X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US announces that all combat roles are to be opened to women

From Reuters:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...0TM28520151204
    If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Good thing the cav isn't living on the border anymore...

Comment

From my favorite Marine Corps spokesman "Terminal Lance"

Comment

The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff didn't exactly sound 'chuffed' about the whole idea. I particularly liked that bit about giving the Defense Secretary him 'best advice', oh to be a fly in the wall at that meeting! So it will be interesting to see how much foot dragging occurs - maybe in the hope that a future Republican President will reverse the decision (not likely in my opinion).
        If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

Why not?

When the rate of training accidents skyrockets or God-forbid,a disaster occurs on some battlefield...

Thing is,this hipster crusade will carry on with an attack on standards.Standards are sexist.They will have to be adjusted to a more diverse,more inclusive and more representative selection of recruits,blah,blah...
          Those who know don't speak
          He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Standards. That's the elephant in the room isn't it? If, as the article implies the US military intends to stick to a strict policy of maintaining physical fitness standards across all operational roles (regardless of gender) there shouldn't be an issue. The key thing of course is that such standards can be, are and will be measured independently and validated scientifically. So yes, 'hipsters' as you put it could start a push for a reduction in physical fitness standards in the name of gender politics but they would be caught out by the numbers. A more likely outcome (assuming for the moment that significant numbers of female recruits can't pass the physical fitness tests in question) is simply that only a very small % of woman will end up in combat roles. Time will tell if there is a sufficient enough 'critical mass' of female warriors to make the Policy something other than a token gesture. Personally I hope it works out but we will see.

Comment

Personally I hope it will fail miserably,preferably before too many women are injured in training and defeats+subsequent deaths and mutilations happen in the field.
              He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Bone density matters, muscle mass matters... estrogen is no replacement for testosterone.

Comment

Guys, the key word is "open" for women, NOT mandatory. Any woman who wants to be there and can make the cut, more power to her. Those who can't make it, won't, just like men.

I am, however, against putting women in harms way. Women are far more valuable to a society than men. They should be assets to be protected rather than risked. Men are much easier to replace in a population.

My view has nothing to do with "rights" or "capability."
                  "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

gunnut,

Women are far more valuable to a society than men. They should be assets to be protected rather than risked. Men are much easier to replace in a population.
                    concern for the group vs individual rights? I knew the registered Democrat in you would come out one day...;-)
                    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                      I am, however, against putting women in harms way. Women are far more valuable to a society than men. They should be assets to be protected rather than risked. Men are much easier to replace in a population.
                      Very Robert A. Heinlein of you GN :)

Comment

Biology says so.Women can be impregnated before dying gloriously in battle.Or the survivors can do this hard task with multiple women.Thus the population recovers quickly.
                        With women gone,men cannot bear offspring.

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
                          gunnut,

concern for the group vs individual rights? I knew the registered Democrat in you would come out one day...;-)
                          Not really. I am not concerned with rights. This is biology talking. The same biology that states men are physically stronger than women. Women can be just as vicious, but not in the overt way that men are.

Women

Originally posted by Monash View Post
                          Very Robert A. Heinlein of you GN :)
                          Yes, thank you. I have very high regards for Heinlein. I think he's one of the most brilliant authors of the 20th century.

Originally posted by Mihais View Post
                          Biology says so.Women can be impregnated before dying gloriously in battle.Or the survivors can do this hard task with multiple women.Thus the population recovers quickly.
                          With women gone,men cannot bear offspring.
                          Bingo!

A population of 1 man and 100 women would grow exponentially faster than a population of 100 men and 1 woman. Of course the population of 100 men and 1 woman would literally dominate the population of 1 man and 100 women. That's just biology.
                          Last edited by gunnut; 10 Dec 15,, 22:57.

Comment

As long as registering for the draft becomes mandatory for all women at age 18, I'm all for those equal rights.

Question now is, how many women will actually sign up for infantry, armor, arty, etc? And will the standards and requirements change based on gender?
                            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

By the way, I'm also for getting rid of Title IX, merging the WNBA and NBA, merging WPGA and PGA, eliminating the segregation of gender in all sports. Only then, can we have true equality.

Comment

Working...
                              X