Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Garry View Post
    Flying tanks...
    I doubt that Sparky has defected to Russia, but he has long been frustrated with Army's resistance to adopting the Gavin name for the M113, and this does appear to be an application of Sparky's research into JATO powered M113s.

There is also that older picture of Sparky's cat in scaled testing:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cat_with_Jet_power.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	1469785

Comment

• Originally posted by JRT View Post
      I doubt that Sparky has defected to Russia, but he has long been frustrated with Army's resistance to adopting the Gavin name for the M113, and this does appear to be an application of Sparky's research into JATO powered M113s.

There is also that older picture of Sparky's cat in scaled testing:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42602[/ATTACH]

Note To Self: Do not be drinking bottle water while looking at WAB. I just spewed water all over my monitors and keyboard.

Sparky...geebus!
      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
      Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
        Note To Self: Do not be drinking bottle water while looking at WAB. I just spewed water all over my monitors and keyboard.

Sparky...geebus!
        At least it aint coffee. Lesson well learned (and paid for the keyboard)
        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• To a point that has to be accurate. We can't base our opinions on 20-30 years ago though, because then we become our own problem. American tank crews didn't fare well in a recent Nato tank training exercise....not even coming in the top 3.
          Which would lead me to suspect that recent conflicts have caused a lack of funding in Tank warfare training for the US tank crews???

Comment

• Apology's, above post was in reply to Tankie's post "Armata or ANY Tank is as good as the crew ,never forget that , 3k kills , 1st done by chally 1 1st gulf war 1991/2 , i believe firmly that the best tank trained crewmen are NATO trained , Brits being the cream of the crop of course ."

Comment

• Originally posted by Toby View Post
              To a point that has to be accurate. We can't base our opinions on 20-30 years ago though, because then we become our own problem. American tank crews didn't fare well in a recent Nato tank training exercise....not even coming in the top 3.
              Which would lead me to suspect that recent conflicts have caused a lack of funding in Tank warfare training for the US tank crews???
              They were not training against Russians. Also, they are not sending their best teams. Look back, afaik, US never "won" these tourneys, yet whenever a need arise they do their job. Germans and Danes by their sheer numbers will be a breakfast for the RA sans NATO (US) AF.
              No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                They were not training against Russians. Also, they are not sending their best teams. Look back, afaik, US never "won" these tourneys, yet whenever a need arise they do their job. Germans and Danes by their sheer numbers will be a breakfast for the RA sans NATO (US) AF.
                Absolutely, I agree with you on the numbers issue. Europe doesn't stand a chance on its own. My question is more to do with resources due to recent conflicts that the US has been heavily involved in...Have they and UK etc allocated enough to training and maintaining a healthy deterrent to counter a very sizable Russian armored component?

Comment

Absolutely, I agree with you on the numbers issue. Europe doesn't stand a chance on its own. My question is more to do with resources due to recent conflicts that the US has been heavily involved in...Have they and UK etc allocated enough to training and maintaining a healthy deterrent to counter a very sizable Russian armored component?
                  Toby, I'm curious about that too. It seems that if they are trying to allocate adequate resources, that they're not doing a good enough job. Russia has massive military capabilities.

Comment

• Originally posted by Manuka View Post
                    Toby, I'm curious about that too. It seems that if they are trying to allocate adequate resources, that they're not doing a good enough job. Russia has massive military capabilities.
                    Certainly on land Russia has a massive armoured capability. One which is not being addressed By Germany or the UK or France...Poland sounds seriously worried as do the Baltic countries, who can blame them?

Comment

To a point that has to be accurate. We can't base our opinions on 20-30 years ago though, because then we become our own problem. American tank crews didn't fare well in a recent Nato tank training exercise....not even coming in the top 3.
                      I assume you're referring to the Strong Europe Tank Challenge?

The US tankers that participated came from the 7th Infantry Regiment, of the 3rd Infantry Division because they were already in Europe for Atlantic Resolve. It wasn't like we flew in a crack team from the the 1st Armored just to make the US look good.

A handful of guys placing behind the Germans or other NATO members in a 3 day exercise isn't anything to be ashamed of, nor is it indicative of the performance of the myriad Armored divisions the US fields. Believe it or not, the other members of NATO make good equipment, train hard, and are quite competent in their own right. The US tank crews who participated undoubtedly learned a lot and are now better for the experience.

This isn't the sort of thing you can use to generalize the state of US Armored divisions.

Comment

Certainly on land Russia has a massive armoured capability. One which is not being addressed By Germany or the UK or France...Poland sounds seriously worried as do the Baltic countries, who can blame them?
                        Are Germany, UK, France, etc. assuming that US will act as a strong enough deterrent for them? It seems that constructivist theory could adequately explain that if it's the case. But it seems not to make sense. What do you think?

Comment

Are Germany, UK, France, etc. assuming that US will act as a strong enough deterrent for them? It seems that constructivist theory could adequately explain that if it's the case. But it seems not to make sense. What do you think?
                          I can only speak from a UK stand point. I think recent conflicts have distracted us from taking Russia seriously as a threat. Consequently resources have been diverted else where. I'm speaking purely in terms of Arms procurement

Comment

I can only speak from a UK stand point. I think recent conflicts have distracted us from taking Russia seriously as a threat. Consequently resources have been diverted else where. I'm speaking purely in terms of Arms procurement
                            I guess they can base their emphasis on arms procurement on Russia's strength and deterring them or they can base their emphasis on arms procurement on probability of conflict with Russia or others.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
                              I assume you're referring to the Strong Europe Tank Challenge?

The US tankers that participated came from the 7th Infantry Regiment, of the 3rd Infantry Division because they were already in Europe for Atlantic Resolve. It wasn't like we flew in a crack team from the the 1st Armored just to make the US look good.

A handful of guys placing behind the Germans or other NATO members in a 3 day exercise isn't anything to be ashamed of, nor is it indicative of the performance of the myriad Armored divisions the US fields. Believe it or not, the other members of NATO make good equipment, train hard, and are quite competent in their own right. The US tank crews who participated undoubtedly learned a lot and are now better for the experience.

This isn't the sort of thing you can use to generalize the state of US Armored divisions.
                              I think the Tank just got prioritized yet again in it 100 year history...UK Challenger 2 although limited in numbers is now getting a refit and there is only one reason for that "Russia"

Comment

I guess they can base their emphasis on arms procurement on Russia's strength and deterring them or they can base their emphasis on arms procurement on probability of conflict with Russia or others.
                                To decrease the probability of conflict you have to demonstrate intent.

Comment

Working...
                                X