No announcement yet.

F-15 carrying 16 missiles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One point I found odd on the B-1R was that, apparently, the F-22 would serve as mini-AWACS and missile controler. Considering the huge internal volume on the B-1, including the much larger nose, and a 4-man crew, I'd expect the B-1 to carry a much more powerfull AA radar, as well as the firecontrol to guide at least 8-10 missiles all the way...

Comment

Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
      One point I found odd on the B-1R was that, apparently, the F-22 would serve as mini-AWACS and missile controler. Considering the huge internal volume on the B-1, including the much larger nose, and a 4-man crew, I'd expect the B-1 to carry a much more powerfull AA radar, as well as the firecontrol to guide at least 8-10 missiles all the way...
      Here's a question: is it cheaper to operate a single B-1R or 2 F-15 Missileers? They both have 4 engines and 4 crewmen.
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by citanon View Post
        The F-15 E is a strike fighter that's already designed to deal with weight and drag.

Combat loaded fighters frequently perform under g load restrictions and range penalties.
        That is my point you are going to carry an ungodly amount of missiles that will never be used just to bring them. If you limit the load out you have longer time in the air and greater range and ability to engage/disengage over a larger area. F15E and F15C share a lot in common including weight and drag penalties.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
          Here's a question: is it cheaper to operate a single B-1R or 2 F-15 Missileers? They both have 4 engines and 4 crewmen.
          Dunno about cheap, but I'd take the F-15. 2 planes means 2 available planes to deploy, 2 areas covered; they also need smaller airfields and hangars. And they are multipurpose.

Comment

its a survivability issue. a b1r putting out that much radar is going to get detected, tracked and shot. an f22 or f35 is much more survivable operating forward of the b1r to stealthily provide targeting solutions.

then the b1r rolls in hot at mach 2.2 60k ft to launch aim120D at the edge of its boosted acceptable confidence engagement envelope and buggers out, the f22 and f35 take over guidance. the 35s and 22s get in their own shots as the opfor tries to fight off the missiles or chase after the b1r.

result is total chaotic cluster-love on the opfor and calm well timed high pk shots on blue for.

don't think plane vs. plane. its now actually network versus network. if you want to win, your network better not be televised.

Comment

Can't remember where I read it now (I'll try and dredge it up this week sometime), but the plans also called for putting an AESA radar in the B-1R to help track all of those targets, and guide the AMRAAMs; they are actually planning on putting the AN/APG-83 SABR (Scalable Agile Beam Radar) in low-hour B-1B's, anyway, so it shouldn't be too hard to configure the radar to guide AMRAAMs.
              Last edited by Stitch; 17 Sep 15,, 04:22.
              "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Working...
              X