In Bangalore, Goons Threaten To Skin Australian Man For His Goddess Tattoo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Bangalore, Goons Threaten To Skin Australian Man For His Goddess Tattoo

A twenty one-year-old Australian man was harassed by a crowd, including a local BJP leader, in Bengaluru when he was spotted with a tattoo of an Indian goddess on his shin.

According to a report in The Hindu, Melbourne-based Matthew Gordon and his friend Emily Kassianou (20) were eating at a local restaurant when a few bystanders spotted them and confronted Gordon about the tattoo. He was sporting a tattoo of the Hindu goddess Yellamma on his shin.

The crowd, which grew rapidly, allegedly threatened to "skin his leg". The video shows BJP leader Ramesh Yadav's involvement.

The group surrounded the restaurant and didn't allow Gordon and his friends to go out. A policeman soon arrived and explained that one could not sport such a tattoo on the leg, Gordon told The Hindu.

Gordon, Kassianou and their Indian friend were taken to the police station and made to apologise for "hurting the group's religious sentiments".

“Policemen forced Matthew to write an apology and we were made to wait for three hours till he did so,” said Kassianou told The Hindu.

What India is: a nation state whose official machinery makes victims of majoritarian bigotry apologize. pic.twitter.com/qwgLjgdlud
    — Puram (@puram_politics) October 19, 2015
    The couple were also given a lesson on Hindu values and tips about how to dress appropriately by the police, in front of the crowd, alleged Gordon.

“The policemen advised me on Hindu religion and insisted I give a written apology for not covering my goddess tattoo, even as the group just watched. I tried taking law points, but had to finally give in as my girlfriend was in tears as the cops wouldn’t let us go,” Gordon said.

But according to Deputy Commissioner of Police (Central) Sandeep Patil, the matter was "trivial" and that both the parties had reached a "compromise".

Later, Gordon shared his thoughts on his Facebook page, as reported by The Times of India:

"Tolerance, understanding and equality is what we live by. I respect India and Hinduism completely. That's why I spent 35 hours getting a massive Ganesha put on my back and four hours getting the goddess of the lowest rung of Indian society (Yellamma) on the only bit of space I had left on my body. Because my spiritual journey is my decision, as are the markings on my body. I do not deserve to be victimised and have to physically defend myself and my girlfriend every day. She does not deserve sexual abuse, both physical and verbal. We support equality for all, tolerance of everyone and especially for the women in this country. Please support us as we try to bring awareness to crimes of injustice."

Huffingtonpost

Nice. BJP wankers.
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Did cops force Australian tourist to write apology? Probe on

Mr. Modi used to taunt MMS as Maun Mohan Singh, now he's become Maun Modi. Maun = Silent.

Comment

Jeez our guys are copying all the nice habits that the Islamists have.
        For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

No need to copy anyone, its always been like this. I got my ass kicked when i tried to explain the physics behind idols drinking milk.
          This white guy should register a complaint, his case will be personally followed up by the heads of police.
          me i'll just get my ass kicked by the police as well, F#$# this place man, ban religion please.

Comment

It has nothing to do with islamists. *sigh*

Sensationalizing all stuff indian with mindless threads from the www will do nothing for "your cause", which I think is plain "trolling". You have a misunderstanding about what it is that your doing. I don't think 3/4th of the non-indians members on this board follow or even open these "india related threads". Not everything is about india. Show some respect to the board and stop spamming the south asia section. It is embarrassing. I can understand if a sexually frustrated teenager does this sort of thing but watching grown adults with wives and daughters is very depressing

Instead of magnifying sensational articles, try to learn more about india, indians and your own culture.

What has happened with this australian man is a clash of two different races and cultures. It has happened before and I have read about it back then too.

The other side - A comment by a practicisng hindu on cultural appropriation

Unfortunately, I live in a part of the U.S. where I don't know if that would even work with all people. I remember seeing a post on another thread from someone saying "I am interested in Hinduism, New Age, etc." This is typical of a lot of people in my town -- they think Hinduism, Chinese medicine, Buddhism, and all kinds of "Easternisms" are just a cool, groovy thing -- just like New Ageism. I actually heard someone at a party say once, "Buddhism isn't really a religion, it's more like a way of life." They see only the outer trappings of our religions and beliefs, like the funky South Indian temples, and the nice-smelling incense, and they think they've got it. It's like learning the postures of yoga but never grasping anything about devotion. These people think I should be flattered that Ganesh was on a lunchbox, because it just proves how cool and popular he is! And many of them are equally superficial about other things, like their country or the religion they were raised in, so they wouldn't necessarily care if someone put the flag on a pair of panties, or Jesus on a pair of shoes. In fact, I see things like that all the time around here. I would be very offended if I were extremely patriotic, or a Christian. But I feel like a person raised Christian, for example, can desecrate their own religion if they want to. I just want them to leave mine alone!
            Last edited by anil; 21 Oct 15,, 15:03.

Comment

Erm it was on the front page of TOI and pretty much every local paper here.
              So hardly mindless trolling of obscure articles more like inconvenient intolerance exposed to the spotlight.

I do agree with your point on different cultures.
              What happened was the same profound disconnect I have come across from fellow countrymen from all walks of life for many many years.
              Indians simply do not understand even mild examples of free speech.
              Our mindset is "Everyone is free.......to agree with me", other wise you are "Hurting the sentiments of the people" and deserve every bit of violence you get.
              For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

damn hippys.

Comment

Originally posted by anil View Post

Sensationalizing all stuff indian with mindless threads from the www will do nothing for "your cause", which I think is plain "trolling". You have a misunderstanding about what it is that your doing. I don't think 3/4th of the non-indians members on this board follow or even open these "india related threads". Not everything is about india. Show some respect to the board and stop spamming the south asia section. It is embarrassing. I can understand if a sexually frustrated teenager does this sort of thing but watching grown adults with wives and daughters is very depressing

Instead of magnifying sensational articles, try to learn more about india, indians and your own culture.

What has happened with this australian man is a clash of two different races and cultures. It has happened before and I have read about it back then too.

Subjugating foreigners, threatening to skin them is trolling? Are you stupid?

Comment

So if getting this tattoo hurts your delicate sensibilities you are duty bound to take matters in your own hands? Law and order and due process go out the window, good to know.

Comment

Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
                      Erm it was on the front page of TOI and pretty much every local paper here.
                      It could be blasted out in timesnow or ibn, it does not matter. No one cares. Don't you get it?

Around 2 years ago, almost every national print and electronic media ganged up together in a bizarre and colossal effort to stop the gujarat cm from becoming the pm of india. Though the mission failed miserably, it revealed to watchers around india that the indian population is not influenced by these broadcasters. We now believe that vernacular dailies may hold that influence but not completely sure. Perhaps through a close knit community.
                      Last edited by anil; 21 Oct 15,, 15:31.

Comment

It could be blasted out in timesnow or ibn, it does not matter. No one cares. Don't you get it?

Around 2 years ago, almost every national print and electronic media ganged up together in a bizarre and colossal effort to stop the gujarat cm from becoming the pm of india. Though the mission failed miserably, it revealed to watchers around india that the indian population is not influenced by these broadcasters. We now believe that vernacular dailies may hold that influence but not completely sure. Perhaps through a close knit community.
                        I care. Antimony does too. Are you a Bangladeshi who doesn't care the image loss these incidents cause to the Nation?

Comment

If this incident doesn't mean a thing, then Indians shouldn't complain if Hindus are lynched/meted out the same treatment in Australia and the West. Karma follows.

Comment

Hmmm, I think the first example I've seen of a gen-y trolling an entire country.
                            In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Just because you don't care, does not mean others do not
                              "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                              X