In Bangalore, Goons Threaten To Skin Australian Man For His Goddess Tattoo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
    Hmmm, I think the first example I've seen of a gen-y trolling an entire country.
    You don't see it in this board itself? :-)
    Nationalists, proud bigots and the wannabe's.
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
      Hello, BM's alter ego. Lol. Modi bhakts, however they try to mask their loyalty in boards other than India, they usually get caught. No wonder you didn't think it wise to criticize the incident, but criticize me. But I am, worried about the image. The word 'Secular' is in the constitution, maybe you don't know. How would you, you are so deluded in Modi and the Sangh and the Hindutva issue that you never found out the time to criticize the Dadri Lynching, or even this incident. I can smell Bhakts like you from a mile.

Lol so anyone who disagrees with your highness is a bhakt, sanghi, haflwit, etc. And I'm the one who's supposed to be the narrow minded bigot. Do you not see the problem here?

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
      I'll be reporting you.
      Lol ok. You might want to tone down the personal attacks before you go whining to the mods.

Comment

Originally posted by bolo121
        I get that you dont care and that in your mind this is not about liberty but about Modi.
        I just explained to you that the public is rather interested in talking about rising prices and cricket. Working men don't leave the house with television sets hooked to 24hrs news channels and its "breaking news" programming. If you think these orgs have the capacity to roll a national debate within the indian public, you have clearly not been paying attention.

Not everything is about modi, the sangh parivar and the rss. Some people have an unhealthy fixation with hindus, hinduism and everything in between. It has been so over-played that it no longer works.

Comment

@Bigfella

I understand you are angry. [u]Indians can understand[u] that the australian man was harassed and threatened. I know the act of the indian police here is confusing.

Although, we need to acknowledge that this religious issue didn't end in violence. The fine line is clear.

I feel confident that in a comparable situation in Australia (and I can't think of anything directly comparable that would be likely to happen) the victim would not be treated like this.
          It is a cultural thing. When non-indians involve themselves in indian religions and practices, many people in our society are going to see it as an act of intimidation and threat. In the urban areas, people have learned to ignore it but in rural side, people will tend to "investigate".

Comment

Originally posted by anil View Post
            I just explained to you that the public is rather interested in talking about rising prices and cricket. Working men don't leave the house with television sets hooked to 24hrs news channels and its "breaking news" programming. If you think these orgs have the capacity to roll a national debate within the indian public, you have clearly not been paying attention.

Not everything is about modi, the sangh parivar and the rss. Some people have an unhealthy fixation with hindus, hinduism and everything in between. It has been so over-played that it no longer works.
            Ok now lets recap.
            I mentioned that this was not a troll article dug up from the internet it was all over both National and local media.
            Your reply to this was to immediately mention that the media made a great attempt to demonise the gujarat cm.
            Now you have moved on to answer a question i never asked about how the media doesnt matter to our hard working t20 watching public.

I think you are posing the question and explaining the answer to yourself.

My only 'fixation' was with the constant erosion of free speech and liberty in India especially since the current govt came in.
            For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

@Bigfella

I understand you are angry. [u]Indians can understand[u] that the australian man was harassed and threatened. I know the act of the indian police here is confusing.

Although, we need to acknowledge that this religious issue didn't end in violence. The fine line is clear.

It is a cultural thing. When non-indians involve themselves in indian religions and practices, many people in our society are going to see it as an act of intimidation and threat. In the urban areas, people have learned to ignore it but in rural side, people will tend to "investigate".
              Anil,

I'm not angry. I'm not even sure I'd be angry if he'd been roughed up. Maybe if he'd been killed. I am surprised by the behaviour of the police, but less than I wish I was. I suppose I'm just used to living in a society where religion is considered a private matter and rule of law generally holds.
              sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by bolo121 View Post

My only 'fixation' was with the constant erosion of free speech and liberty in India especially since the current govt came in.
                Bolo, don't you think that the erosion of free speech has been going on since the UPA-I days? Remember Kapil Sibal and the facebook posts? It's the same shit different day. The central govt is waking up to the fact that the internet gives the citizens an unprecedented voice and has tried its best to strangle it ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by cataphract View Post
                  Bolo, don't you think that the erosion of free speech has been going on since the UPA-I days? Remember Kapil Sibal and the facebook posts? It's the same shit different day. The central govt is waking up to the fact that the internet gives the citizens an unprecedented voice and has tried its best to strangle it ever since.
                  If you would have read my sentence a bit closer i did mention 'constant'. Its same shit different day all right but the speed and nastiness has had an appreciable uptick.

Comment

I mentioned that this was not a troll article dug up from the internet it was all over both National and local media.
                    I don't care where you saw it. Its a subject of disinterest to the general public. But somehow you don't understand what that means.

Yes, Right

The indian constitution offers the right to free speech in article 19 albeit with several condition/exceptions in clause 2
                    Nothing in sub clause (a) of clause ( 1 ) shall affect the operation of any existing law, or prevent the State from making any law, in so far as such law imposes reasonable restrictions on the exercise of the right conferred by the said sub clause in the interests of 1) the sovereignty and integrity of India, 2) the security of the State, 3) friendly relations with foreign States, 4) public order, 5) decency or morality or 6) in relation to contempt of court, 7) defamation or 8) incitement to an offence
                    Every indian govt has used the above exception/s to restrict free speech throughout history. In my observation, the INC has used the clauses in more cases than BJP, the popular right wing govt, which is weird and question these govts very nature if you ask me.
                    Last edited by anil; 25 Oct 15,, 20:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella
                      I suppose I'm just used to living in a society where religion is considered a private matter and rule of law generally holds.
                      I see the whole thing as an interaction between two foreign cultures.

IMO, the australian guy freaked out completely and called the police on them. I'm not saying he's at fault. Perhaps if he could engage with the crowd intelligently then he could have opened up something positive.

Generally, tourists in india are so overwhelmed with the country that many refuse to make eye contact with the locals and behave evasively. It is unlikely that a entire crowd approached him rather if formed one by one. It may have started as a small conversation where he might have told them to leave them alone(grumpy and evasive) which attracted the crowd.

I recall an incident from last week, in a mumbai train. An unwritten principle among indians is a concept called "adjust" or "kindly adjust" which basically is an understanding of sharing resources, which in a train means a seat. The train seat is meant for 3 people but 4 people share it and is very common. It was a normal day. Sitting in front of me were 3 guys, one african. A 20 something gujarati guy boarded the train and used sign language to ask the african guy to "adjust". Suddenly and in an instant, the african dude bursted into a loud rhetoric - "ARE YOU AN IDIOT? ARE YOU BLIND?", "CAN'T YOU SEE?". His yelling had attached the whole trains attention. No one said anything. The gujarati guy stared into his eyes for 2 seconds and left.

After the incident, I imagine the african guy thinking that he stood his ground. I didn't understand his behaviour but I imagine it was based on his foreignculture and he behaved as per his way. Although what he didn't know(and may probably never know) was that he had angered not just one guy in the train but the whole compartment. The people where so outraged by his behaviour that they paused and kept quiet. Crowd violence is not uncommon in trains and the african guy had no idea what could have happened.

Things don't always turn out this way. These are some exceptions:

Last edited by anil; 25 Oct 15,, 20:27.

Comment

Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
                        If you would have read my sentence a bit closer i did mention 'constant'. Its same shit different day all right but the speed and nastiness has had an appreciable uptick.
                        What makes you think so? The mainstream media is as nasty and TRP-hungry as ever. Individual rights to free speech however, are being slowly eroded. I don't see any uptick there.

Comment

Originally posted by cataphract View Post
                          What makes you think so? The mainstream media is as nasty and TRP-hungry as ever. Individual rights to free speech however, are being slowly eroded. I don't see any uptick there.
                          What I see is that the previous situation persists plus now the religious nasties have come out to play. Thus the uptick.

Comment

I don't care where you saw it. Its a subject of disinterest to the general public. But somehow you don't understand what that means.
                            Its a subject of disinterest to you certainty, I don't think we can extrapolate to the general public based on your elliptical sentences.

Yes, Right

The indian constitution offers the right to free speech in article 19 albeit with several condition/exceptions in clause 2

Every indian govt has used the above exception/s to restrict free speech throughout history. In my observation, the INC has used the clauses in more cases than BJP, the popular right wing govt, which is weird and question these govts very nature if you ask me.
                            I was not referring to the constitution and its threadbare exception filled easily blocked off free speech clauses.
                            Although you are correct in that the congress has done many things to restrict free speech, more in total than the BJP as they have been in govt for more terms.
                            I was referring to using religion/communal based threats as a tool to suppress free expression and liberty.
                            Since the right wingers came to power, this has increased.
                            Last edited by bolo121; 26 Oct 15,, 01:58.

Comment

I see the whole thing as an interaction between two foreign cultures.

IMO, the australian guy freaked out completely and called the police on them. I'm not saying he's at fault. Perhaps if he could engage with the crowd intelligently then he could have opened up something positive.
                              OK, now I am actually getting angry because a supposedly intelligent person is saying unintelligent things.

He was threatened with physical violence by a large group of men who refused to let he & his girlfriend leave. They threatened to cut the fucking skin off his leg! That part of it wasn't some 'misunderstanding', it was religious extremism. If he had been drinking alcohol in a Muslim country & had been threatened with physical harm we wouldn't be talking about how he should have 'engaged them'.

"One of them came to me and confronted me about my tattoo. Soon they surrounded us and threatened to skin my leg and remove the tattoo," Mr Gordon told Indian media on Sunday.

It was reported the group quickly grew to over 25 men who blocked them from exiting the restaurant.
                              http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-2...tattoo/6867722

Generally, tourists in india are so overwhelmed with the country that many refuse to make eye contact with the locals and behave evasively. It is unlikely that a entire crowd approached him rather if formed one by one. It may have started as a small conversation where he might have told them to leave them alone(grumpy and evasive) which attracted the crowd.
                              This guy had lived in India for 3 years! he wasn't some tourist in culture shock, so cut the bullshit excuses..

Mr Gordon, a law student, told The Hindu he had a strong attachment to the faith after spending three years in the southern state of Tamil Nadu.
                              Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/australi...#ixzz3pdB53txU
                              Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

This is actually pretty straighforward. One of my countrymen with a deep attachment to India did something he thought reflected that respect & attachment. In doing so he caused offence and was threatened with some serious physical violence by a mob. He was in the wrong, they were off the fucking planet....or they would be in the civilized world. That was me being angry. Make more excuses & I'll get even angrier.
                              sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Bigfella, It's very unfortunate. If you believe an entire crowd dropped on the australian guy simply because of a tattoo then it's difficult for me to have a conversation with you.

Comment

Working...
                                X