No announcement yet.

British army (maybe) getting a new MBT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem is that the EU doesn't have a "defense budget". I realise folks in this forum are not like this, but many in the US seem to forget that Europe is a continent, not a country, and what that means. It's a group of countries, each with it's economy, politics, etc. Which means each has to pay for it's armed forces out of what can be a very small budget. My own country, for example, could barelly aford a single 2nd-hand tank batalion (Leopard 2), for our single brigade...

And even the richer northern countries are feeling the pinch on costs. And replacing old gear isn't helping. The Netherlands is replacing 80+ F-16s with less than 40 F-35s! If this relatively rich country can't aford more, what about the others?...

Comment

The EU and Britain could afford a very effective defense force given the collective size of the member state economies. The problem is getting them to surrender national sovereignty as it pertains to defense force planning and procurement. The political and military elites of all member States each want control their own separate and independent armed forces, equipped along lines they choose and trained for missions they regard as a priority. All of them equipped with their chosen weapon and support systems and each with its own independent military ethos and training priorities. Yes there are some big ticket items like the Eurofighter where several nations have come together (because the cold hard reality of paying for them as individual states has hit them in the face) but apart from that its just way to hard to overcome the politics and bureaucratic inertia preventing any such system. (Imagine what the US defense forces would look like if all the state governments in the US had to collectively agree on the size and structure of defense spending every year).

So in a perfect world Europe could afford a centralized defense acquisition system that selected and purchased everything from uniforms to major strategic weapons systems based on the budget allocation it received from its member states together with centralized military planning agency run by senior officers of the major states. Here in the real world - good luck getting something like that up and running in the next few decades.
      If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

BAE Package (Black Night)

link

The Challenger 2 Life Extension Project (LEP) is a UK MOD contract to remove obsolescence from Challenger 2 and extend its out-of-service date by ten years to 2035, and is worth over £700m.

The technology, developed by Leonardo in the UK, forms part of the BAE Systems led bid to upgrade the tank and would for the first time bring independent night vision for both the gunner and the commander.

Also known as ‘electro-optic technology’, the thermal imaging system will help British troops identify potential threats and move undetected in hostile situations, while also shaving valuable seconds off reaction times, which can make the difference between mission success and failure.

The company say that instead of sensing light like a standard digital camera, Leonardo’s infrared camera senses heat emitted by all objects with temperatures greater than absolute zero (-273°C).

The hundreds-of-thousands of individual pixels in the camera, each one-twelfth the thickness of a human hair, can detect temperature differences as small as one-fiftieth of a centigrade, allowing for extremely sharp images.

Contract is due to be awarded in mid 2019
        Last edited by Freyr; 17 Apr 19,, 09:53.

Comment

Rheinmetall recently released information concerning its bid which seems to show a completely new turret with smooth bore barrel. The turret is welded not cast.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1548224383105_Rheinmetall_Challenger_2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	1478078

Rheinmetall’s announced on 21 January that it would purchase a 55% stake in BAE Systems’ land business in the UK and has all but guaranteed work for both companies in the programme.

Comment

Makes my steam gunnery on cents look like hard work ,,,,and it was lol

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
              Makes my steam gunnery on cents look like hard work ,,,,and it was lol
              Thats going back a bit.... Yeh the new tech is more like a video game from the operators point of view. I see they are digitising all their armour at present..even the Warrior is getting the treatment

Comment

Originally posted by Freyr View Post
                Thats going back a bit.... Yeh the new tech is more like a video game from the operators point of view. I see they are digitising all their armour at present..even the Warrior is getting the treatment
                The warrior with 30 mm rarden, i was a gnry inst on rarden on scymitar and smg .

Comment

The warrior with 30 mm rarden, i was a gnry inst on rarden on scymitar and smg .
                  I'm not sure on the full upgrade package but I know they're putting a 40mm on the warrior. Same as on the Ajax AFV

Comment

I'm not sure on the full upgrade package but I know they're putting a 40mm on the warrior. Same as on the Ajax AFV
                    That may be true m8 but when i left it was 30mm rarden cannon , a weapon i loved , a punchy machine indeed with apse a gr8 round .

Comment

That may be true m8 but when i left it was 30mm rarden cannon , a weapon i loved , a punchy machine indeed with apse a gr8 round .
                      Jrj.... here's a link for you pal ;-) https://www.lockheedmartin.com/en-gb...-vehicles.html

I guess they've had to use one company to have unified IT platform across the entire fleet
                      Last edited by Freyr; 02 Jun 19,, 22:30.

Comment

Jrj.... here's a link for you pal ;-) https://www.lockheedmartin.com/en-gb...-vehicles.html

I guess they've had to use one company to have unified IT platform across the entire fleet
                        Cheers Freyr the infantry reg are certainly becoming more mechanised .

Comment

Is the new gun on the Warrior/Ajax stabilized? That was always the knock on the Rarden and it's accuracy on the move. They may have fixed that since my days.
                          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                          Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                            Is the new gun on the Warrior/Ajax stabilized? That was always the knock on the Rarden and it's accuracy on the move. They may have fixed that since my days.
                            Had a google A R and i cant find any stab on the 40s ,, but thats not to say they aint , maybe if a guy up to speed on em !!

Comment

Had a google A R and i cant find any stab on the 40s ,, but thats not to say they aint , maybe if a guy up to speed on em !!
                              It is. apparently. Found a PDF mentioning it, page 4 (warning: link autodownloads PDF).

Comment

Cheers mate .

Comment

Working...
                                X