Northrop Wins LRS-B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Monash View Post
    So I guess we could use them assuming they were equipped (or could be readily/inexpensively equipped) for maritime strike missions on surface targets.
    Actually, now that you mention the maritime aspect of it, maybe the LRSB would make sense; long loiter time, relatively long range (I assume), and a comprehensive electronics suite would make it an excellent maritime patrol and surveillance platform. Load it up with AGM-84's & NSM's, and you'd have an effective, long-range naval strike and surveillance aircraft.
    "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

It's called Global Hawk/BAMS.

F-111 was actually useless. Defence of Australia doctrine saw to that.
      Ego Numquam

Comment

As a branch chief in PM which has Northrup Grumman as their lead system integrator and producer....well, I hope that government PM had a nice career...cause these guys will kill it, sure as day.

May they have better luck.
        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
        Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
          Actually, now that you mention the maritime aspect of it, maybe the LRSB would make sense; long loiter time, relatively long range (I assume), and a comprehensive electronics suite would make it an excellent maritime patrol and surveillance platform. Load it up with AGM-84's & NSM's, and you'd have an effective, long-range naval strike and surveillance aircraft.
          pretty expensive for maritime patrol and surveillance when you could have this..............

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the...w-p-1718488424

sorry, the above link is the wrong article I was thinking of... still interesting, but the link below is what I had in mind.

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/exc...tem-1562912667

Exclusive pictures obtained by Foxtrot Alpha, taken by aviation photographer and friend of the site Russell Hill at Boeing Field in Seattle, where P-8 testing continues to take place, show the installation of the huge pontoon-like pod carried on the Poseidon's forward centerline. This boxy appendage is none other than a new and improved form of the shadowy Littoral Surveillance Radar System (LSRS), known as the Advanced Airborne Sensor (AAS).

This large flying radar was originally born as the AN/APS-149 in the highly classified "black" world. The basic goal of this advanced radar system program was to provide multi-function moving target detection and tracking, as well as high resolution ground mapping, all at standoff ranges. Additionally, the LSRS needed to work in over-water and over-land scenarios, including the area where those two mediums meet, known as the "littoral zone." This geographically complex coastal region has proven to be a challenging environment for traditional radar systems, and the Littoral Surveillance Radar System, which began development in the middle of the last decade, was designed with it primarily in mind.

I believe this radar (or a version of it?0 has is also being proposed for the new AWACS platform form as well?
          Last edited by bfng3569; 05 Nov 15,, 15:04.

Comment

I think P-8 and BAMS are going to be the standard for maritime patrol and surveillance for the foreseeable future, but I would be shocked if LRS-B doesn't end up with maritime strike capabilities, especially with LRASM being a part of the JASSM family of missiles, something that LRS-B will carry beyond the shadow of a doubt.

In the nearer term, the maritime strike capability that the B-1/LRASM combination is going to bring is absolutely amazing. So much firepower with so much speed and range, if BAMS can point them in the right direction, it will be scary to be an opfor surface ship.

Comment

one reason to use lrsb is that you may not want your opponents to know what you know and how you know it, and how to stop you from knowing.

Comment

Originally posted by HKDan View Post
                I think P-8 and BAMS are going to be the standard for maritime patrol and surveillance for the foreseeable future, but I would be shocked if LRS-B doesn't end up with maritime strike capabilities, especially with LRASM being a part of the JASSM family of missiles, something that LRS-B will carry beyond the shadow of a doubt.

In the nearer term, the maritime strike capability that the B-1/LRASM combination is going to bring is absolutely amazing. So much firepower with so much speed and range, if BAMS can point them in the right direction, it will be scary to be an opfor surface ship.
                That was more or less going to be my next post i.e. for the reasons you have enunciated the LRB would make a very good strike platform but would probably be less well suited to Recon/ASW roles than some of the other systems currently coming on line. That being the case leave it to do what it (should) do best - deliver a lot of firepower on time/on target against hostile surface groups.
                If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

And Naturally Boeing has protested.

Never did understand how on earth they managed to con the U.S Govt into over-riding the previous decision to go with the 767. Major mistake IMO.
                  Ego Numquam

Comment

Working...
                  X