• How Asians view each other

How Asians view each other
    Sep 18th 2015, 13:26 BY THE DATA TEAM

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150912_woc694_1.png
Views:	2
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	1485588

AS WE highlighted in our recent essay, old resentments die hard in Asia. The latest report by the Pew Research Centre on public perceptions in countries in the Asia-Pacific region bears this out. Historic grudges continue to colour the views East Asians in particular (in China, Japan and South Korea) hold about the other countries. Seventy years after Japan’s second-world-war surrender and the end of its occupation of much of China, very few Chinese see Japan in a favourable light. Correspondingly, as China has been increasingly assertive in pursuing its territorial dispute with Japan over the Senkaku or Diaoyu islands, the number of Japanese with positive views of China has fallen to similar levels.

The end of the second world war also marked the end of Japanese colonial rule in Korea. Many South Koreans, like many Chinese still believe that Japan has not apologised enough for its militaristic, colonial past. Today just 25% of South Koreans view Japan favourably. Elsewhere, however, although many other parts of Asia suffered Japanese aggression, much of the region holds a generally positive image of Japan. In Malaysia for example, also occupied by Japan during the war, 84% of those surveyed view Japan kindly. So too in South Asia, both Indians and Pakistanis hold favourable views of Japan (and reserve their deepest resentments for each other).

China meanwhile remains very popular with its “all-weather friend” Pakistan. And overall, a majority of those surveyed (57%) held favourable views of the biggest power in the region. But some countries, particularly those bordering the South China Sea, feel much more wary. They are alarmed by China’s frenzied construction activity in the sea, turning rocks and reefs into artificial islands that could have military uses. When asked about China’s overlapping territorial claims, the vast majority of people in the Philippines and Vietnam—where the disputes are most active are “very or somewhat concerned”. A majority of Indians, Japanese and South Koreans—all with their own territorial disagreements with China—are also worried.

An interesting report by the Pew Research Centre. Thought you guys would find it interesting.

East Asians don't consider South Asians to be "Asians."

Chinese don't like Japanese and vise versa because they're neighbors. Neighbors fight. Have you seen the brits and the franks?

Koreans really don't like Japanese for obvious reasons.

This poll has a somewhat misleading title. It's an anti-Chinese piece disguised as a poll. How about the opinions of Malaysians regarding Pakistani? Or Filipino and Indonesian?

There are territorial disputes between all neighboring states. How about the dispute between South Korea and Japan? India and Pakistan? Indonesia and Malaysia?

I'm not at all a fan of CCP, but come on, fair is fair. This ain't fair.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
      East Asians don't consider South Asians to be "Asians."

Chinese don't like Japanese and vise versa because they're neighbors. Neighbors fight. Have you seen the brits and the franks?

Koreans really don't like Japanese for obvious reasons.

This poll has a somewhat misleading title. It's an anti-Chinese piece disguised as a poll. How about the opinions of Malaysians regarding Pakistani? Or Filipino and Indonesian?

There are territorial disputes between all neighboring states. How about the dispute between South Korea and Japan? India and Pakistan? Indonesia and Malaysia?

I'm not at all a fan of CCP, but come on, fair is fair. This ain't fair.
      I actually got a much more positive vibe for China than I expected. Except Vietnam and Japan, everyone else has pretty favourable views compared to the other countries listed. Surprised with India's perception of the Chinese 40% approval is not bad considering the history.

EDIT: Another surprising case in point South Korea and China.
      Last edited by DarthSiddius; 21 Sep 15,, 19:47.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthSiddius View Post
        I actually got a much more positive vibe for China than I expected. Except Vietnam and Japan, everyone else has pretty favourable views compared to the other countries listed. Surprised with India's perception of the Chinese 40% approval is not bad considering the history.

EDIT: Another surprising case in point South Korea and China.
        There's also the view of the "people" vs. the view of the "government." We can like the people but despise the government. Japanese people are great individuals. Their government has a poor history in the 20th century. Other Asians might like the Chinese people as individuals, but do not like what the government is doing right now.

Like I said, this poll is incomplete and with a slant.
        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

I guess it should be named How Asia views its top 4 countries by nominal GDP. That explains the lack of opinions of Malaysians regarding Pakistani or Filipino and Indonesian. For the second info graph you might have a point.

Comment

China's surprisingly popular in Indonesia and the Philippines.

I suspect that a lot of people in "somewhat concern" category in the second survey will drop into "not too concerned" once peak media "Chinese island building" and the next Asian crisis/pseudo crisis comes along.

Comment

Why do Pakistanis and Indians dislike South Korea so much?

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                Why do Pakistanis and Indians dislike South Korea so much?
                Might have confused south with the north :P. Not sure why though, although I doubt it's active dislike more like a lack of any discernible exposure to the culture.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthSiddius View Post
                  Might have confused south with the north :P. Not sure why though, although I doubt it's active dislike more like a lack of any discernible exposure to the culture.
                  Or maybe they don't like Samsung phones?

Comment

^That

Comment

Another thing I noticed India and China don't seem to particularly like the other 3 countries. They have the shortest bars over-all. All that hate lol.

Comment

they are big. the others are small. in the eyes of the big the small get an automatic notchdown, and the other bigs get a notch and half down because they are rivals. if a country is both small and a rival, oh boy....

Comment

PS did you guys notice that china likes Japan better than Japan likes china? we are torn: every time aa WWII soap opera shows on TV the average Chinese just want to teach those jokers a lesson, but then when the is a non-patriotic holiday coming up everybody wants to go visit mt. fuji and Tokyo and Kyoto, soak in some hot springs and eat some sushi......

Comment

WWII was a war of the whites against the Asiatics. China was the only major power involved and she did shit all due to CKS.

Take that for what it's worth! The Communist Chinese did shit all but propagandized the 100 Regiments. The Nationalist Chinese ... well, Monkey's Ass can't afford a General who can overthrow his incomptetence.
                            Chimo

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                              WWII was a war of the whites against the Asiatics. China was the only major power involved and she did shit all due to CKS.

Take that for what it's worth! The Communist Chinese did shit all but propagandized the 100 Regiments. The Nationalist Chinese ... well, Monkey's Ass can't afford a General who can overthrow his incomptetence.
                              That's why Chinese people get riled up about WWII. They still doesn't feel like China properly won the war.

Comment

Working...
                              X