Russia claims new tank invisible to radar/IR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by snapper View Post
    Nor, unsurprisingly, is this 28 panfilovtsev, anything but propaganda: It is certainly not an accurate depiction as you claim. For starters not all of them died; two (Kuzhebergenov and Dobrobabin) were later interviewed by the NKVD (KGB predecessor) for alleged contacts with the enemy. Later a commission found 4 others still alive... The military judge who lead the commission of inquiry, Lieutenant-General Nikolai Afanasyev, concluded the whole story "did not occur. It was a pure fantasy." These inconvenient facts you were presumably unaware of when describing the the film as accurate... but I somewhat doubt that.
    Snapper, dear. Please take your time. Lots of documents are available. Read them. Yes, the story of 28 man killing 18 tanks in Red Star written in December 1941 was misleading. Soviet millitary investigation of 1950es documented what was there. It was not a judge but a prosecutor making an inquiry of documents from Soviet and German archives + interviewing SOME (many were not interviewed) people who were there. They stated that story of 28 was wrong, however HE NEVER doubted that battle took place. (what you mean "did not occur" ?)

Facts:

1) battle at Dubosekovo, Petelino, Shyryaevo took place. Germand size 2nd Panzer Div, Soviet side regiment 1075 of 316th Panfilov div.
    2) regiment lost around 400 men that day, and 4th company at Dubosekovo lost 100 of them (also most of personnel was lost by 45mm AT battery at Dubosekovo).
    3) 1st Group of 2nd Panzer div lost between 12 and 18 tanks + around 250 soldiers of which over 150 dead.

Losses on both sides are documented. If these losses don't make a battle for you then WHAT IS A BATTLE which OCCUR?

So what do you want to argue about here?

And 316th Div had a lot of Ukrainians!!!! lots of Ukrainians. They fought there and died in that battle. Like a real man. Whatever your nazi believes are today (Ms Azov lover). Please for god sake don't insult their honor....

ps. I don't want to continue discussion with you on on this topic. Others topics are welcomed.
    ps. 2. Every tenth soldier of Panfilov's division was Ukrainian
    Last edited by Garry; 25 Nov 16,, 11:20.

Comment

• I simply do not believe statements such as "This movie comes closest to what actually happened then in November 1941..." without even mentioning some of the other 'inconvenient facts' gives a clear and unbiased approximation of whatever the truth may be. Much the same as carte blanche labelling the war in Donbass as a "civil war" without mentioning any of the other 'inconvenient facts' is nothing but a type of RT propaganda - it is not representing even half the facts and so has no relation to any objective truth.

Comment

• if you are interested to read what happened there and how did 316th div could withstand against 2 infantry and 2 panzer divs on Volokolamsk highway. You can read good book by Alexander Bek about Gen Panfilov tactics.

https://www.amazon.com/Volokolamsk-H.../dp/B0006CHYD8
        http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...olamsk_Highway

Comment

• Also to call me an "Azov lover" is a bit like saying that Churchill was a 'Bolshevik lover'. He fundamentally was not because as he said they would have murdered him and his family and stood against all the history and liberties that to Churchill was important. I am not a Muslim either but have nothing against Chechen's fighting for Ukraine; as Churchill said "if Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favourable reference to the devil in the House of Commons." We are fortunate in Ukraine where - as opposed to say France - the far right on average receives the support of less than 5% of voters. Nor are Azov entirely 'nationalist' in the ordinary sense since they advocate - and organised a conference about - the intermarium idea which is a federalist or at least con-federalist idea by definition and should theoretically therefore be anathema to any normal 'nationalist' movement or whatever they want to call themselves. For myself I hope next year to join the Democratic Alliance which is led by people like Mustafa Nayeem and Svitlana Zalishchuk... the 'young reformers' as it were.

Comment

• Originally posted by snapper View Post
            I do not know who you think you are fooling any more.... A 'little green man' who is actually a soldier, payed, supplied and taking orders from Moscow in their national forces is still a Muscovite soldier whether he wears insignia or not. You may recall that Putin admitted that the 'little green men' in Crimea were Muscovite troops. The International Criminal Court last week classed Muscovite presence in Crimea as "occupation" further adding "The Russian federation employed members of its armed forces to gain control over parts of the territory of Ukraine without the consent of the government of Ukraine." We have identified 75 unite of the so called 'Russian' army that have been or are in Donbass now - the whole chain of command is controlled directly by the Muscovite army. Buryats, serving within the Muscovite army, do not up and off half a continent to take part in a battle without help or orders.... You are no longer fooling anyone so stop trying to fool yourself.
            Yeah, I'm as skeptical as they come...but to deny Moscow's full-fledged involvement in Donbas is fanciful, for the reasons Snapper listed.

Eventually Putin will come clean, just as he did with Crimea. In the meantime, sure, it's all "Wink wink, nudge nudge"...but the Kremlin couldn't fool a small child.
            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• One guy has recorded IR signatures of Russian armored vehicles on the parade of 9th of May. This video and pictures were posted later on some Russian web sites. They confirm that IR signatures of the modern AV are much smaller than that of the previous generations of Soviet/Russia AV.

here are some pics.... however.... the radars on Armata were off.... and hence radiated no heat.... while if previous leaks are correct, their high IR visibility is the main problem for Armata.

the video was filmed most probably on Tverskaya street on approach of AV to the red square during pre-parade training.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Armata1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	1470882Click image for larger version

Name:	Armata2.jpg
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	1470883Click image for larger version

Name:	Coalition1.jpg
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	1470884

Comment

• IR emissions is a very small fraction if not a subset of what gets harvested on the battlefield

taking kirlian happy snaps on parade really means diddly
                Linkeden:
                http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
                http://cofda.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Garry View Post
                  One guy has recorded IR signatures of Russian armored vehicles on the parade of 9th of May. This video and pictures were posted later on some Russian web sites. They confirm that IR signatures of the modern AV are much smaller than that of the previous generations of Soviet/Russia AV.

here are some pics.... however.... the radars on Armata were off.... and hence radiated no heat.... while if previous leaks are correct, their high IR visibility is the main problem for Armata.

the video was filmed most probably on Tverskaya street on approach of AV to the red square during pre-parade training.

[ATTACH]43828[/ATTACH][ATTACH]43829[/ATTACH][ATTACH]43830[/ATTACH]
                  Not real thermal images, just camera filters.

Comment

• the friend of mine watsapped me interesting source where Russian generals were criticizing Armata and Uralvagonzavod. I heard those arguments before. Let me bullet point what was there

- Armata is not the tank which is needed for Russian Army. It is a tank which is more suitable for Western Armies than for Russian/Soviet army.
                    - Army would prefer to modernize/upgrade existing T-90 tanks rather than buy more of Armata
                    - Uralvagozavod has designed Armata not on specifications required by the Army, but on their own, using their own views of what is needed and what specs are best for the new generation tank

major disagreements of the army:
                    - Armata is just like a Western tank, cannot be repaired on the battle field. Just like a western tank it is overcomplicated and its repair would mean replacement of the malfunctioning modules. It may lead to additional logistic pressure on the tank battle units, making them less autonomous. Indeed the western tank designs are focused on the speed of repair, assuming fast replacement of the whole modules. A number of malfunctions of T-72 and T-90 could be repaired by the crew or mechanics of the battle unit. While this may require much longer time it makes battle units more autonomous capable of operating further away from supply base.
                    - Armata's cannon has higher energy than that of T-90 and T-72. Abrams/Leopard has also a higher energy cannot. However, there is also a trade off - higher energy cannons has much lower resource. In case of Abrams the resource of the tank gun is only few hundred shots vs 1500-2000 for T-72/T-90. The main reason for that is high energy, which leads to higher accuracy on a distance, but leads to higher wear of the cannon. It means that western tanking unit would need to have significant amount of spare cannons for replacement, T-72/T-90 much less - it has higher autonomy. Armata's cannon has energy 30% higher than that of Abrams/Leopard => wear of its cannons is high => autonomy of the battle unit is much smaller.
                    - overall Western tanks are not designed for operations away from supply bases, their deployment is a logistical nightmare. Same will be for Armata, as it is designed with the same logic. Armata just like a western tanks is primarily an ANTI tank weapon, which is good for defense or offensive close to supply bases. Russian/Soviet army has different requirement for its machinery. It may agree for limitation of some capabilities, but AUTONOMY of battle units is major priority since WWII.
                    - and the last but not least, the cost of Western banks is much much higher than that of Soviet/Russian designs. These machines are not fast in mass production and costly in manufacturing (and operation as well). Soviet designs were optimized for fast and massive production at affordable cost. Armata is NOT. Its cost is too high to follow soviet army logic, and Russian Army does not agree to that. It cannot be mass produced, it is costly in operation, it requires maintenance which cannot be done by mechanics of the battle unit.

Bottom line, Army is thinking and working in is old paradigm, while Uralvagozavod made the tank to match western approach to tank use....

Sorry for my armature summary of what I have read. To me it sounded interesting..........

Comment

the friend of mine watsapped me interesting source where Russian generals were criticizing Armata and Uralvagonzavod. I heard those arguments before. Let me bullet point what was there
                      <SNIP>
                      Thanks for that post. Some interesting points here.

I guess the Armata, basically, represents a future that's a lot more complicated and expensive, and the russian army isn't too happy about that?...

Comment

• Garry, thanks for the run down. A lot of what you say makes sense and is confirmed in the military journals.
                        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                        Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
                          Thanks for that post. Some interesting points here.

I guess the Armata, basically, represents a future that's a lot more complicated and expensive, and the russian army isn't too happy about that?...
                          yep. to the point.

it basically contradicts the way the Russian army fights and operates. Armata is a more like a modern Tiger I/II, while Russian Army likes a modern type of T-34....
                          Tiger is good for defense on limited theaters, T-34 is a fast advance tool not fitting for a defense. Soviet/Russian army has a built around the logic of a Blitzkrieg

ps. one more comparison came to my mind - heavy armored knight vs light archer cavalry....
                          Last edited by Garry; 24 Jul 17,, 14:34.

Comment

• Excellent summaries and info Garry, thanks!
                            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

nit. While this may require much longer time it makes battle units more autonomous capable of operating further away from supply base.
                              - Armata's cannon has higher energy than that of T-90 and T-72. Abrams/Leopard has also a higher energy cannot. However, there is also a trade off - higher energy cannons has much lower resource. In case of Abrams the resource of the tank gun is only few hundred shots vs 1500-2000 for T-72/T-90. The main reason for that is high energy, which leads to higher accuracy on a distance, but leads to higher wear of the cannon. It means that western tanking unit would need to have significant amount of spare cannons for replacement, T-72/T-90 much less - it has higher autonomy. Armata's cannon has energy 30% higher than that of Abrams/Leopard => wear of its cannons is high => autonomy of the battle unit is much smaller. .
                              is this actually true? I mean, is it true that Abrams/ Leo cannon has less limit for shots than T-72/T-90 due to higher energy/precision? I browsed internet and people write contradicting opinions on this issue on different forums... Tankers, do you know that?

Comment

is this actually true? I mean, is it true that Abrams/ Leo cannon has less limit for shots than T-72/T-90 due to higher energy/precision? I browsed internet and people write contradicting opinions on this issue on different forums... Tankers, do you know that?
                                Its not impossible. I don't know the real specs for EFC barrel life either the 120mm or 125mm. It seems off though since muzzle energy from both using the latest rounds is very similar. You need a lot of pressure to propel a sabot to useful combat speeds. Both suffer less wear or handle pressures better than older rifled barrels. A quick internet search shows claims of 1500 EFC for the US/German gun and 1200 for the Russian gun. The few hundred rounds claim seems to be based on open source information about the 120mm rifled gun used in the Arjun/Chieftan (Challenger?) posted by DRDO which states a life of 500 EFC.

Comment

Working...
                                X