HMS Queen Elizabeth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snapper View Post
    So is it true that HMS QE "entered service" today without aircraft? Is it real?
    Correct, her fixed-wing complement (F-35B's) are not yet ready. So, they'll work up the ship's company and probably do helo ops until then.

Plenty to do even without the F-35's
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by snapper View Post
      She won't even have British aircraft on her first deployment in 2021. The USMC will embark a squadron of F-35sso that she can have some planes present.

http://www.janes.com/article/66308/f...ueen-elizabeth

The UK defence secretary confirmed on 15 December previously revealed plans to have the US Marine Corps (USMC) embark aboard the Royal Navy's new Queen Elizabeth aircraft carrier on its maiden operational deployment in 2021.

The announcement was made by Michael Fallon during a meeting in London with his US counterpart, Ashton Carter, and confirms plans already divulged by the UK Ministry of Defence (MoD) and US Department of Defense (DOD) to have the USMC operate its Lockheed Martin F-35B Lightning II Joint Strike Fighters (JSFs) on the carrier alongside those fielded by the Royal Navy (RN) and Royal Air Force (RAF).

"As Britain's pre-eminent operational partner, including in our current fight against [the Islamic State], the interoperability of British and American forces is crucial," Fallon said. "Having British and US F-35s alongside each other aboard HMS Queen Elizabeth on its first operational tour will further cement our close defence ties as Britain steps up internationally."

In July 2015 the USMC was the first F-35 operator to announce initial operating capability (IOC), and with deliveries progressing and squadrons being stood up the service is already advanced in ship trials of the short take-off and vertical landing (STOVL) aircraft aboard its own Wasp- and America-class amphibious assault vessels. In contrast, the UK has received just seven aircraft to date (of which four are training/test assets), and will not formally stand up its first operating unit or embark on ship trials until 2018.

With the USMC being a few years ahead of the UK in respect to standing up its F-35B capabilities, the arrival of the service aboard Queen Elizabeth will help 'de-risk' the ship for the RN by providing not only the know-how of flying this new aircraft type from the new aircraft carrier, but also by providing the JSF numbers needed while the RN and RAF continue to build up their own joint inventory.
      correction: She will have British Helos on the first deployment. Maybe a few F-35s. The UK wont have enough F-35s to deploy 24 aircraft until 2024
      https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/yes-...beth-aircraft/
      Last edited by Gun Grape; 08 Dec 17,, 01:49.

Comment

Except for "Pride", Why the UK didn't buy a America class LHA. A far more capable ship and at less cost.

Comment

Gungrape, I thought you did not think much of America Class since it does not have a well deck? Or am I mistaken? or are you referring to the next flight of the America Class LHA 8 Type?
          Regardless the QE has the speed edge over the America Class. So it can try to keep up with slower European destroyers.

Comment

I don't like the the America (LHA 6) class for a MEU. Loss of the well deck may help the ACE but the GCE and the CSSE suffer.

However, it seems like a good fit for the Brits. They want a aircraft carrier and have no need to launch LCAC/LCMs from it.

I don't think the few knots of top end speed makes a difference. In 7 Med Floats, I can think of only twice that we ran at max speed. And even then only for a few hours.

They want a max capability of 24 F-35s. The USMC already has a load plan for 22.

http://imagesvc.timeincapp.com/v3/fo...3Fquality%3D85

Watching f-35s taking off on the America they start their roll on the number 4 spot. Everything up to the port elevator could be used to park more F-35s or helos.

Last edited by Gun Grape; 08 Dec 17,, 19:34.

Comment

Ok, now that I have seen one take off I have a question. The cover over the fan can withstand what level of air pressure against it before it would collapse backwards? Not to mention the level of force needed to bring it back down against that air pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                Ok, now that I have seen one take off I have a question. The cover over the fan can withstand what level of air pressure against it before it would collapse backwards? Not to mention the level of force needed to bring it back down against that air pressure.
                It's the lift fan cover. it the section of the aircraft that produces something like 20000 lbs of vertical thrust the air of is being sucked down. It's more likely to close than stick open. The design speed of the door is probably well above normal operating limits. From what I read the door is only open during the vertical and transition stage of flight and of course PR photos.

Comment

If the cover was stuck open. My WAG fly until you are at recovery weight and land.

Comment

She was commissioned into the Royal Navy on 7 December 2017. In January 2018, Queen Elizabeth will sail to undergo her initial Operational Sea Training, before being taken into the North Atlantic for the first time for heavy weather trials and helicopter certification operations, before further work to make the ship ready to operate fixed-wing aircraft. In the latter half of 2018, Queen Elizabeth will sail for the United States where flying trials of the F-35B will begin. A "full operational capability" will be declared in 2020.... and yes very real!

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                      Except for "Pride", Why the UK didn't buy a America class LHA. A far more capable ship and at less cost.
                      Because we want to maintain our ship building capability and keep British people employed in British ship yards, which in turn helps the local economy. American shipyards get a big enough subsidy as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Dazed View Post
                        Harrier and 35B go around would be done in the flight phase once the transition to vertical flight begins you are pretty much committed. Fix wing on go around well you have to accelerate to V1 and go which requires distance hence the angled deck. Next time I'm in Beaufort SC I will find that out.
                        Looks like they are going to roll on. Roll straight and rig the barrier. http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone...-navy-carriers

Comment

Originally posted by Dazed View Post
                          Looks like they are going to roll on. Roll straight and rig the barrier. http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone...-navy-carriers
                          Good info thanks

Comment

Comment

CGI and beyond....

Originally posted by Toby View Post
                              The CGI used in this video is not disappointing to a "landlocked" kid on the Great Plains.
                              A jump ramp design designed on this new breed of CV has yet to be fully understood but I trust the future naval / air arm of the service has a "plan".

Comment

Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
                                The CGI used in this video is not disappointing to a "landlocked" kid on the Great Plains.
                                lol, I thought the same thing...why do they bother???

A jump ramp design designed on this new breed of CV has yet to be fully understood but I trust the future naval / air arm of the service has a "plan".
                                From the outset the MOD specified a Carrier capable of operating STOVL aircraft. At one point were in two minds as to continue or not due to cost of the STOVL variant. Those costs have now been clarified and so work continued without a Catapult system on the carrier. After reading Dazed last post, This does answer in large part your question. The carrier is designed for the F35B, because of what the F35B brings into the game. It can land at approx 60 miles an hour allowing excess fuel and weapons system not to be jettisoned. In other words its saving money.

Comment

Working...
                                X