Tracking India's development policies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by antimony View Post
    I think there is an added option where a quick recharge will be a 15 mins wait. Still long compared to a gas tank fillup, but not a deal breaker. The price is still the deal breaker
    They are releasing the Model 3 next summer I think. $35000 is much more affordable. Don't know much about the specs though.

EDIT: They are unveiling it and not releasing next year.
    Last edited by DarthSiddius; 05 Nov 15,, 20:30.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthSiddius View Post
      They are releasing the Model 3 next summer I think. $35000 is much more affordable. Don't know much about the specs though.

EDIT: They are unveiling it and not releasing next year.
      Oh sweet mother of mercy I want one so bad :-(
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

*drooling intensifies*
        Don't drool too much. Consumer Reports gave the car the highest score a car has ever achieved during their tests for handling, performance and economy. Then a few weeks later CR amended that by saying Tesla has chronic reliability problems.

The main problem areas involved the drivetrain, power equipment, charging equipment, giant iPad-like center console, and body and sunroof squeaks, rattles, and leaks.

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
          Don't drool too much. Consumer Reports gave the car the highest score a car has ever achieved during their tests for handling, performance and economy. Then a few weeks later CR amended that by saying Tesla has chronic reliability problems.

The main problem areas involved the drivetrain, power equipment, charging equipment, giant iPad-like center console, and body and sunroof squeaks, rattles, and leaks.
          Long term an electric motor demolishes a regular combustion engine in reliability. Tesla's are still relatively new to the market and I'm sure they will keep improving their product over time.

Comment

Long term an electric motor demolishes a regular combustion engine in reliability. Tesla's are still relatively new to the market and I'm sure they will keep improving their product over time.
            Indeed. And I suspect they'll do a better job of responding to consumer complaints than, GM, for example.
            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

^Like!

Comment

a bit of a thread hijack here, but I'm pretty sure in about 10, 15 years at the most, we'll see a significant number of self-driving cars. that's being quite conservative; a lot of business intel forecasts think 10 million self-driving cars in 5 years.

combine that with electric batteries and we'll have a lot less traffic accidents/deaths and a lot less gasoline being burned. fewer traffic jams!

there's a lot of second-order effects to this, too. good-bye to the profession of truck driver, for one.
                There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
                  combine that with electric batteries and we'll have a lot less traffic accidents/deaths and a lot less gasoline being burned. fewer traffic jams!
                  Imagine the pollution reduction in cities that have massive traffic congestion.

All those ICE powered cars no longer idling in gridlock, spewing exhaust into the air.

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
                    there's a lot of second-order effects to this, too. good-bye to the profession of truck driver, for one.
                    Not so fast. The oil sands have been using robotic trucks for a long time but they still require a human operator sitting behind the wheel. There's not been one trip where the human driver did not put on the brakes because of something unexpected. A charging moose for one.
                    Chimo

Comment

the google driverless car has been doing good-- in fact a lot better than your average driver-- automated radar processes have been improving. and with more and more automated cars on the road, you're talking about a much more stable system where computers can interact with each other vice a more unpredictable human.

but yeah, I'm pretty certain there will still be a manual option for a human driver to take over in case of something that the AI can't handle, or because of some freak computer accident.

long haul trucks though? just automate them and then track 'em with yet another computer system; FedEx is experimenting with that already.

same thing with Amazon and delivery drones.
                      Last edited by astralis; 13 Nov 15,, 20:41.
                      There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

TH - thanks for all the information. Darth, it's still electric and beyond my capability to own one. Again it's electric. :-)
                        Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                          The batteries would be powered to light up villages? How would they be charged again, solar power?
                          Btw, what is it about Tesla cars? They aren't Porsche. It's just another electric car. And a Tesla Model S is priced above $70,000. Why???
                          I think the government was talking about a effective way to store solar energy, for the times that the sun is not there, and that Tesla battery technology is of great value there.

Comment

Originally posted by kuku View Post
                            I think the government was talking about a effective way to store solar energy, for the times that the sun is not there, and that Tesla battery technology is of great value there.
                            Yep, that's pretty much the idea I think. Or when normal power supplies are disrupted due to infrastructure damage or what-have-you.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                              Imagine the pollution reduction in cities that have massive traffic congestion.

All those ICE powered cars no longer idling in gridlock, spewing exhaust into the air.
                              All you're doing is shifting the pollution from the tail pipe to the smoke stack. Cars my have no pollution but the electric power plants will be spewing their wastes like no tomorrow.
                              Chimo

Comment

yes, there's a shift, but will it be significantly worse than existing car factories?

i expect as electric power/solar power improves still further and spreads, then you get volume savings as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X