Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: HMS Queen Elizabeth

Senior Contributor
    It is NOT QE2, just QE. Unlike Cunard and Yanks the RN does add a number after a ship named for a former or we would have had Ark Royal 4 etc... Her Majesty the Queen may go down in history as QE2 but she remains Queen Elizabeth.

Banned Senior Contributor
    How about LIZ2?

Global Moderator
    Comrade Commissar
    Quote Originally Posted by snapper View Post
    Unlike Cunard and Yanks the RN does add a number after a ship named for a former or we would have had Ark Royal 4 etc...
    That...doesn't make any sense. Neither the US nor the RN adds a number after a ship named for a previous vessel.
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat ~ Theodore Roosevelt

Defense ProfessionalSenior Contributor tbm3fan's Avatar
    How about Queenie and be done with it besides the ship's name will be whatever the sailors nickname it.

Senior Contributor
    "Lilibet".

I wonder why they named her 'Queen Elizabeth' ...are we now harking back to Tudor times and about to start plundering again??

and I must say the Use of 'Prince of Wales' would have me slightly perturbed if I were say French! ......hmmm I smell menace on the horizon!

Senior Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    I wonder why they named her 'Queen Elizabeth' ...are we now harking back to Tudor times and about to start plundering again??

and I must say the Use of 'Prince of Wales' would have me slightly perturbed if I were say French! ......hmmm I smell menace on the horizon!
    It's ridiculous, tbh. They "killed" the old carrier names and gave these battleship names. Why!??!

It ' ll be Some jobsworth sat behind a desk , playing around with his coloured pencils behind all this ......

and if the unthinkable happened as it has so many times before.....its bad enough, but naming it after your head of state?? ...Nah not for me....I find it all very strange and indulgent!
    Last edited by Toby; 26 Sep 17, at 20:58.

It ' ll be Some jobsworth sat behind a desk , playing around with his coloured pencils behind all this ......

and if the unthinkable happened as it has so many times before.....its bad enough, but naming it after your head of state?? ...Nah not for me....I find it all very strange and indulgent!
    The Illustrious Class had great names however I do believe the powers that be are trying to keep up with the colonies.

Quote Originally Posted by tbm3fan View Post
    The Illustrious Class had great names however I do believe the powers that be are trying to keep up with the colonies.
    Yeh, exactly what Jlvfr was aiming at..... good names for carriers . I agree! No way we can afford to keep up with the US...that would be a silly pipe dream..All we can hope to do is make a sizable contribution. As the US knows full well , A carrier can be placed anywhere and carry with it our name and what we stand for. Not sure of the logic behind the size as we were previously sold the invincible class on the merit that if they were sunk it was a lot less hitting the sea floor...but hey ho!
    Last edited by Toby; 26 Sep 17, at 23:22.

Well what I meant was Queen Elizabeth and Prince of Wales as compared to the George Bush and Gerald Ford in as far as naming.

We used to have great names like Yorktown and Lexington...
    Last edited by tbm3fan; 26 Sep 17, at 23:55.

Quote Originally Posted by tbm3fan View Post
    Well what I meant was Queen Elizabeth and Prince of Wales as compared to the George Bush and Gerald Ford in as far as naming.

We used to have great names like Yorktown and Lexington...
    Ah ok...see your point....I can understand names like Hood or Nelson or Nimitz etc.. but head of state on a warship looks like an ego trip to me.

Like naming a carrier after Carl Vinson and John Murtha (spit). I understand that CV did a lot for the Navy, but naming a carrier after him?

And John Murtha? He's only on an LPD, but come on! The rest of the class is named after US cities.

Contributor
    Ah ok...see your point....I can understand names like Hood or Nelson or Nimitz etc.. but head of state on a warship looks like an ego trip to me.
    Well Bush was a naval aviator and flew off carriers in WWII and Ford also served in the Pacific http://www.military.com/NewsContent/...121339,00.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dazed View Post
    Well Bush was a naval aviator and flew off carriers in WWII and Ford also served in the Pacific http://www.military.com/NewsContent/...121339,00.html
    But they weren't Naval or even military strategists...My mate Bob Badland use to be in the Navy ...Glad he didn't go into politics

Thread Information