In Bangalore, Goons Threaten To Skin Australian Man For His Goddess Tattoo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Double Edge
    Not a conspiracy, lobbies of indian descent abroad. It takes local ground work to get countries to refuse him a visa.
    I don't know what that has to do with a media fraternity that wanted him out and ended up in a self created situation later

Check who the TS is for the threads like this over the years. Anybody is free to start one. it makes no difference who does it.
    The south asia section has always been spammed with india threads buy even lot more in the last two years.

can say that about threads in other sections as well. Hot topics where everybody has a take on.
    I don't think so. There's so many sections but I always notice a random and irrelevant india thread in the "hottest threads" section on the index page.

You didn't but that is the general sentiment isn't it. Why is India being singled out.
    For what? "bashing"?

I spoke out against spam; not "india bashing" or whatever you think is going on.

I realize that most WAB members of indian origin are non-hindus but this is a forum with max 10-50 regular users.

What do you think happened. Guy sitting in a restaurant minding his own business has a bunch of people asking him about his tatoo. Does this guy want to make the evening news ? i don't think so.

Somebody goes up to him and asks him why he has it. He says because they say you can't do it, he tells them to feck off.... Which is pretty much what i'd have done and have done wherever i've lived and been told off.
    I don't think I'd tell anyone to fuck off over curiosity. Especially something involving religion. And especially if I was a foreigner with the tattoo of a foreign goddess on my leg. Telling the locals to fuck off with police backing probably sent a wrong message; wild gossip about the foreigners behaviour.

The govt moved major industries here in the 70s for strategic reasons. Over the decades this had the effect of creating a highly educated middle class which attracts more of the same. The place is full of colleges and students. Companies want to setup shop here despite growing infrastructural limitations because they can get the workforce they need. Obama when he talks about education wants Americans to compete with kids from Bangalore & Shanghai. I'm surprised he can even find Bangalore on a map.
    Bangalore is a service oriented city that is decades away from developing a manufacturing culture. It is economically linked to a foreign block which makes it very unstable(see kerala and its relationship with expat remittances).

Forget its future role, the city is yet to find a role in the regional economy today. Oddly, the hindi speaking states are more active and connected to the indian economy than bangalore. Its common to see goods flowing from north(via mumbai) to bangalore and almost nothing back. The recent rise of eCommerce too has proved more beneficial to the north than the south(telugu states an exception).

Had this not happened it would have still been sleepy retirement village as it used to be. There are many locals who wished it stayed that way. They don't like how crowded it has become. I take people around some times that actually grew up here but since emigrated abroad and they can't find their way around any more because its changed so much.
    Because Bangalore does not have a history for such nonsense. You get the odd few aberrations from time to time.
    Bangalore has never attracted migrants and put the pressure on locals like mumbai, yet. I think the city peaked during the start of the IT boom but quickly started fading after the development of pune and hyderabad eclipsed its rise.

I've been to the offbeat roads around karnataka. Just like mumbai and maharashtra, there is a bangalore and a karnataka. The locals in karnataka get their patience tested just like the locals in maharashtra.

The rise of the right wing in the last 10-15 years reveals about the city and its interaction with incoming cultures. I think bangalore is where mumbai was in the 60s. Its still to go through pressures of migration, regional uprising, a kannadiga version of shiv sena etc.
    Last edited by anil; 02 Dec 15,, 19:16.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthSiddius View Post
      This trust deficit is what needs to be addressed. I am willing to concede that I might be coming from a position of bias (mostly due to lack of knowledge). As I don't know much about RSS (the little I know come's across as rather ominous) any party that claims to have RSS as it's mentor will be dealt with scepticism on my part.
      RSS is an umbrella org representing many groups which have the country's interest at heart. This is very broad strokes. Anybody running for office will fall under that rubric, lol. They are not too well understood because they have not held power for any meaningful length of time since independence. Any rule gets interrupted and when they do regain office the old hands have been replaced with new people and ideas. The country will have changed too since.

Any time RSS make statements it takes some careful reading to understand as to which org's agenda they happen to be pushing at the time. If elections are on this then colours the message further and is specific to the area they are campaigning in. You know what they say about election promises. Promise the world and then reality sets in.

The windbags want to portray the RSS doing whatever agenda they have. Hardliners try to hog the limelight like in any other org. They want their agenda to be the message. Course what is aspired to, who aspires to it and whether its achievable are open questions. Factions are always jostling to craft the message. Then there is the old guard who thinks its still the 90s. They won't go away quietly. They will come out and embarrass the party whenever. Because they're old timers who were in charge they're given a platform. It's easy to twist what is said, take it out of context, at which point the caretakers have to pipe in and try to counter perceptions if necessary.

Advani argued for independence from micro management and subsequent actions showed the RSS are mostly hands off. They have an influential role in the beginning when it comes to constituting bodies and appointing people who will lead, who will be the face etc. If things go bad or factionalism sets in and infighting increases they take a more active role. When they talk the insiders listen because they don't talk very often.

We had a guy here earlier, look up the name 'doppelganger', saying he was with the RSS. But his views are not the sort that can even run a country let alone take it forward. I've seen nothing in Modi's actions that come anywhere close to what 'doppelganger' was saying. The most blatant example is foreign policy.

All of a sudden we want the world to get to know us better (!) We've always wanted to be friends with everybody but there seems to be some urgency this time.

Is this how some inward looking org bent upon wiping out Nehru's legacy behaves ? Looks like they're trying hard to outdo him. This is the only way if they want to be considered as a serious alternative, the way they give themselves a longer lease of life.

If they can't provide more jobs that will absorb people entering the workforce then we're looking at a increased social unrest in a decade or two.

This is of-course based on the assumption that the BJP wants these elements to hang themselves. Which could very well be true.
      I guess this is how they handle dissent in the ranks without being overbearing. Try to take everybody along until it becomes untenable and the way forward becomes more clear. They will try whatever and discard what does not work. This suggests it isn't some monolithic org following an ideology carved in stone. Flexible when necessary, ready to compromise wherever possible. Even more capable of compromise as they don't have a legacy and the attendant baggage that comes with a legacy.
      Last edited by Double Edge; 02 Dec 15,, 23:55.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
        RSS is an umbrella org representing many groups which have the country's interest at heart.
        No way to know for sure what those interests are and whether they align with the constitution for instance. Their vision for the country could very well go against the constitutional and democratic ideals that our republic was founded upon. Food for thought, isn't it?

This is very broad strokes. Anybody running for office will fall under that rubric, lol. They are not too well understood because they have not held power for any meaningful length of time since independence. Any rule gets interrupted and when they do regain office the old hands have been replaced with new people and ideas. The country will have changed too since.

Any time RSS make statements it takes some careful reading to understand as to which org's agenda they happen to be pushing at the time. If elections are on this then colours the message further and is specific to the area they are campaigning in. You know what they say about election promises. Promise the world and then reality sets in.

The windbags want to portray the RSS doing whatever agenda they have. Hardliners try to hog the limelight like in any other org. They want their agenda to be the message. Course what is aspired to, who aspires to it and whether its achievable are open questions. Factions are always jostling to craft the message. Then there is the old guard who thinks its still the 90s. They won't go away quietly. They will come out and embarrass the party whenever. Because they're old timers who were in charge they're given a platform. It's easy to twist what is said, take it out of context, at which point the caretakers have to pipe in and try to counter perceptions if necessary.

Advani argued for independence from micro management and subsequent actions showed the RSS are mostly hands off. They have an influential role in the beginning when it comes to constituting bodies and appointing people who will lead, who will be the face etc. If things go bad or factionalism sets in and infighting increases they take a more active role. When they talk the insiders listen because they don't talk very often.

We had a guy here earlier, look up the name 'doppelganger', saying he was with the RSS. But his views are not the sort that can even run a country let alone take it forward. I've seen nothing in Modi's actions that come anywhere close to what 'doppelganger' was saying. The most blatant example is foreign policy.

All of a sudden we want the world to get to know us better (!) We've always wanted to be friends with everybody but there seems to be some urgency this time.

Is this how some inward looking org bent upon wiping out Nehru's legacy behaves ? Looks like they're trying hard to outdo him. This is the only way if they want to be considered as a serious alternative, the way they give themselves a longer lease of life.

If they can't provide more jobs that will absorb people entering the workforce then we're looking at a increased social unrest in a decade or two.

I guess this is how they handle dissent in the ranks without being overbearing. Try to take everybody along until it becomes untenable and the way forward becomes more clear. They will try whatever and discard what does not work. This suggests it isn't some monolithic org following an ideology carved in stone. Flexible when necessary, ready to compromise wherever possible. Even more capable of compromise as they don't have a legacy and the attendant baggage that comes with a legacy.
        Again, as I'm not privy to RSS's inner workings and motifs I can not possibly conclude either way. Doesn't change the fact that they still wield quite a lot of influence and power despite being a non government and non judicial entity. Hence, the unease!

Comment

I'm not privy to RSS's inner workings and motifs.....
          This link gives a quick update on the RSS, its affiliates and ideology.
          http://www.outlookindia.com/articlef...th.aspx?217966

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Originally posted by lemontree View Post
            This link gives a quick update on the RSS, its affiliates and ideology.
            http://www.outlookindia.com/articlef...th.aspx?217966
            The unease intensifies!

Comment

The unease intensifies!
              Exactly.
              If one views the VHP videos on youtube you will come across highly rabid and venomous speeches. This events are used to polarize and divide the people to ensure a vote for the "Hindutva" cause.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

These morons (and therefore the rest of BJP and the Sangh Parivar) thrive on cultural nationalism (my culture better than anyone else's), the ugly evil cousin of patriotism (I love my country). They are not necessarily well wishers of India; they are well wishers of their cultural hegemony. They are the Hindu side of the Muslim Mullahs (who think that Aurangzeb was a great guy and place their Koran and Sharia ahead of the constitution).

Rational Indians need to reject both of these kinds.
                "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

The RSS and the sangh are orgs riddled with stories of folklore and myth with token comparisons to nazis among other things

Has anyone here even met a sangh worker in their life? Rather, has anyone here even seen a sangh worker? lol

Comment

Originally posted by anil View Post
                    The RSS and the sangh are orgs riddled with stories of folklore and myth with token comparisons to nazis among other things

Has anyone here even met a sangh worker in their life? Rather, has anyone here even seen a sangh worker? lol
                    Folklore? myth? Gowalkar said this openly.

......in the 1939 book, We, Our Nationhood Defined. In it, Golwalkar writes:
                    To keep up the purity of the Race and its culture, Germany shocked the world by her purging the country of the Semitic Races - the Jews. Race pride at its highest has been manifested here. Germany has also shown how well nigh impossible it is for Races and cultures, having differences going to the root, to be assimilated into one united whole, a good lesson for us in Hindusthan to learn and profit by.[47] Ever since that evil day, when Moslems first landed in Hindustan, right up to the present moment, the Hindu Nation has been gallantly fighting on to take on these despoilers. The Race Spirit has been awakening.[48]
                    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M._S._..._and_reception

This is a matter of historical record!

The RSS and the Sangh are just the same as the Germans who purged the jews, the Turks who purged the armenians.
                    They wish to polarise. separate and then purge the "Other' the 'Untermenschen'.

According to Oberoi, in "Bunch of Thoughts," Golwalkar opines that Muslims and Christians in India are unpatriotic, but Golwalkar's hatred is not confined to Indian Muslims or Christians. According to Oberoi, Golwalkar describes the Chinese using the following language: "They eat rats, pigs, dogs, serpents, cockroaches, and everything. Such men cannot be expected to have human qualities." In "We", writes Oberoi, Golwalkar showers praise on the egregious Nazi campaign against Jews and Gypsies which took place in the 1930s in Germany explaining that this was "a good lesson for us in Hindusthan to learn and profit by." "There are only two courses open to these foreign elements," Golwalkar explains, according to Oberoi, "either to merge themselves in the national race and adopt its culture or to live at its mercy so long as the national race may allow them to do so and quit the country at the sweet will of the national race."[53]
                    For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

No way to know for sure what those interests are and whether they align with the constitution for instance. Their vision for the country could very well go against the constitutional and democratic ideals that our republic was founded upon. Food for thought, isn't it?
                      The rhetoric spouted by various outfits could very well go against constitutional ideals. But that's just talk.

The real question is how feasibly can it be implemented.

if there is no emergency declared then i would say the chances are low. What other ways are there ? they will be fighting it out in courts for years. And to be able to keep up the fight they need to be in power for a long time. Not guaranteed. At which point whatever they put in place faces repeal. Back and forth it goes.

Rule of law. Don't like something challenge it using the proper channels.

Again, as I'm not privy to RSS's inner workings and motifs I can not possibly conclude either way. Doesn't change the fact that they still wield quite a lot of influence and power despite being a non government and non judicial entity. Hence, the unease!
                      They make it up as they go along. Plans change as the situation.

Why the need for unease ? there will be flare ups from time to which the media will paint into something ominous. I usually switch off at that point or leave it for later. Later comes and there is nobody tracking trends in a reliable manner, instead we get fresh updates about something else. This all gets weaved into the same narrative.

The bottom line is no BJP no unease isn't it. This is the propaganda of fear. Amounts to no faith in the institutions of the country nor the constitution where it is believed that one party can permanently change the course of things for all time.

We are not a one party state. I have no ends of unease at the stunts the AAP pulls routinely. But we have to support 'alternative' politics. This is how democracy remains vibrant.
                      Last edited by Double Edge; 21 Jan 16,, 13:11.

Comment

Why the need for unease ? there will be flare ups from time to which the media will paint into something ominous.
                        Mate, when a political party goes after its citizens who belong to different faiths with the passion of zealots then there will be unease and in the case of muslims - they are driven towards extremism. Don't blame the media for pointing out the evil within.

See the pattern of events:-

- BJP comes to power in Gujarat state in March 1998 - in Dec 1998 the Christians in the Dang tribal district are attached on Christmas day. Violence goes on for 3 days.
                        - BJP forms a coalition govt in Orissa in 2007 - the Khandamal anti Christian riots.
                        - BJP comes to power in Karnataka - in 2008 Bajrang Dal indulges in anti-Christian violence.

And you blame the media for this?...

Violence has continuously been practiced by the Sangh. Numerous government reports have clearly indicted the Sangh for fomenting communal violence:-
                        Ref: Jaganmohan Reddy Commission on the Ahmedabad riots (1969),
                        Madan Commission on the Bhiwandi riots (1970),
                        Justice Vithayathil’s report on the Tellicherry riots (1971),
                        Justice Jitendra Narain’s Report on the Jamshedpur riots (1979) and
                        Justice P Venugopal’s report on the riots in kanyakumari (1982) are good examples of the Sangh’s consistent involvement in riots). In each of these communal riots that the RSS fomented and participated in, the central strategy to greater power is clear. For the Sangh each religious riots translates to greater polarization between the majority Hindu community and the minority communities.

It is no wonder that most Indians call the RSS a terror organization!

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

The rhetoric spouted by various outfits could very well go against constitutional ideals. But that's just talk.

The real question is how feasibly can it be implemented.

if there is no emergency declared then i would say the chances are low. What other ways are there ? they will be fighting it out in courts for years. And to be able to keep up the fight they need to be in power for a long time. Not guaranteed. At which point whatever they put in place faces repeal. Back and forth it goes.

Rule of law. Don't like something challenge it using the proper channels.
                          If it's just talk then the organisation comprises two-faced members who lack conviction, not the visionary leaders we need. You are right they will have to duke it out in the courts for years. What does that make them? A nuisance, a road block in our path towards societal development.

They make it up as they go along. Plans change as the situation.

Why the need for unease ? there will be flare ups from time to which the media will paint into something ominous. I usually switch off at that point or leave it for later. Later comes and there is nobody tracking trends in a reliable manner, instead we get fresh updates about something else. This all gets weaved into the same narrative.

The bottom line is no BJP no unease isn't it. This is the propaganda of fear. Amounts to no faith in the institutions of the country nor the constitution where it is believed that one party can permanently change the course of things for all time.

We are not a one party state. I have no ends of unease at the stunts the AAP pulls routinely. But we have to support 'alternative' politics. This is how democracy remains vibrant.
                          Unease because we are falling into the trap of mediocrity. Just look at our political class. I never said I'm for AAP or Congress either, equal opportunity disdain here. Our people are discussing and focussing on the wrong issues. Look at the prime time debates, nothing but a gluttony of banality.
                          Last edited by DarthSiddius; 21 Jan 16,, 17:34.

Comment

If it's just talk then the organisation comprises two-faced members who lack conviction, not the visionary leaders we need. You are right they will have to duke it out in the courts for years. What does that make them? A nuisance, a road block in our path towards societal development.
                            Its a means to an end. The people behind have one goal, the same time tested the world over. Capture power and retain it.

Politics is selling hope. If it does not work out at least you tried.

Unease because we are falling into the trap of mediocrity. Just look at our political class. I never said I'm for AAP or Congress either, equal opportunity disdain here. Our people are discussing and focussing on the wrong issues. Look at the prime time debates, nothing but a gluttony of banality.
                            Forget prime time, follow RSTV on youtube. Plenty of programs where you can actually learn something instead of being entertained.

What does the RSS get up to ? one of their pet projects is charming Dalits into doing their dirty work. Not like they're the only ones. Brits had martial races, RSS has 'defenders of hindutva'.

Everybody loves Dalits. Started off over a century back, trying to get them to forget the past. Then came Ambedkar, but still a lot of Dalits remain backward. Now its about putting on shows (!) upper caste guy that partied with them still has to purify himself before the wife will let him into the house. Read the below paper, lots of interesting details.

Working Papers: 215 : Memory, Identity And The Politics Of Appropriation. ‘Saffronisation’ Among The Dalits Of North India (pdf) | ISAS | Nov 19 2015

Can't get this level of analysis in the media. Only think tanks. Check out asia studies faculties around the world.

This revolution will not be televised. This revolution is live.

It's been said the reason the BJP won the national election is because Modi played to the aspirational classes. The BJP was successful in mobilising the Dalits to vote for them particularly in UP. Dalits are big time into aspiration. They want upward mobility.

RSS guy making up stories to make them feel good works. Missionaries promising them a better future works too. it explains the animosity between these two. One is robbing the other of customers. Just business as usual :D

What is the opposition doing ? remember Bihar. Lot of dalits in Bihar. oops.

The political class get its right now & then. They know what buttons to press for their benefit.
                            Last edited by Double Edge; 21 Jan 16,, 23:41.

Comment

Please ignore this guy DE. he is totally whitewashing the determination of RSS and co to make an impact on society.

its laughable to say its just talk ,when the gang in question has enough strength to sway atleast a section of the population and in some states more than others and has taken actions to make their presence felt in various areas.

The problem is quite a number of people do not understand the strategic implications of ideologies. The sangh has a certain ideology and culture. its logical that they will act in a certain way because of that.

for people like DE it simple. Congress 1984 so Bjp 2002 is not different. That's the mentality we see in this quote-"I have no ends of unease at the stunts the AAP pulls routinely. "

The problem is AAp or congress do not have the hindutva ideology or culture...The strategic implications of the hindutva ideology will ensure there is a significant difference when there is BJP ruling.

yes we may not be a one party state and the sangh gang is not good enough or broadminded enough to capture a wider audience and area.There is also the caste angle

but they are causing a lot of damage with their unhealthy obsession with religion.

people who promote public prejudice and hatred and who encourage this unhealthy obsession with religion as a political identity are very dangerous Tthats the bottomline.

if we are not keeping the sangh under strict watch, there is something wrong with us. the sangh fully deserves it

why do i expect ppl like DE to understand this?

politics is ideally about public service and public order.

if you keep harping about religion, you will have a bunch of idiots who delude themselves they are fighting for a religion.The wannabe martyrs in the Islamic world are a good reference.

the sangh has created a generation of such supporters with warped priorities-people concerned with conversions, beef ,"who is hindu and muslim"

The more dangerous implication is the poison in society.Just because there was no riots recently in a region , that is no evidence there is no poison.

Punjab exploded with a bloodbath only around partition. but the poison was there for a long time. british administrators were wary of that even from the 20's

They are a lot more dangerous than what gullible posters like DE believe.

Comment

Originally posted by YoungIndia View Post
                                Please ignore this guy DE.

he is totally whitewashing the determination of RSS and co to make an impact on society.
                                Narrative is fear. How do you challenge emotions. You don't. So whenever anybody tells me to be afraid i know there is another agenda. The opposition cannot credibly challenge the ruling party as yet so they keep crying wolf.

its laughable to say its just talk ,when the gang in question has enough strength to sway atleast a section of the population and in some states more than others and has taken actions to make their presence felt in various areas.
                                No it is talk accompanied with media PR to make it credible. To whom and how well is it working.

They've always had a sway amongst a section of the public. What have they done with it. When the BJP is in power they are ascendant. Otherwise they are out of work then nobody cares about them. But they still continue to do their work.

The problem is quite a number of people do not understand the strategic implications of ideologies. The sangh has a certain ideology and culture. its logical that they will act in a certain way because of that.
                                Did you read the paper i linked to ? How to respond to it.

Fear and more fear. Because you don't have an alternative to counter. So naturally RSS will succeed unopposed. Slowly but surely. It is a given. Why ?

The problem is AAp or congress do not have the hindutva ideology or culture...The strategic implications of the hindutva ideology will ensure there is a significant difference when there is BJP ruling.
                                RSS is in the business of identity building. They want to turn a salad bowl into a melting pot. Mughals had centuries and couldn't do it. The Brits could have cared less. But of course the RSS will pull it off, guaranteed.

I find it curious that through those centuries when there was clearly foreign ie outside leadership that a more strident Indian identity did not emerge. Best we got was Gandhi & Nehru.

Nehru established the secular foundation for this country. He was in power for many years. His party endured three decades after him. So to undo will require the same amount of time if not more in office by the BJP. You think this likely ? heh i don't.

Tell me again why i should be afraid.

people who promote public prejudice and hatred and who encourage this unhealthy obsession with religion as a political identity are very dangerous Tthats the bottomline.

f we are not keeping the sangh under strict watch, there is something wrong with us. the sangh fully deserves it

why do i expect ppl like DE to understand this?
                                watch them all you want. Then tell me what they have achieved the last time the NDA was in office.

Sangh has been at this now for decades. Arya Samaj was at it over hundred years ago. What are the results. Tell me when we are going to become Hindutva nation. How many lifetimes will it take ?

politics is ideally about public service and public order.

if you keep harping about religion, you will have a bunch of idiots who delude themselves they are fighting for a religion.The wannabe martyrs in the Islamic world are a good reference.

the sangh has created a generation of such supporters with warped priorities-people concerned with conversions, beef ,"who is hindu and muslim"

The more dangerous implication is the poison in society.Just because there was no riots recently in a region , that is no evidence there is no poison.
                                None of this nonsense is putting food on the table. So how long will this generation of supporters stick to them.

How about jobs ? do whatever to create as many. Isn't this a major agenda of the present govt. Jobs put food on the table. Opportunities put food on the table.

Punjab exploded with a bloodbath only around partition. but the poison was there for a long time. british administrators were wary of that even from the 20's

They are a lot more dangerous than what gullible posters like DE believe.
                                What poison are you referring to ? Jinnah only started his quit india movement towards the late thirties.

Your solution is obvious. Kick the bjp out at the next elections and we will be saved. End of fear. Not good enough.

Comment

Working...
                                X