Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explosions in Turkey's capital kill 86 people at peace march

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/europe/...at-peace-march

Witnesses said the two explosions happened seconds apart shortly after 10am (8pm NZ Time) as hundreds, including HDP activists, leftists, labour unions and other civic groups, gathered for a planned march to protest over the deaths of hundreds since conflict resumed between security forces and the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) in the mainly Kurdish southeast.

"I heard one big explosion first and tried to cover myself as the windows broke. Right away there was the second one," said Serdar, 37, who was working at a newspaper stand in the train station.

"There was shouting and crying and I stayed under the newspapers for a while. I could smell burnt flesh."

There were no claims of responsibility for the attack, which comes as external threats mount for NATO member Turkey with increased fighting across its border with Syria and incursions by Russian warplanes on its air space over the last week.

But Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu, exposing a mosaic of domestic political perils, said Islamic State, Kurdish or far-leftist militants could have carried out the bombing.
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

It is all over the news here. Still can't get my thoughts in line. Who and why would kill people calling for peace?

RIP.
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

God bless and I hope none of my friends sufferred loss.
      Chimo

Comment

Rest in peace.
        Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
          It is all over the news here. Still can't get my thoughts in line. Who and why would kill people calling for peace?

RIP.
          These fkin wankers thats who .The ones spreading like locusts thro the invite via Europe

R I P .

Islamic State is responsible for two blasts that killed at least 95 people in the Turkish capital Ankara, according to sources.
          Reuters says it has been told that initial signs indicate the militant group carried out the attack, which a pro-Kurdish political party says left 128 dead.
          The HDP (People's Democratic Party), which was among the groups attending the rally, said that 120 of those who died had been identified and eight more bodies remained unidentified.
          The government says 95 people died and 245 others were wounded by the twin explosions which occurred seconds apart on Saturday morning.
          A senior security source that Reuters spoke to said the attack bore a striking resemblance to a suicide bombing in July in the town of Suruc near the Syrian border, also blamed on Islamic State.
          The source said: "This attack was in the style of Suruc and all the signs are that it was a copy of that attack ... the signs point to ISIL (Islamic State)."
          Protests have been held across the country to denounce the bombings which came at the beginning of a march calling on the government to stop strikes on Kurdish rebels.
          There has been no claim of responsibility for the attack - the worst in Turkey's history - but earlier Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said Kurdish rebels, Islamic State militants or leftist groups were most likely to blame.
          He also said there was evidence that suicide bombers carried out the blasts.
          Co-leader of the HDP, Selahattin Demirtas, accused the Turkish state of bearing responsibility for the attack.
          One of the Turkish newspapers claimed that investigators had determined that one of the bombers was a male aged about 25 or 30.
          Turkish news agency Dogan reported that police detained 14 suspected members of Islamic State in the central Turkish city of Konya. But is not known whether this was in response to the bombing.
          Scuffles broke out on Sunday morning as police used tear gas on pro-Kurdish mourners who attempted to pay their respects to the victims.
          Thousands marched towards the centre of Ankara, chanting slogans against President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who many accuse of increasing tensions with Kurds to profit at the ballot box in November.
          Later, the funeral of the first of the victims, 25-year-old Korkmaz Tedik, was held with dozens of those attending raising their fists in the air as they continued their protests against Mr Erdogan.
          Turkey's President strongly denies the accusations and said the attack had not targeted "a single group, citizens who joined the rally or a political community but targeted our people as a whole."
          An election is due to take place in Turkey on 1 November and Mr Davutoglu has suspended campaigning for three days in light of the bombings, but an official has said there is no possibility the election will be postponed.

Comment

Working...
          X