Black Lives Matter Activists Disrupt Bernie Sanders Speech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Lives Matter Activists Disrupt Bernie Sanders Speech

LMAO - lame political movement knee capping the most-Marxist of Hillary opponents. Going after a guy who did civil rights marches while Hillary was a Goldwater girl...
    http://time.com/3989917/black-lives-...nders-seattle/
    Black Lives Matter Activists Disrupt Bernie Sanders Speech

Tanya Basu @mstanyabasu

10:48 AM ET
    Bernie Sanders black lives matters seattle
    Elaine Thompson—AP Marissa Johnson, left, speaks as Mara Jacqueline Willaford stands with her and Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., stands nearby as the two women take over the microphone at a rally on Aug. 8, 2015, in downtown Seattle.
    Three protestors used the rally to mark the one year anniversary of Michael Brown's death in Ferguson

Black Lives Matter activists interrupted Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders at a rally in Seattle, stopping the politician from speaking at the first of two engagements he attended on Saturday.

The activists took over the rally at a city park, marking the anniversary of Social Security and Medicare, before Sanders could even speak, according to The Hill. Two women and a man from a Seattle chapter of Black Lives Matter shoved Sanders aside, grabbed the microphone, and addressed the crowd. After some confusion, campaign officials allowed the group to take the stage for four and a half minutes to commemorate the four and a half hours Michael Brown lay in the streets of Ferguson, Mo., last year after being shot by a police officer.

Sunday marks the one year anniversary of Brown’s death, which helped launch the Black Lives Matter movement and a national conversation to address police brutality.

“Bernie says that he’s all about the people and about grassroots,” a protester identifying herself as Marissa Johnson, told the attendees. “The biggest grassroots movement in this country right now is Black Lives Matter.”

Sanders released a statement expressing his disappointment at not being able to speak at the rally.

“I was especially disappointed because on criminal justice reform and the need to fight racism there is no other candidate for president who will fight harder than me,” he said.

This isn’t the first time the Vermont senator—has clashed with Black Lives Matter protestors; at previous rallies, Sanders has previously said that “black lives matter, white lives matter, Hispanic lives matter,” drawing criticism from the Black Lives Matter movement. Activists from the movement have also interrupted his rivals for the Democratic presidential nomination, Hillary Clinton and Martin O’Malley.

Sanders used his second rally—to a cheering crowd of 12,000 at the University of Washington campus in Seattle later on Saturday night—to address the interruption.

“Black lives, of course, matter,” he said, in an address covering criminal justice and inequality issues. “I spent 50 years of my life fighting for civil rights and dignity. But if you don’t want me to be here, that’s ok. I don’t want to outscream people.”

Correction: The original version of this story misquoted Sanders’ statement about the “Black Lives Matter” movement in a June 24 interview with NPR. He said “black lives matter, white lives matter, Hispanic lives matter.”
    Last edited by troung; 09 Aug 15,, 17:51.
    To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway
Working...
X