Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

India reacts strongly to reports of US-Pak nuke pact, says 'check Islamabad's prolife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by antimony View Post
    An interesting tidbit (not that it changes anything on the whole) : India has a very hot startup scene right now, especially in the south. Does not compare with the US, but this is a very welcome change of pace since I was living there. People are starting to take risks and shed the stigma of not having a job in a "good company"

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-33424303
    I believe India has potential and the US should actively work with India to check China and the islamists. But the road for India will be even longer and more difficult than China. Being the largest democracy has the drawback of sometimes nothing gets done. Central planning has the advantage of quickly pulling a backwater country into the industrial age. Soviet Union did it. China did it. Taiwan did it. Vietnam is attempting to.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a free market guy. But central planning has some advantages, especially in catch-up mode.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

• Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
      FREAKING DISCONNECT! I get this now! You Indian natives, including Indian Army Officers, HAVE ABSOLUTELY ZERO CLUE WHAT IT MEANS TO BE TREATED AS A REGIONAL POWER, OR EVEN A WORLD POWER!

And all of you are freaking shocked when we actually do treat you as one!

Sorry, if you want to be in the Big Boys Club, be prepared to be treated as Big Boy! Little Boy excuses no longer apply!
      Oh Col,

Took you a while !

This is so true. We Indians have no offical position( other than sitting on the fence) on world events, yet been wasting resources for UNSC seat !

Should tell you something.

Comment

• One thing I do know is India wants Pakistan to survive.

More Pakistanis have died, in the process of matching and conquering India, than in wars with it!

Luckily for us they are all in one place and on the western borders and not inside India.

The silver lining, it is also the gatekeeper against holy warriors from Arab land.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
          I don't get it. How?
          Where's your best armies stationed? During the height of the Cold War, China fought two wars against Vietnam - using her worst diviisions. China recognized that Moscow was willing to fight China down to the last Vietnamese. China turned the tables. Killing the last Vietnamese meant nothing. Killing the first Russian does.

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
          I don't get it. How?
          I'll let Indian MPs anser that. But as a civilian, I don't want anything to do with regional power. It would be nice if the West, particularly US stop supporting Pakistan, whatever the end gains are. You're arming the mullahs to the hilt, and one day they'd threaten your security too.[/QUOTE]They already are but it's easier to give them an enemy to kill instead of Americans.

Hell, how fast did the Pakistani Army responded to the execution of Chinese engineers?
          Chimo

Comment

But this is self inflicted catch 22.

Why do you want to put a check on the IA? Because the PA is active on the eastern borders
            OH come on, the only army capable of supporting us in a push either into Russia or Iran.

Originally posted by antimony View Post
            Why is the PA active on the eastern borders? Because you want to put a check on the IA.
            It could be Mickey Mouse and the Legions of Doom but no way in hell are we going to not watch the only army capable of stopping us.

Originally posted by antimony View Post
            And you will not even consider a non-aggression pact.
            What non-aggression Pact? We have zero legal rights to negotiate such a pact on Pakistani territory and for you to win such a battle means destroying our LOCs. Not going to happen.
            Chimo

Comment

• @OoE,

Many of the active indian members on WAB belong to some or the other minority community who see and have seen america as an ally but are not aware of realpollitics.
              It saddens them.

There are some serious misunderstandings about india. It is not trying to be a super power and neither does it want its people to manufacture for the world.
              Last edited by anil; 17 Oct 15,, 05:04.

Comment

• Originally posted by anil View Post
                It is not trying to be a super power and neither does it want its people to manufacture for the world.
                I'm sorry but what? A job is a job. It puts food on the table and give your kids an education so they can be better than you. I certainly hope to hell that my daughter would do better than me, way better than me.

Is this kind of thinking unique to the West?
                Chimo

Comment

• ^It wasn't a social criticism.

An export oriented economy is not appealing. The modi govt is trying to flare up domestic assembly lines more to safeguard the internal economy than to compete against china through undercuts and subsidies.

Comment

• Witch-hunt on to limit Pakistan's nuclear power: Pak daily

Excerpts:
                    No matter, research is research, and the witch-hunt has begun to limit Pakistan's nuclear power. The Indian media is especially happy with the development, and India will be the first to benefit from any restrictions the US would like to impose on us
                    US will turn us into another Iran if they go down this path, another global boogeyman. Pakistan will never bend to such deals, and only suffer economically if any sanctions are enforced. These are the seeds for more resentment, more terror and more extremism.
                    The US is playing with fire. However, it may not reach the state of sanctions, but we may have limitations put on our sale and buying of technology. China has already broken ground on a $9.6 billion nuclear power complex in Karachi, so the regulation will amount to naught- except the creation of Pakistan into a regional villain.
                    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                      I'm sorry but what? A job is a job. It puts food on the table and give your kids an education so they can be better than you. I certainly hope to hell that my daughter would do better than me, way better than me.

Is this kind of thinking unique to the West?
                      If you ask the Puritans why they are working so hard and learning to read, they say it pleases God, not because they want a better life for their kids. Protestant Work Ethic is more a reaction against those damn Catholics. Throughout most of history, it's just a waste of time because humanity was stuck in a Malthusian Trap. Once the Industrial Revolution happens, those values stick and morph into a different rationale.

So, yes, that way of thinking is quite alien to most of human history. You don't do things to help your kids. You help your kids by keeping your land.

I don't know how much this thinking has extended into other cultures or not, but just throwing that out there.

Also throwing this book out there:
                      http://www.amazon.com/How-Asia-Works.../dp/0802121322

Anil, it sounds like you are trying to follow something called Import-Substitution Industrialization, which ended poorly for the South American nations that tried it. The best way to develop is to put yourself in the Global Supply Chain and that means you have factories and export to the rest of the world. You can try developing internally and building essentially everything from scratch, but there are few nations that ever successfully caught up that way. The Soviets did decently for a short while but that's about all I can think of.
                      "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

• Originally posted by anil View Post
                        @OoE,

Many of the active indian members on WAB belong to some or the other minority community who see and have seen america as an ally but are not aware of realpollitics.
                        It saddens them.
                        Minority community who see America as an ally?? what does minority community have to do with anything?
                        "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

Minority community who see America as an ally?? what does minority community have to do with anything?
                          He meant bongs and tribals. Not the rowdy marathis. :-)
                          Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
                            Also throwing this book out there:
                            http://www.amazon.com/How-Asia-Works.../dp/0802121322

Anil, it sounds like you are trying to follow something called Import-Substitution Industrialization, which ended poorly for the South American nations that tried it. The best way to develop is to put yourself in the Global Supply Chain and that means you have factories and export to the rest of the world. You can try developing internally and building essentially everything from scratch, but there are few nations that ever successfully caught up that way. The Soviets did decently for a short while but that's about all I can think of.
                            I'm sorry, you have the wrong idea because Anil pointed you that way. It's incorrect.

Make in India is export oriented. Boeing outsources the manufacturing of the aircraft doors to a firm in Bangalore. Do I buy that door to use it as a show-piece in my flat? I don't. I probably cannot afford that. Boeing is also in talks to assemble helicopters in India.

Make in India push: Boeing mulls assembling either Apache or Chinook helicopter in India

It's for the world and Indians too who can afford those. Internal consumption is a lie. Not every Indian can afford an iPhone 6S.

Taiwan's Foxconn plans $5 billion investment over five years in Indian facility

What is Foxconn planning? Making dhotis for the rural Indians?

Dhoti - typical male attire, rural Indians wear. Marathis selling wada-pav wear it in Mumbai too.
                            Last edited by Oracle; 17 Oct 15,, 17:50.

Comment

• Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                              I believe India has potential and the US should actively work with India to check China and the islamists. But the road for India will be even longer and more difficult than China. Being the largest democracy has the drawback of sometimes nothing gets done. Central planning has the advantage of quickly pulling a backwater country into the industrial age. Soviet Union did it. China did it. Taiwan did it. Vietnam is attempting to.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a free market guy. But central planning has some advantages, especially in catch-up mode.
                              One of the first things that the current Modi government did was to dissolve the Central Planning Commission
                              "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

• IMV it doesn't serve the US's interests to side with India. I don't blame them for it , I also don't blame them for being paranoid and point their Nukes at us. They would expect more from India to suit their agenda. Like someone said here earlier there are too many schools of thinking and ideologies within India that not only exist but also has quite a say to be anyone's lap dog. India can't be tamed IMHO. The policy makers in US don't see any benefits apart from a 'potential' market that might or might not unlock it's potential that would benefit the businessmen in the US. But what I still don't understand is how the US policy makers are thinking about offering the Pakistani's who very often publicly threatened with Nuclear attack on India. The same US that was worried about the possibility of those falling under the hands of jihadists. Well I guess I would never understand their stand with regards to Pakistan. EVER.

Comment

Working...
                                X