Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taliban: 'New weapon' downed US Chinook in Afghanistan

'New weapon' downed US Chinook in Afghanistan

The Taliban claims to have used a new weapon to shoot down a US military helicopter in a remote region of Afghanistan.

The 17 US troops, including special forces, aboard the Chinook helicopter that crashed after being hit by ground fire in an anti-militant operation are believed to have died, a US official said.

The casualties from Tuesday's crash would be the heaviest for US forces in an incident linked to hostile fire in Afghanistan since they invaded to overthrow the Taliban in 2001.

"We presume that all were lost," said a US official in Washington, who asked not to be identified, when asked if all those aboard - including elite US Seals Special Operations troops - had been killed in the crash.

The official said that the twin-rotor CH-47 Chinook was believed to have been hit by a rocket-propelled grenade in mountainous terrain near the border with Pakistan, an attack claimed by Taliban guerrillas.

Taliban spokesman Abdul Latif Hakimi said fighters shot down the aircraft in the village of Shorak using "a new type of weapon" he did not describe.

"This is a huge success for the Taliban," he said, adding that the fighters had video of the crash and would post photographs on their web site.

More at:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...6/s1403572.htm
    To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

It was proably new about 40 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith601
      It was proably new about 40 years ago.
      NOTR has some thoughts on this at his blog. He was a former Army Aviator and has some interesting thoughts. We'll see in the next few days what comes out of the investigation of the wreckage.

http://rofasix.blogspot.com/
      "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Fox is saying it was downed by an RPG. Seems like just an unlikely shot. But it could have been a SAM, I guess.

Comment

Could have been an RPG or some left over black market MANPAD (SA-x/xx or maybe an ANZA-x/xx)...
          To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

Unlikely shot my ass.

You ever seen how big a Chinook is in person?

I've said for years the MH-47 was a STUPID f'ing idea. It's just ENTIRELY too big(and oh yeah, LOUD) for the role.

This is the second one we've lost over there, and both times the loss of highly trained specops personnel was very high.

Comment

If it was landing a RPG shot wouldn't be out of the question. If it was operating at altitude though a SAM is much more likely.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                Unlikely shot my ass.

I've said for years the MH-47 was a STUPID f'ing idea. It's just ENTIRELY too big(and oh yeah, LOUD) for the role.

This is the second one we've lost over there, and both times the loss of highly trained specops personnel was very high.
                I'm no military expert. So I'll yield the floor to those of you who know what you're talking about.

Comment

Unlikely shot my ass.

The Chinook is the only helicopter with enough lift to fly at the altitudes found in much of Afghanistan. Without it, AQ and the Taliban would be able to have sanctuaries at altitude that would be pretty untouchable except by dismounted movements from lower altitudes - not the best of tactics.

With an ACL of being able to carry an infantry platoon at sea level, it had trouble flying small spec ops teams with less than 10 operators during Anaconda at the higher altitudes above the Shai Kot Valley.

Also, it is the fastest lift helicopter in the US inventory, and I'm sure the MH-47s are even faster thanks to their more powerful engines.

My question would be what SEAD fires were planned and executed to support the movement of this MH-47.
                  "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Originally posted by shek
                    The Chinook is the only helicopter with enough lift to fly at the altitudes found in much of Afghanistan. Without it, AQ and the Taliban would be able to have sanctuaries at altitude that would be pretty untouchable except by dismounted movements from lower altitudes - not the best of tactics.

With an ACL of being able to carry an infantry platoon at sea level, it had trouble flying small spec ops teams with less than 10 operators during Anaconda at the higher altitudes above the Shai Kot Valley.

Also, it is the fastest lift helicopter in the US inventory, and I'm sure the MH-47s are even faster thanks to their more powerful engines.

My question would be what SEAD fires were planned and executed to support the movement of this MH-47.
                    Would the CH-53E have enough lift to make that high? I do not know. It may not b/c there are a lot of photos showing Marines debarking from a CH-47.

Comment

Originally posted by JCT
                      Would the CH-53E have enough lift to make that high? I do not know. It may not b/c there are a lot of photos showing Marines debarking from a CH-47.
                      It could, I should have stated "in the Army inventory." I've only been on UH-1s, UH-60s, CH-47s, and a MH-47.

Comment

"The Chinook is the only helicopter with enough lift to fly at the altitudes found in much of Afghanistan."

I had thought the MH-53 could operate at those altitudes(big 7 bladed main rotor), but i could be mistaken.

Guess someone will have to look it up...

Comment

Guess someone will have to look it up...
                          Max altitude of the MH-53 is 12000 meters.

Comment

Max altitude of the MH-53 is 12000 meters.
                            Did the site talk about ACL at 12,000-18,000 feet? My guess is that it's pretty similar to the MH-47, both of which are probably greater than the CH-53.

Comment

The Chinook is the only helicopter with enough lift to fly at the altitudes found in much of Afghanistan.
                              That's true. During OEF it was able to lift a full G-B team and all their equipment unlike the MH-60/UH-60 at hieght... and those guys carried a lot of equipment...

Comment

Working...
                              X