Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by desertswo View Post
    That's it then. We're all doomed.
    I, for one, welcome our chinese overlords. As long as I can keep eating italian lasana... /joke

Two itens I'd forgoten: they had severall LCD screens on the walls along the walls of severall corridors. Quite a few were Sony, not chinese brands! Scandal!
    Also along those corridors, where visitors were led, there were many propaganda posters: troopers in heroic poses, photos of heros, etc. But the were all in chinese! Seriously, if you want to show such things to foreigners, at least put them in dual language?...

PS: forum smiles are not working, or is it just me?

Comment

Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
      I, for one, welcome our chinese overlords. As long as I can keep eating italian lasana... /joke

Two itens I'd forgoten: they had severall LCD screens on the walls along the walls of severall corridors. Quite a few were Sony, not chinese brands! Scandal!
      Also along those corridors, where visitors were led, there were many propaganda posters: troopers in heroic poses, photos of heros, etc. But the were all in chinese! Seriously, if you want to show such things to foreigners, at least put them in dual language?...

PS: forum smiles are not working, or is it just me?
      Forum emoticons aren't working....

Did you take any photos of the hallways and corridors of the PLAN ships? Or was that not allowed?

http://www.pbase.com/hammerbolt/image/161604419

This is internal propaganda, that's why it's not in English.

"The spine of a man is not the bone, but his spirit.
      The spine of a unit is not the weapons, but the spirit*."

The 2 "spirits" are not exactly the same in Chinese. I don't quite know how to explain the difference.
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
        Did you take any photos of the hallways and corridors of the PLAN ships? Or was that not allowed?

http://www.pbase.com/hammerbolt/image/161604419
        This was the only place that wasn't chock-full of people. Any photos inside were simply not possible. Tried to wait near the ASW torpedo tubes for people to clear out, but no luck...

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
        This is internal propaganda, that's why it's not in English.

"The spine of a man is not the bone, but his spirit.
        The spine of a unit is not the weapons, but the spirit*."

The 2 "spirits" are not exactly the same in Chinese. I don't quite know how to explain the difference.
        Thanks!

Comment

According to this article the Chinese Navy will be making an appearance at Mayport.

A trio of Chinese warships in the middle of a world tour are in route to Naval Station Mayport, Fla. for a scheduled goodwill port visit next month, U.S. Navy officials told USNI News on Thursday.

The officials would not specify the People’s Liberation Army Navy (PLAN) combatants involved but USNI News understands the three ships are the Type 052C Luyang II-class guided-missile destroyer Jinan (152), the Type 054A Jiangkai II-class guided-missile frigate Yiyang (548) and the Type 903 Fuchi-class fleet oiler Qiandao Hu (886).

Jane’s reported the trio was in Stockholm late last month.

“Three vessels are on an around-the-world deployment and will conduct the goodwill visit after completing port calls in Europe,” read a statement from Navy Region Southeast.
          “The amphibious assault ship USS Iwo Jima (LHD-7) will serve as the host ship. In Mayport, sailors from both navies will participate in sporting events and interact during ship tours.”

U.S. officials would not elaborate if there would be an at-sea training component to the visit slated to run from Nov. 3rd to the 7th.

Navy officials stressed the visit was planned months in advance but comes as Washington and Beijing are still at loggerheads over territorial possessions in the South China Sea.

The Obama administration has been weighing for weeks whether or not it will send a freedom of navigation mission within 12 nautical miles — the internationally recognized maritime border — of features in the Spratly and Paracel China has reclaimed from the sea. The creation of the new islands, which the U.S. does not recognize as Chinese territory, has inflamed tension in the region.

One member of Congress expressed concern that increased cooperation from U.S. should come along with more Chinese transparency.

“While the U.S. has been fervently cultivating military-to-military exchanges, China’s behavior at sea has not tracked with its rhetoric of a ‘peaceful rise’,” read a Thursday statement from Rep. Randy Forbes, from the chair of the House Armed Services Subcommittee on Seapower and Projection Forces, to USNI News.
          “Engagement like the upcoming Chinese visit to Mayport should not be done purely for engagement’s sake, and I hope that in addition to increased transparency, we start to see China moderate its other destabilizing activities.”
          In addition to the Mayport visit, China has sent the flotilla to first ever PLAN port visits in the Baltic Sea in ports like Stolkholm, Sweden and Helsinki, Finland as part of the world tour

Earlier this month a PLAN training ship with Chinese midshipmen pulled into Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam.

Yesterday, a collection of about two dozen U.S. naval officers paid a visit to the Chinese aircraft carrier Liaoning in China, according to Chinese state controlled press and confirmed by the Navy.
          http://news.usni.org/2015/10/22/chin...na-sea-tension

Comment

Originally posted by surfgun View Post
            Type 903 Fuchi-class fleet oiler Qiandao Hu (886).
            This one was here as well, but I never saw it. For some reason, it either docked separatly from the others, or left early...

Comment

Originally posted by surfgun View Post
              According to this article the Chinese Navy will be making an appearance at Mayport.
              I'm about 10 minutes away from Mayport but I might as well be a million miles away for all the chance that I'll get to see those ship :-(
              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Take a boat ride down the St. John's and you'll see all you need to see.

Comment

Originally posted by desertswo View Post
                  Take a boat ride down the St. John's and you'll see all you need to see.
                  Can you see the basin from the river?
                  “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                    Can you see the basin from the river?
                    Oh yeah. You damn near get sucked into the basin. It really isn't very big. I operated Jesse L. Brown out of there for about six weeks. Good times. Lots of good beach bars down the coast.

Comment

Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
                      Things to avoid with the anchor....
                      been a while since I've seen the Momsen out of the water.. she's my 2nd ship, and I'm a plank owner on her. ( PS, the sonar dome is black, they just have it covered with white plastic)

Comment

Working...
                      X