said.

“Anybody who believes that we have seen the last of rising" U.S. shale oil production "should think again,” the IEA said in its medium-term report.

OPEC launched a price war against U.S. shale and other high-cost producers, including Canadian oil sands and Brazilian deep-water oilfields, in November 2014 by not reducing output despite a global oversupply. Since then, oil prices have plunged by more than half, hitting a 12-year low of about $26 on Feb. 11.

In a rare admission that the policy hasn’t worked out as planned, El-Badri said that OPEC didn’t expect oil prices to drop this much when it decided to keep pumping near flat-out.

Strategy Shift

OPEC’s strategy began to shift last week, when the oil ministers of Saudi Arabia and Russia agreed to freeze their output at the January level, provided other oil-rich countries joined. El-Badri said the new policy will be evaluated in three to four months before deciding whether to take other steps.

“This is the first step to see what we can achieve,” he said. “If this is successful, we will take other steps in the future.” He refused to explain what steps OPEC could take.

El-Badri said low oil prices have caused companies to cut too much spending on developing new output, which could plant the seed for “a very high price” in the future.

“The concern is no investment now, no supply in the future. It’s as simple as that,” he said. “If there’s no supply coming to the market, prices will go up.”

To contact the reporters on this story: Dan Murtaugh in Houston at [email protected]; Javier Blas in Houston at [email protected] To contact the editors responsible for this story: David Marino at [email protected] Susan Warren
                                http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/marke...oil/ar-BBpPIAX

Like I said, predatory pricing doesn't work in the real world.

And who was it 8 years ago said "drill, baby, drill" and "drill here, drill now?" I can't remember now. It must be someone very smart. Was it The Obama, the smartest president in US history? He surely have foreseen this technological revolution. And doubters said at the time new oil wouldn't reach market place for at least 10 to 15 years. We are on the brink of rendering OPEC obsolete, thanks to fracking.

By the way, Russians are pulling more oil out of the ground now than ever before. Their depleted wells are producing oil again, thanks to fracking.

Comment

Working...
                                X