Tracking India's development policies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
    All you're doing is shifting the pollution from the tail pipe to the smoke stack. Cars my have no pollution but the electric power plants will be spewing their wastes like no tomorrow.
    Pollution from a single smoke stack is far easier to control than millions of tail pipes.

Comment

Originally posted by cataphract View Post
      Pollution from a single smoke stack is far easier to control than millions of tail pipes.
      Already taken care of with emission qualifications for license plate renewals.
      Chimo

Comment

Already taken care of with emission qualifications for license plate renewals.
        Haha you're assuming that emission standards in India are actually enforced for vehicles.

Comment

Haha you're assuming that emission standards in India are actually enforced for vehicles.
          Was just speaking for Canada. Thinking about the Indian electric grid gives me headaches.
          Chimo

Comment

Was just speaking for Canada. Thinking about the Indian electric grid gives me headaches.
            :D You mean this: Click image for larger version

Name:	40140.ngsversion.1421960376256.adapt.768.1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	1467875

That is why micro-generation is the way to go. People should be generating some of their own electricity locally.

Comment

Why doing business in India is still far from easy
              A little bit here and there," is how Godrej Group chairman Adi Godrej describes the change in the ease of doing business in India over the past year. "There are still too many permissions required, to many ministries - both at the central and state level - to be followed up with," Godrej puts it bluntly.
              Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Ease of doing business: Real estate strangled by bureaucracy and corruption

Ease of doing business: Food and beverages bitten by over regulation

Ease of doing business: Setting up ecommerce shop not a click away

Mr. Modi, please don't screw up the passage of GST bill in 2016. Getting FDI and foreign companies interested to make in India is not enough, policy/procedural/tax reforms should be tackled on a war footing. Time to burn the midnight oil, without holidays & foreign trips, and walk the talk.
                Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

GE, Alstom land $5.6-billion deals to supply Indian Railways

There are still technical issues with the Board. Had to post multiple times of what should have been a single post.

Comment

Yes they are in most parts. All vehicles have to have a Pollution Under Control (PUC) certificate that they can get from any gas station every six months by checking the veh emissions. The fine for not have a PUC certificate is INR 1000.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Nitin Gadkari reveals why PM Narendra Modi vowed to put 15 lakh in your account

OMG!!!

Comment

Comment

This party made it into office by playing to aspirations. If people do not find those aspirations fulfilled they will vote otherwise.

There seems to be a certain confidence in winning the next election, going by Gadkari's comments here or am i mistaken ?

How else to interpret his brazen comment

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                            What did you get from this video ? that the govt is going after opposition voices ?

What i get from it is they are using this network to make an example for the purposes of tax evasion. I don't read any more ulterior partisan motives here.

See, one of the promises made by this govt was they were going to go after the corrupt.

Well, how many big fish have they brought to book to date ? Not a single one.

China can arrest Meng Hongwei to drive home the point the CCP is tough on corruption. In India if they do that, the courts will throw the case out and the govt will appear incompetent in an election year.

So they pull these low risk stunts knowing full well, a media house will publish whatever harassment was experienced

And it sends the message that they are tough on corruption without any guilty caught to date but lots of hassle caused to innocents

My take : )
                            Last edited by Double Edge; 13 Oct 18,, 18:17.

Comment

Let me give you an example of some one i know. This guy runs a textiles company. He gets designs of clothes and sells them to dept stores.

He was an NRI up to 2011 and had an office in HK. Then he decided to move his operations to India and closed the office in HK. He brought back half a crore and invested it into his new company in India.

He declared everything to the income tax people.

After the Panama papers leaked he got into the ED's net. Because they found his company in the list. It was in there for various reasons but the ED gets triggered on the grounds of money laundering.

The ED figured shell company for the purposes of money laundering and slaps him with an instant 17lakh fine.

He's done nothing wrong. So it takes a few trips to the ED's office to explain the situation. At the same time his business takes a hit and he tells them he can't pay this fine.

Finally it gets haggled down to 5 lakhs. Which he pays off in drips and drabs.

That's a 5 lakh fine imposed for no fault of his. But to fight it out would mean a long drawn out affair with legal costs exceeding the fine.

The mistake he made was not declaring to the RBI he had closed the business in HK after setting up a new one in India. Nobody advised him to do that at the time.

There are many cases like this and your Quint video is just an example of one.

The problem is the govt wasn't enforcing rules earlier and then all of a sudden decides to do it which means a lot of established practice where you didn't have to declare every single goddamn thing now all of a sudden comes under the radar and the accusations and fines levied wherever the buggers can get away with it. The big fish camp out in London, its the little guys that suffer.
                              Last edited by Double Edge; 13 Oct 18,, 16:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                                What did you get from this video ? that the govt is going after opposition voices ?

What i get from it is they are using this network to make an example for the purposes of tax evasion. I don't read any more ulterior partisan motives here.

See, one of the promises made by this govt was they were going to go after the corrupt.

Well, how many big fish have they brought to book to date ? Not a single one.

China can arrest Meng Hongwei to drive home the point the CCP is tough on corruption. In India if they do that, the courts will throw the case out and the govt will appear incompetent in an election year.

So they pull these low risk stunts knowing full well, a media house will publish whatever harassment was experienced

And it sends the message that they are tough on corruption without any guilty caught to date but lots of hassle caused to innocents

My take : )
                                The Quint is left-leaning as far as I can tell. Anything left is a no-go area for this government, atleast this is what the government makes it's right wing vote bank feel. And when the media house goes against the government, there'd be repercussions. The Quint published a news report stating that Kulbhusan Jadhav was a serving R&AW officer, then retracted it. There might be some more stories which I can't tell as I don't read Quint that much.

Raghav, as you can see in the video comes out heavily but cheekily on the tax sleuths, as if he understands the harassment was mutual. So, my take on this is, the government has fired the first shot, which is a warning to toe the line in the coming election year. Yes, any case if made out, will not find favor with the Apex Court, which is very good in a democracy.

The point is when it comes to National Security, media houses fishing into issues such as Kulbhusan which is sub-judice in the ICC, isn't fair play. He's one among us even if he's guilty (for abduls reading this post, this is an assumption, not proven shit) of crossing into Balochistan.

Comment

Working...
                                X