No announcement yet.

Star Wars Episode VII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting back to the whole "initial reactions are at least overwhelmingly positive but you could say the same thing happened with The Phantom Menace"

This is pretty much true except for a few caveats:

It ain't 1999 anymore. We're no longer the movie-going audience of 16 years ago.

Viewers have had all three prequels disappoint them like a chronic case of E.D. and other franchise blockbusters have been rampant in the past several years (Avatar, The Avengers).

Audiences are a bit harder to fool right out of the box these days, especially a Star Wars fandom that is still smarting from the last bowl movement* that George Lucas dumped on us 10 years ago.

*Thank you Mr Plinkett
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Advance ticket sales surpassed $100 million in North America so far, new record.

Gotta give Disney credit, they know how to market a movie.
      Last edited by TopHatter; 16 Dec 15,, 04:28.
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

As expected, most of the reviews are glowingly positive, but say there is a total lack of originality and it rehashes A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back.

Worse, they say that to talk about the story at all would give away spoilers and plot twists, which makes me think JJ Abrams has pulled a M Night Sham-lama-lan and confused plot twists with story.
        "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
          As expected, most of the reviews are glowingly positive, but say there is a total lack of originality and it rehashes A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back.

Worse, they say that to talk about the story at all would give away spoilers and plot twists, which makes me think JJ Abrams has pulled a M Night Sham-lama-lan and confused plot twists with story.
          In that case, I have to avoid the Web until Sunday. CRAP! Guess I'll have party like it's 1985. :-(

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
            In that case, I have to avoid the Web until Sunday. CRAP! Guess I'll have party like it's 1985. :-(
            Same, not a problem though. We have an 18 person dinner party on Saturday night, no one who will have seen the movie prior to that.

And guess who has to clean.... >:/
            "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	1467979
              Han Solo, Darth Vader, Princess Leia, Chewbacca, R2D2 and Luke Skywalker waiting for a bus
              In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Star Wars Imperial March by Ottoman Mehter by Vodafone

a must see! :D
                Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none; be able for thine enemy rather in power than use; and keep thy friend under thine own life's key; be checked for silence, but never taxed for speech.

Comment

Still my favorite Star Wars song:
                  https://youtu.be/QqedbxGxfgE

Comment

Saw it today. Best Star Wars film since Return...or even Empire. No spoilers, but while the plot is incredibly derivative, it is more than made up for by the absolute love for the originals shown by Abrams. There are hat tips aplenty. In fact, there are layers of them. it is a true fan film. The new characters are good (no f**king Jar Jar), the cute characters are not overdone (n f**king ewoks) and the returning characters are just wonderful. The CGI is used well too - these don't have the soulless feel of the prequels.

I talked about this today with a mate of mine who is the same age as me. He saw it yesterday. We were both the perfect age in 1977 and saw it when it was released. We both felt the magic of that first film & we both felt the magic this time. We both teared up a couple of times in this one as we were transported back to our childhoods.

My nephew is the same age now I was when I first saw Star Wars. He is a massive Star Wars fan. I managed to find an original (if slightly worn) 1979 Millenium Falcon to give him for Christmas - one of the ones made for the figurines to sit in. He'll be the only kid in school with one. Last week he saw his first rock concert - AC/DC. This week he sees his first new release Star Wars film. I am SO glad it will be this one. Hopefully he will experience some of the exhilaration we all felt back in 1977.

This film was clearly designed to get Star Wars fans old & new on the same page for the story as it unfolds. I suspect the biggest danger for whoever does the next one is living up to the sheer joy & nostalgia of this. It won't be easy.
                    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Saw it last night...Why couldn't this be the movie we were all panting to see back in 1999?

Not going to say it was without a disappointment or two. But this movie at it's absolute worst was lightyears better than the prequels at their very best.

Looking forward to the next films in the series!

Comment

Now that I've changed my name, country of residence and sex, (call me Samantha) I feel somewhat safer in saying I was bored senseless. Same plot as episodes IV, V & VI. I mean exactly the same plot, with 21st century gay romance including black man. Oh look, they blew up a Death Star. Bored. Bored bored bored. (Witness protection plan goes into action)
                        In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Spoiler: stormtroopers can actually hit some of their targets in this movie!
                          "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Agree with Samantha.

Felt like I was watching a remake instead of a continuation of a story. I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it more than I thought I would have....but that's only because the prequels were so horrendous.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                              This film was clearly designed to get Star Wars fans old & new on the same page for the story as it unfolds. I suspect the biggest danger for whoever does the next one is living up to the sheer joy & nostalgia of this. It won't be easy.
                              I suspect Disney isn't going to "fix what ain't broken", so I'm guessing (barring any contract disputes) that they'll stick with a proven winner, and Abrams will direct at least the next movie in the series, if not all of them.
                              "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Spoilers!

The best parts:
                                The acting, plot and pacing were excellent. Yes the plot was derivative. That's ok in my book because they still worked.

The characters, I actually cared about them. When our heroes were in peril, I gave a damn. I hoped they'd be ok.

The worst parts:

The music...

What. Happened. To. The. MUSIC. *Head Explodes*

John Williams composed this? Why did he bother? This could've been any generic action movie score. Horribly disappointing, especially after the magnificent trailer scores.
                                As I was watching the movie, it felt somewhat hollow, like something was badly missing. About halfway through the movie, I figured it out. :-(

Most of the costumes looked cheap, ill-fitting, hodge-podge and thoroughly uninteresting. Ditto the non-legacy blaster props (i.e. everything but Han Solo's C96).

There was a lot of breezy "hand-waving" of events and characters. Things happened too conveniently.

Comment

Working...
                                X