Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: North Korea nuke test

Even With Failures, North Korea's Nuclear Program Races Ahead

Last week, the U.S. and South Korea say they detected a failed North Korean missile test, probably of Musudan intermediate-range ballistic missiles. And last month, Pyongyang conducted a fifth nuclear test.

"The (U.S.) president-elect is going to face a problem from North Korea that none of his predecessors or her predecessors have faced," says Jami Miscik, former CIA deputy director for intelligence. "It is well on the way to becoming not just a nuclear power, but a power able to deliver a nuclear missile."

I still can't help but think that we have an OPLAN out there somewhere that is designed just for this specific contingency; a couple of Trident D5's or Minuteman LGM-30G's would certainly do the trick.
    "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Senior Contributor SteveDaPirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
    I still can't help but think that we have an OPLAN out there somewhere that is designed just for this specific contingency; a couple of Trident D5's or Minuteman LGM-30G's would certainly do the trick.
    If at all possible, I don't think we want to be the ones to deal with the aftermath of any North Korean regime removal. The refugee crisis would be just as bad or worse than Syria. North Korean refugees are far less likely to have marketable skills compared to their Syrian counterparts, which will hurt their chances of integration into other societies.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
    If at all possible, I don't think we want to be the ones to deal with the aftermath of any North Korean regime removal. The refugee crisis would be just as bad or worse than Syria. North Korean refugees are far less likely to have marketable skills compared to their Syrian counterparts, which will hurt their chances of integration into other societies.
    I've heard it said that that would probably be the most severe and far-reaching result of any large, armed conflict with NorK, is the refugee crisis, which would probably overwhelm both China and South Korea (probably mostly China).
    "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Idiot Mode [ON] OFF Senior Contributor YellowFever's Avatar
    I've had a discussion with my brother a few months ago about this and he takes the opposite view.

His take on it is that the North Koreans are docile after 60 years of Kim's rule and as long as there isn't a vast amount of "Western news" flowing into North Korea, it should be OK.

They will do what the authorities tell them to do and a lot of them are still under the illusion that they live better than anybody on earth.

It will be a huge burden financially but he discounts any sort of civil unrest.

There will probably be more South Koreans crossing the border with food and such to help their families than anything else.

There are huge "save the North" campaigns all over Korea by groups of private citizens for contingencies for when the war is over (and we would have presumably won). The sad thing about it is it's mostly run by older people that still remember the Korean War (the young couldn't care less) and government is not helping at all.

The know-how to farm and grow food is there. It's the infrastructure that lacks.

I hope this happens...my family owns (on paper at least) about 150 acres about 20 miles North of the DMZ. :D
    Last edited by YellowFever; 26 Oct 16, at 22:15.

Thread Information