No announcement yet.

Russia claims new tank invisible to radar/IR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

reasonable the one may expect it to be more visible to radars due to emission of its own radar which is supposed to detect incomming missiles and projectiles.

However, the whole new design and conceipt is a serious challenge to existing tanks. To my amature oppinion - if T14 spreads in significant numbers it will make all existing tank fleets obsolete

Comment

To give the Russians their due, I would expect a number of improvements to be present in a truly new tank design, and I imagine it really does have quite a few bells and whistles beyond what they could do with yet another modernized T-72 variant.

As far as the claims of radar signature reduction are concerned, I am somewhat conflicted. I can see how the Russians would be quite concerned about the vulnerability of their armor to air attack. Thus putting effort into making their tanks blend in with ground clutter makes quite a bit of sense and is almost certainly a much lower bar to clear than making a fighter that can hide against a background of sky. That said, the US has only just recently come up with a stealth material system for the F-35 that is truly durable enough for an aircraft that doesn't have to be constantly babied. Yet I doubt even a baked in fiber mat would hold up long to the kind of abuse a tank is expected to endure on a regular basis.

Comment

Those who know don't speak
        He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

About the tank's own radar signature, Khalitov said the T-14's hull is coated with special radar-absorbing paint and other materials and appliqués that make it difficult to be detected.
          source: http://whythef35.blogspot.nl/2013/01/f35-how-stealth-is-done.html

In short, the four most important aspects of stealth are "shape, shape, shape and materials," to quote Lockheed Martin analyst Denys Overholser, whose pioneering work resulted in the F-117 Nighthawk, the world's first operational stealth warplane.
          If the majority of stealth is determined by shape, then a special radar absorbing paint will only reduce radar signature in a minor way.
          And when you dump the heat somewhere like in a fuel tank for instance eventually you will warm up the complete tank.
          Would not be surprised if all the effects are more easily obtainable by just using the correct camouflage techniques, And maybe new camouflage nets that reduce/shield IR and radar.

This however does not mean that it will not be a succesfull tank, though.
          And I wouldn't mind riding in one for fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Garry View Post

However, the whole new design and conceipt is a serious challenge to existing tanks. To my amature oppinion - if T14 spreads in significant numbers it will make all existing tank fleets obsolete
            Long as nobody takes it into urban combat, and it looks like the unmanned turret is relatively under armored.

Comment

Originally posted by Mihais View Post
              Watching this video I cringed at how many times those two must have hit their un-helmeted heads on the bulkheads inside.

Comment

Originally posted by Skywatcher View Post
                Long as nobody takes it into urban combat, and it looks like the unmanned turret is relatively under armored.
                Which is rather odd now that I think about it. After the Russian experiences in Grozny, I would think deficiencies in urban combat would be the primary driver behind any new tank design.

Comment

Other than force fields, there is no way to have an invulnerable tank. Hell, a 155mm Howitzer will decimate any tank. MOUT is a combined arms affair. Ideally to take a building, you want a two way approach. From the top down (helo insert) and from the ground up (ground force penetration) and hopefully, before the enemy collapses the building onto your axis of approach.
                  Chimo

Comment

Originally posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
                    Which is rather odd now that I think about it. After the Russian experiences in Grozny, I would think deficiencies in urban combat would be the primary driver behind any new tank design.
                    The Russian experience in Grozny is the reason they came up with the BMPT "Terminator":

Click image for larger version

Name:	BMPT_at_Engineering_Technologies_2012_(3).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	328.5 KB
ID:	1468064
                    "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Watching the video. Is this really the first Russian tank that can neutral steer?

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
                        The Russian experience in Grozny is the reason they came up with the BMPT "Terminator":
                        But the only country operating it is Kazakhstan. The Russians are going with the T-15 Armata version

Comment

Originally posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
                          Nah, Grozny simply drove home the lesson of WWII... tanks don't belong in cities. Russian infantry isn't set up to work with tanks the way the US can. Effective coordination between tanks and infantry in an urban setting takes a hell of a lot of training you simply can't get with a 2 year enlistment. The Russian answer to cities is simple- artillery, lots and lots of artillery. This used to be followed by infantry assaults but recent actions in Georgia and the Ukraine would seem to indicate they have less desire to spend blood to seize ground when new rounds can simply make that ground totally unlivable for anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                            Watching the video. Is this really the first Russian tank that can neutral steer?
                            Shoot, the Germans could do that back in WWII with the Tiger and it's (at the time) revolutionary fully regenerative and continuous Merritt-Brown type transmission, albeit not with as much precision; Wehrmacht training films used to show Tigers and Panthers "turning on their axis".
                            "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

The T-14 seems to be closer to a Tank Destroyer with a very well armored hull (though I don't know if the APS can stop APFSDS rounds) but a high profile but lightly protected turret.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
                                Nah, Grozny simply drove home the lesson of WWII... tanks don't belong in cities. Russian infantry isn't set up to work with tanks the way the US can. Effective coordination between tanks and infantry in an urban setting takes a hell of a lot of training you simply can't get with a 2 year enlistment. The Russian answer to cities is simple- artillery, lots and lots of artillery. This used to be followed by infantry assaults but recent actions in Georgia and the Ukraine would seem to indicate they have less desire to spend blood to seize ground when new rounds can simply make that ground totally unlivable for anyone.
                                I'm not so sure about the remarks made, because not all cities are created equal.

Cities with wide open and straight roadways are different from cities riddled with narrow allyways.

So some cities will be less bad for tanks than others.

Comment

Working...
                                X