Hypothetical question to Gun Grape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypothetical question to Gun Grape

GS, I have been thinking of this for decades but we have no NSM exchanges. But how would you like to be the RSM to a Candian/British Regiment on exchange?
    Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 25 Oct 15,, 13:14.
    Chimo

My first thought was "That would be a great posting. Love to do it"

But then I thought about it. And my answer is one of the reasons that I believe we don't have Sr Enlisted exchange programs (1st Sgt/SgtMaj). We do have E-7 and below exchanges with other Marine Corps though.

The SgtMaj has 3 key roles.

He is the Commanders adviser on enlisted matters.

He is charged with Senior NCO development. It may be hard for some junior enlisted, and officers to believe, but, we actually do more than get drunk during working hours when we have a Staff NCO call at the club. Actual leadership development takes place. Mostly through guided discussions. And the SgtMaj is the one that ensures we are headed in the right direction.

I don't think either role would present much of a problem. Having worked with various countries services, we are mostly on the same sheet of music.

Its the third role that presents the problem.

The SgtMaj is the SME on Drill, Ceremonies and Traditions. When the Col decides that he wants to inspect the Regt or have a parade or conduct a Birthday service, St Barbara celebration and yes even funeral formations/services. Is the SgtMaj who makes it happen correctly.

It would be easy to say, thats when you depend on your fellow SNCOs to help. But, I've been in enough planning meetings to know that everyone has an opinion of how they would like to see it done or how they think it should be done. That is when the SgtMaj steps in and makes sure its done to standard.

As an exchange SgtMaj from another country and not familiar with Canadian Customs, drills and ceremony, it would be a disservice to the Commander I was assigned. My lack of knowledge would be seen as his failure. And the units failure. It only takes one bad formation/parade to have senior officers start asking "Whos in charge of that ClusterF*%k"

I'm enough of a professional to know when I'm too far out of my element and I become a liability. And in that situation I would be.

Now if you want me be a Company Gunny, (Plt Sgt, Section Sgt, ect) on exchange I'd have my bags packed before you finished telling me about it.

Comment

:
      Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
      GS, I have been thinking of this for decades but we have no NSM exchanges. But how would you like to be the RSM to a Candian/British Regiment on exchange?
      Not withstanding Gun Grapes response, what about adding an Australian artillery regiment to the list? Similar genealogy but better beer, weather and sports! :)
      If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

Working...
      X