Star Wars Episode VII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
    Wait a second! A USMC Gunnery Sgt is admitting to a Canadian Forces LCol that US Marines have no Jedi powers?
    We have Jarhead Power. Stronger than any make believe movie special effect.

It was good for Dan Daily and Chesty Puller and its good enough for me

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
      Grown men discussing a kids movie. Really?

[ATTACH]40670[/ATTACH]
      Don't you watch K-pop?
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

K-POP is here and now.

What you're discussing happened a long time ago.....in a galaxy far, far away to boot.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
          Don't you watch K-pop?
          I listen to all kinds of music. Just about everything but country and gospel.

Whats that got to do with a kids movie?

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
            Saw it today. Best Star Wars film since Return...or even Empire. No spoilers, but while the plot is incredibly derivative, it is more than made up for by the absolute love for the originals shown by Abrams. There are hat tips aplenty. In fact, there are layers of them. it is a true fan film. The new characters are good (no f**king Jar Jar), the cute characters are not overdone (n f**king ewoks) and the returning characters are just wonderful. The CGI is used well too - these don't have the soulless feel of the prequels.

I talked about this today with a mate of mine who is the same age as me. He saw it yesterday. We were both the perfect age in 1977 and saw it when it was released. We both felt the magic of that first film & we both felt the magic this time. We both teared up a couple of times in this one as we were transported back to our childhoods.

My nephew is the same age now I was when I first saw Star Wars. He is a massive Star Wars fan. I managed to find an original (if slightly worn) 1979 Millenium Falcon to give him for Christmas - one of the ones made for the figurines to sit in. He'll be the only kid in school with one. Last week he saw his first rock concert - AC/DC. This week he sees his first new release Star Wars film. I am SO glad it will be this one. Hopefully he will experience some of the exhilaration we all felt back in 1977.

This film was clearly designed to get Star Wars fans old & new on the same page for the story as it unfolds. I suspect the biggest danger for whoever does the next one is living up to the sheer joy & nostalgia of this. It won't be easy.
            Many of the over 40 fans left after Phantom Menace with many of us not even watching the next two. The idea was to bring back those fans with a peace offering. This movie wasn't meant to break new ground or take risks. It was supposed to recreate a favorite recipe from our childhood. I expect the next movie to blaze a different path. In a sense, this movie killed the ghost of Jar Jar Binks, but it also killed Han Solo, the most beloved character from IV-VI, as an indication it would tell a new story.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
              Wait a second! A USMC Gunnery Sgt is admitting to a Canadian Forces LCol that US Marines have no Jedi powers?
              Colonel, that's because the Jedis were TRAINED by USMC Gunnery Sergeants! Even this Army grunt knows that!
              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
              Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                Colonel, that's because the Jedis were TRAINED by USMC Gunnery Sergeants! Even this Army grunt knows that!
                But the GS is making a models from Army planes. I am lost.
                No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                  "You will bring the wookie...along with a beer to me and stand at attention with your thumb out of your ass."

"The council better understand that stinkin' little light sabre ain't got nuthin' on me and Mr. Pig here"

"Stick that lightsabre up your ass, I will, you little wanna be Geico Lizard if you don't talk straight!"

"What, not only are you a padawan but you're also a college boy? WTF is happening to my beloved corp???"

"The princess ain't interested in a tumble tonight boy...looks like you'll have to go to Hand Solo again."

Yeah..I can see it now. :)
                  Last edited by YellowFever; 23 Feb 16,, 18:29.

Comment

lol, frankly the movie bored me to tears-- they might as well have called it Star Wars the 2016 Remake. better than the prequels but that's not a high bar.

yeah, yeah, I understand JJ Abrams meant this to be a homage to the original trilogy but really, he could have done a bit better than almost literally replaying EVERY SCENE (desert planet/death star hallway/cantina/death via falling/x-wings going down a canyon) with the almost exact same plot and no character development. going for the easy applause scenes.

also suffers from "villain sucks" department, with kylo ren and an eminently forgettable Emperor replacement.

and because of that, the heroes suffered as well: han solo deserved a better end than what looks like a poorly thought out domestic altercation.
                    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Bah....you make a lousy fanboi.
                      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
                        lol, frankly the movie bored me to tears-- they might as well have called it Star Wars the 2016 Remake. better than the prequels but that's not a high bar.

yeah, yeah, I understand JJ Abrams meant this to be a homage to the original trilogy but really, he could have done a bit better than almost literally replaying EVERY SCENE (desert planet/death star hallway/cantina/death via falling/x-wings going down a canyon) with the almost exact same plot and no character development. going for the easy applause scenes.

also suffers from "villain sucks" department, with kylo ren and an eminently forgettable Emperor replacement.

and because of that, the heroes suffered as well: han solo deserved a better end than what looks like a poorly thought out domestic altercation.
                        Like! My exact thoughts when I left the movie theater.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnet View Post
                          Many of the over 40 fans left after Phantom Menace with many of us not even watching the next two. The idea was to bring back those fans with a peace offering. This movie wasn't meant to break new ground or take risks. It was supposed to recreate a favorite recipe from our childhood. I expect the next movie to blaze a different path. In a sense, this movie killed the ghost of Jar Jar Binks, but it also killed Han Solo, the most beloved character from IV-VI, as an indication it would tell a new story.
                          That's exactly it, perfectly stated. Disney has a massive empire (no pun intended) that it's planning to put out here.
                          (A decent chunk of that empire is currently in production.)
                          They had to restore the franchise to commercial viability and fan acceptance after the prequels. They succeeded spectacularly IMO.

Having said that, I'm going to expect a lot more from Episode VIII and IX and Rogue One.
                          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Han had to die, so he can move back to a cooler franchise, the reboot of Blade Runner! He (Rick Deckard), will be busy blasting replicant ass!

Comment

Originally posted by surfgun View Post
                              Han had to die, so he can move back to a cooler franchise, the reboot of Blade Runner! He (Rick Deckard), will be busy blasting replicant ass!
                              Han may(!) be dead but that doesn't mean that Harrison Ford isn't going to be in Episode VII

Oh, spoiler alert, he will be ;-)
                              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                                Oh, spoiler alert, he will be ;-)
                                Who cares? The story is so out of whack, it ain't funny. The new Repulic ain't got enough spies to figure out Star Killer?
                                Chimo

Comment

Working...
                                X