No announcement yet.

HMS Queen Elizabeth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In terms of flight deck space, I think only the Nimitz and new Ford class have more real estate that the CVF.
    The air wing could be very lonely :P
    Click image for larger version

Name:	CarrierDecks2014.gif
Views:	2
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	1468357
    "Liberty is a thing beyond all price.

Comment

Originally posted by Tin Man View Post
      In terms of flight deck space, I think only the Nimitz and new Ford class have more real estate that the CVF.
      The air wing could be very lonely :P
      Won't be that bad, what does a US carrier deploy with these days .. about 53 fix-wing aircraft plus Seahawks?

Comment

Originally posted by JA Boomer View Post
        Won't be that bad, what does a US carrier deploy with these days .. about 53 fix-wing aircraft plus Seahawks?
        Carefull with those comparisons. The UK CV is designed for STOVL opps; has no wires or catapults. This immediatly transforms the deck design.

Comment

It sounds like these QE's will regularly deploy with about 20 aircraft total! That is unless the USMC sends a tag along air group of F-35b's and V-22's.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
            A nice comparison between Queen Elizabeth and Illustrious

[ATTACH]40606[/ATTACH]
            Yeah, and then they go ditch CATOBAR...

Comment

Originally posted by chanjyj View Post
              Yeah, and then they go ditch CATOBAR...
              It was too expensive, changing the ship- Notice the deck doesn't have any angled area. Which would mean redesigning not just the CATOBAR areas, but also, at least, the entire port side of the deck. And it's supports.

Comment

The QE was designed for an angled deck.

http://ukarmedforcescommentary.blogs...uture.html?m=1

Comment

Originally posted by surfgun View Post
                  The QE was designed for an angled deck.

http://ukarmedforcescommentary.blogs...uture.html?m=1
                  OooO! So, they just paint it over? Ok...

Comment

I still don't get this thing the Royal Navy has for the ski jump.

F-8Bs and F-35Bs have more than enough space to take off, fully loaded, on a Wasp/America Class LHD.

All the ramp does is take up valuable deck space.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                      I still don't get this thing the Royal Navy has for the ski jump.

F-8Bs and F-35Bs have more than enough space to take off, fully loaded, on a Wasp/America Class LHD.

All the ramp does is take up valuable deck space.
                      Fully? You sure? But how much fuel do they burn doing that?

Comment

Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
                        Not enough to justify the wasted deck space from a ramp.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                          Not enough to justify the wasted deck space from a ramp.
                          One point: for the USMC will be just 1 more support option. For the Rn it will be their only asset. So they will have to get every scrap of performance out of it. Since they chose the STOVL option, they'll need the ramp.

Comment

QE at sea and underway.
                            https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-ggXhn_uNog

Comment

Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
                              Upsloping runways require more fuel and longer ground roll for any aircraft. I tried to find why the ski ramp is better. Combined with a head wind you can get a shorter ground roll but ditto for a level runway. I think the real benefit is when the aircraft leaves the ramp it will be in the proper climb profile and you have a lot more freeboard if you have unload the nose to accelerate. I didn't look that hard.

The Navy ramp located at NAS Patuxent River was the sight of the first F-35B ski jump take off . Marines have done exchange duty with RN Squadrons, yet they haven't clamored for the ramps.
                              Last edited by Dazed; 15 Jul 17,, 02:41.

Comment

http://www.businessinsider.com/drone...noticed-2017-8

An amateur drone pilot managed to land on the new Queen Elizabeth aircraft carrier completely unnoticed

An amateur drone pilot landed on Britain's new Queen Elizabeth aircraft carrier without anybody noticing.

The pilot, who has not been publicly identified, recorded video of the huge warship while it was docked in Invergordon in the Scottish Highlands last month.

He then landed his vehicle — a DJI Phantom — on the deck and took numerous photographs of the apparently abandoned aircraft.

The pilot posted the footage on a local drone photography Facebook group, Black Isle Images, on Friday morning. Here it is:

Photographs of the flight deck taken while the drone was landed were also featured by media outlets including the BBC and MailOnline.

He claims to have landed on the ship accidentally due to unexpected high winds that triggered an automatic landing function in his drone.

In an interview with the BBC, the pilot said there was nothing stopping him dropping explosives on the ship, and that the ease of his landing exposed a major security risk.

He said: "I could have carried two kilos of Semtex and left it on the deck."

He continued: "I would say my mistake should open their eyes to a glaring gap in security. This was a bit of tomfoolery but it could have been something terrible, not just for the ship and its crew but for the people of Invergordon."

Business Insider has contacted the pilot for comment.

A Ministry of Defence spokesman told the BBC said that the military has "stepped up our security measures" in light of the incident, which is being investigated by the police.

The Queen Elizabeth is currently sailing south from Scotland to Portsmouth. The ship's Twitter account posted this morning that it was in the Firth of Clyde, near Glasgow:

Comment

Working...
                                X