Tracking India's development policies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tracking India's development policies

I'll start it off with this article - Government preparing law to let brick and mortar stores remain open throughout night

Excerpts -
    The government wants to let shops stay open as long as they want — just like their online counterparts. The government is proposing that states scrap rules mandating store closures and replace them with a model law that it's preparing, allowing restaurants, malls, theatres and local markets to remain open round the clock.

Such a change will level the playing field between online and offline besides cutting down on restrictions, thus improving the ease of doing business, a stated aim of the Narendra Modi government.
    "The retailers want to run shops 24x7 and this kind of flexibility will help them get more business. Besides, consumers, especially working couples, will get increased access to shopping even at night," said BP Panty, advisor to the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry ( Ficci). This has been a longstanding industry demand, said Kumar Rajgopalan, CEO of the Retailers Association of India, welcoming the move.
    A very good move. Businesses will earn more, thereby more tax in the Government kitty and business remaining open 24X7 would mean I and millions like me don't have to hurry up after work to buy food and drinks. Plus, there is a probability of less crime, as crimes come down with more people on the streets.
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

India up 12 spots in 'Ease of doing business' report; Singapore tops

Good. Way more reforms needed to bring India under 50.

New Zealand is # 2. Wow.

Our ministers and bureaucrats should visit these countries to learn more about their achievements.

It takes 29 days to start a new business in India: World Bank report

I believe in the days to come this would be even faster.

Tesla plans battery plant in India: Elon Musk

To those who say that Make in India is for local manufacturing and local consumption.
    Last edited by Oracle; 28 Oct 15,, 08:23.
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Bankruptcy law to improve ease of doing business: Shaktikanta Das

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
        Tesla plans battery plant in India: Elon Musk

To those who say that Make in India is for local manufacturing and local consumption.
        A nice technology feather in the cap for India!

As an aside, if I could afford a Tesla car, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
          A nice technology feather in the cap for India!

As an aside, if I could afford a Tesla car, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
          The batteries would be powered to light up villages? How would they be charged again, solar power?

Btw, what is it about Tesla cars? They aren't Porsche. It's just another electric car. And a Tesla Model S is priced above $70,000. Why???

Comment

The batteries would be powered to light up villages? How would they be charged again, solar power?

Btw, what is it about Tesla cars? They aren't Porsche. It's just another electric car. And a Tesla Model S is priced above $70,000. Why???
            You shitting me? Have you seen the specs?

Range 405 km (EPA rated)
            Acceleration 3.0 seconds 0-100 kph
            Torque 713 lb-ft
            Top Speed 250 kph
            Motor Power 532 hp rear, 259 hp front

Comment

I must admit, I'm not entirely sure how Tesla's batteries are charged. They appear to be game-changers if they work as advertised though.

In addition to the performance specs that DarthSiddius posted, Tesla's are just a different kind of car and company altogether.

In many ways, it's what Apple brought to the table with the iPhone.
              I don't care for iPhones myself, but they revolutionized smartphones, how people used them and more importantly, who used them.
              Sure there was PDA's and Blackberry and so forth, before the iPhone. But the iPhone demolished everything that came before it (Blackberry? Palm? What are those?) and everybody scrambled to catch up.

Tesla could very well cause this same explosion. It'll take far longer of course, but all-electric cars have now shown to be a truly viable alternative to consumer ICE vehicles.

Here's something interesting I found:

Only six parts on a Tesla Model S need regular replacement

They're the four tires and the two wiper blades. Oh, and service technicians do check the level of the battery and motor coolant occasionally.

Brake pads? Not so much. With the bulk of its stopping done via regenerative braking--turning the electric motor into a generator to recharge the battery pack--the brakes pads on a Tesla last a ridiculously long time.

Without valves, camshafts, connecting rods, a crankshaft, gears, clutches, or any of the other complexities of a car with an engine and a transmission, a battery-electric car needs almost no service.

There are a few articles that go into it better than I can, here and here. (Bear in mind, those articles are from 2013).

The pricing is due to the fact that these are luxury automobiles, not glorified golf carts, as one commentator aptly put it. Here is the "family sedan" version:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tesla-Model-S-Nose-Cone-Grills-161502_x.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	221.4 KB
ID:	1467839

Name:	Tesla-Model-S-dash.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	1467840
              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

*drooling intensifies*

Comment

Originally posted by DarthSiddius View Post
                  *drooling intensifies*
                  A fellow that works in the same building as I do have one of those. It's so damn beautiful :-(

Then of course there's the Roadster...

Name:	Roadster_2.5_windmills_trimmed.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	1467841

Comment

The only thing I can see is a battery exchange stations in place of gas stations. No way in hell am I going to wait 3 hours for the car to recharge.
                    Chimo

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                      A fellow that works in the same building as I do have one of those. It's so damn beautiful :-(

Then of course there's the Roadster...
                      I would sell my house to get my hands on one of those lol!

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                      The only thing I can see is a battery exchange stations in place of gas stations. No way in hell am I going to wait 3 hours for the car to recharge.
                      I don't see an issue for city driving you just plug it in in your drive way every night. But yeah for long distance battery exchange is the only way unless they come up with a way to charge rapidly. I have heard on research being done to somehow utilize capacitors as batteries.

Comment

St Peter's slippers. Our electric bills are going to skyrocket. Better to invest in those electric panels now.
                        Chimo

Comment

LOL! But it will get offset by reduction in the monthly gasoline expenditure.

Comment

Some information about Tesla's battery packs from Wiki:

The Powerwall is a rechargeable lithium-ion battery product manufactured by Tesla Motors for home use. It stores electricity for domestic consumption, load shifting, and backup power.
                            The Powerwall has two different models, each using different generic cell chemistries. One model is optimized for daily cycling, such as for an off-grid situation; the other for being a backup battery.

The daily cycle 7 kWh battery uses nickel-manganese-cobalt chemistry and can be cycled 5000 times. The 10 kWh battery uses a nickel-cobalt-aluminum cathode...is for weekly or emergency use and has a cycle life of 1000–1500 cycles. It includes a DC to DC converter to sit between a home's existing solar panels, and the home's existing DC to AC inverter.

Regarding the Gigafactory being built here in the United States:

Tesla expects that Gigafactory 1 will reduce the production cost for their Electric vehicle battery and Powerwall packs by 30%. Its projected capacity for 2020 is 35 gigawatt-hours per year of cells as well as 50 GWh/yr of battery packs. To achieve this the factory would employ approximately 6,500 people and supply 500,000 Tesla cars per year.

This is potentially huge. Like, Ford Model T huge.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                              I think there is an added option where a quick recharge will be a 15 mins wait. Still long compared to a gas tank fillup, but not a deal breaker. The price is still the deal breaker
                              "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                              X