No announcement yet.

1/48 Stearman PT-17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do you get the stainless steel rod? That sounds interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Builder 2010 View Post
      Where do you get the stainless steel rod? That sounds interesting.
      Its from K&S Engineering. They call it music wire.

http://ksmetals.com/17.html

I think I picked it up at Hobby Lobby

Comment

Using the thread for rigging between the struts

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0547.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	435.5 KB
ID:	1468329

Using fishing leader for the tail rigging

Name:	100_0548.JPG
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	1468330Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0549.JPG
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	1468331

Comment

What I did today

Decals are a bit thick. Micro Sol worked real good though.

If you plan on building one of these. Don't use the N numbers on the tail. Its the civilian registration for the plane that Revell copied.

Other things to note. Part 71(backseat panel in cockpit) should not be used. Its for a post war acrobatic plane. The Army bird gets the wooden prop.

I added the red fire extinguisher decal to the Army plane. Looking at old pictured, some had it some didn't. I though it gave a bit of color.

All thats left is adding the top wing, rigging the struts and adding the prop

Name:	bottom.JPG
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	1468332Click image for larger version

Name:	side.JPG
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	1468333Click image for larger version

Name:	top.JPG
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	1468334Click image for larger version

Name:	motor.JPG
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	1468335

Comment

The stainless steel rod is the way to go for rigging. After fiddling round a bit, figured out how to make it simple. Got about half way done. Then ran out of rod. And Hobby lobby doesn't open on Sunday.

All thats left is to finish the rigging and do a bit of touch up. Then she is done

Final Pictures.

Name:	fuselage wires.JPG
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	1468340Click image for larger version

Name:	wing wires.JPG
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1468341Click image for larger version

Name:	front biplane.JPG
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	1468342Click image for larger version

Name:	Front wires.JPG
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	1468343Click image for larger version

Name:	top done.JPG
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	1468344

Comment

I am curious if you add any weathering to your planes or just build them clean?

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                I am curious if you add any weathering to your planes or just build them clean?
                I'll clean this up once I finish the rigging.

I'm not a big fan of weathering models. Unless it is in a diorama. I also think that the current fad of making things dirty as hell is unrealistic.

This is the first plane I've built since 1980

Comment

GG, I'm with you on the weathering thing, which is why I tend to stick to subjects that don't require much weathering (like aircraft). Probably because I'm not very good at it! I have weathered models in the past, but it's been a very long time, and I'm sure I've lost the touch. I'll just stick to what I know . . .
                  "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Update

In my quest to find what I like for airplane rigging, I built another Stearman.

Its a really fun, and quick building plane. This would be a great plane to build in 1/32 scale. The aftermarket companies could go hogwild. 4 different engines were used. 3 or 4 different props.

A model screaming to be detailed.

This time I did it in a all yellow scheme. Sprayed Model Master white primer on everything. Then hit it with the rattle can yellow I used on the first bird. End results. I have one more plane that I need to use yellow on (F-16 fro first pics in thread). Then I will never do big patches of yellow again.

This time I used 6lb (0.007in) fly tying tippet line. Drilled much smaller holes. I think this looks better than the other ways I tried. After everything was finished ran a brush with Vallejo Natural steel over the lines.

Name:	yellow 1.JPG
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	1468554Click image for larger version

Name:	yellow 2.JPG
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	1468555Click image for larger version

Name:	yellow 3.jpg
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	1468556Click image for larger version

Name:	yellow 4.jpg
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	1468557Click image for larger version

Name:	both.jpg
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	1468558

Comment

I think you've done a great job on both of them. The Stearman is a really pretty aircraft... very balanced in appearance. I tend to weather things that look like they're in use, not abuse. Narrow gauge folks and some of the armor modelers like to weather stuff to the point of ready for the scrap yard. I weather roofs because that's where the weather actually hits first. Military aircraft in today's armed services are pretty well maintained especially since most of them aren't on a war footing other than F-18s doing the job in the Mid-East. It's essential for modern aircraft to keep them clean so leaks can be detected easily. Modern electronics doesn't mix well with weathering. Most museum models are never weathered. As you said, if you're making a diorama or vignette, then you weather according to the rest of the display. Regarding my trains, I'm probably going to start weathering some of my rolling stock. None of it will ever be sold for a profit so I might as well start making it look a little more real.

Comment

Working...
                      X