No announcement yet.

British army (maybe) getting a new MBT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The UK are completely rearming and modernising their armoured component. So beware because if you are sat in a tin can with some pea shooter stuck out front, then you are just a target for practice ..and good luck with that!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Freyr View Post
      The UK are completely rearming and modernising their armoured component. So beware because if you are sat in a tin can with some pea shooter stuck out front, then you are just a target for practice ..and good luck with that!!!
      But can shoot back lol. Tin cans like chally 2 have proven great success on the battlefield and if one or two are targeting you well ,, good luck with that ,, the cvrt like warrior scorp etc etc are the tin cans you mention tho .Cheers for the conversation mate as i reckon im gonna pull down my cuppola in my tin can and ride off into the sunset playing my guitar singing about my dead dawg , my burned down farm and raped wife by the nasty indians ...yee haaa .
      Last edited by tankie; 07 Jun 19,, 09:31.

Comment

Each branch of the combat arms (guns, infantry, armour, enginners) have their place. Infantry can deny armour ground. Artillery can pound infantry. Tanks can rance under artillery ballistic arcs before the shellls can land. Engineers can make or breach obstacles.

Within context, I would hate to be the bellycrawler with my ears ringing up the kazoo, my body shaking from the artillery blast overpressure, and what little focus my eyes have trying to see through smoke to line up the AT that is plowing over me.

I usually simplify things to uneducated civies (which I don't think you are). What is the best gun/grenade/tank/plane/nunchuck? The ones that are coming to my rescue when I'm being charged by a 1000 pissed off fire breathing dragons.

What is the worst gun/grenade/tank/plane/nunchuck? The ones that are not where I am when I'm being charged by a 1000 pissed off fire breathing dragons.
        Chimo

Comment

Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
          Each branch of the combat arms (guns, infantry, armour, enginners) have their place. Infantry can deny armour ground. Artillery can pound infantry. Tanks can rance under artillery ballistic arcs before the shellls can land. Engineers can make or breach obstacles.

Within context, I would hate to be the bellycrawler with my ears ringing up the kazoo, my body shaking from the artillery blast overpressure, and what little focus my eyes have trying to see through smoke to line up the AT that is plowing over me.

I usually simplify things to uneducated civies (which I don't think you are). What is the best gun/grenade/tank/plane/nunchuck? The ones that are coming to my rescue when I'm being charged by a 1000 pissed off fire breathing dragons.

What is the worst gun/grenade/tank/plane/nunchuck? The ones that are not where I am when I'm being charged by a 1000 pissed off fire breathing dragons.
          I can only hope this Tech further reduces blue on blue and increases battle space awareness. Slightly concerned about the ease of this tech and its ability to act quicker than the frontal lobe. But thats where we are and the tech can't be undone

Comment

I can only hope this Tech further reduces blue on blue and increases battle space awareness. Slightly concerned about the ease of this tech and its ability to act quicker than the frontal lobe. But thats where we are and the tech can't be undone
            More often than not, it's the frontal lobe that's the problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarnak_Farm_incident

However, this example shows what happens when the tech does work.

Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 08 Jun 19,, 16:50.
            Chimo

Comment

More often than not, it's the frontal lobe that's the problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarnak_Farm_incident

However, this example shows what happens when the tech does work.

....My frontal lobe is my life long problem. Which gets me into so much trouble!

Comment

As long as you haven't said, "I do," you're still good.
                Chimo

Comment

As long as you haven't said, "I do," you're still good.
                  Yeh been there, I'd rather fish...than go back to that.

Comment

Comment

Wouldn't that barrel camera get thrown out the moment the gun fired?...

And those goggles seem heavy...

Comment

Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
                        Wouldn't that barrel camera get thrown out the moment the gun fired?
                        ...Well the Danes used a sports camera...which on the new ones has a stabilisation mode, so certainly the extreme vibration can be accommodated...But yes in close quarter urban warfare I can see issues with the fit, but that can be altered. I can certainly see the thrust of the idea, its just seeing it work practically

And those goggles seem heavy...[/QUOTE]Yeh ..bit like having nearly two heads ..lol..but again new tech is always initially ridiculous in practical terms..only time can cure these flaws

Comment

I am leery of 2 things....

1. The multiple camera views. Studies in the C3I realm in the US have shown that you get to a point of information overload & screen fixation. A tank is not a fighter. Too much going on can cause issues. I could see some but I think they have too many views. The beauty of Blue Force Tracker was it gave SA without information overload. Perhaps a scout system would find all of this useful but not an MBT.

2. I would prefer a monocular for the helmet mounted system. Always want to have one eye unemcumbered, espcially in daylight. Also, every Soldier a helmet cam...again, too much info flowing at a commander.

I know all are in the early days but I would love to see further refinement.

A side note: The blade on the tank? You better train th ehell out of that crew and teach them properly what they can and cannot do. Cause if you don't you'll be changing transmissions & final drives a whole bunch.
                          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                          Mark Twain

Comment

All those cameras and screens. Wouldn't a drone be easier, cheaper, and more effective? Concur on the blade. Zipperheads ain't engineers.
                            Chimo

Comment

I can certainly see the benefits of a preinstalled camera on the gun barrel. But too many screens can be counter productive. 'Just Enough' info would be nice...

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                                I am leery of 2 things....

1. The multiple camera views. Studies in the C3I realm in the US have shown that you get to a point of information overload & screen fixation. A tank is not a fighter. Too much going on can cause issues. I could see some but I think they have too many views. The beauty of Blue Force Tracker was it gave SA without information overload. Perhaps a scout system would find all of this useful but not an MBT.
                                Treadheads. I'm guessing the number of info screens that causes confusion, loss of SA would be two (I'm being generous)

Also, every Soldier a helmet cam...again, too much info flowing at a commander.
                                As John Allen once told us, when he was my battalion Commander, "You have to know when to turn the tech off and fight the battle."

Also I'm seeing the cutdown 55gal drum on the back and all I can think of is grilling steaks

Comment

Working...
                                X