No announcement yet.

Germany's Refugee Crisis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could we keep the elections in the other thread?
    (not that these elections show any kind of anti-Merkel position really...)

Comment

• Originally posted by kato View Post
      Actually, German canteens, daycare centers and schools don't serve pork because it's generally considered unhealthy. And stinky. And - to be fair - unless you're buying the kind of pork that you'd only feed pigs (sic) it's also rather pricey in comparison to other options. Mostly because pork would be actually produced in Germany, not somewhere in South America. That's also the angle the CDU initiative is partially aiming at.

The canteen at my workplace actually has its own butcher still - and the only pork they're serving comes from some non-factory-bred, non-GMO-fed "naturally kept" pigs of a 200-year-old non-meat-optimized race.

Bacon and ham? Never been on any menus here. Ever. This ain't the US.

As for Bavarian sausages? Most people wouldn't eat them the way they're originally made. Real Bavarian white sausage is made from parts left over after butchering a calf. Mostly from meat sliced from the head and various parts not suitable for eating otherwise, with pork ham mixed in to provide the fat. Most Prussians suspect there's also veal brain matter involved, but that's actually only simulated using other parts and spices.

Obviously never had a pulled pork sandwich. While I am not a big fan of heavy sandwiches I have to admit these do taste great and smell great.

Comment

Could we keep the elections in the other thread?
        of course everybody knows the rise of AfD is all because of brexit. those english snobs, how dare they

Comment

• So, pork an bacon are very rare if not nonexistent in German cuisine?

Good thing is the immigrants like potatoes or kato woyld be having a hard time explaining how they don't eat them.
          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doktor View Post
            So, pork an bacon are very rare if not nonexistent in German cuisine?

Good thing is the immigrants like potatoes or kato woyld be having a hard time explaining how they don't eat them.
            i'm still waiting for him to explain how german just suddenly hate drinking beer because it not good for your health.

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
              Obviously never had a pulled pork sandwich.
              Pulled pork is something mostly sold by clubhouses of hiking associations in nature parks here. Seriously.

Many also consider it a last-ditch attempt by the pork industry to sell their meat...

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
              In Swabia potatoes aren't considered a side dish but a vegetable. If you put up some meal with potatoes you'll get asked "so, where's the pasta?".

Originally posted by drhuy View Post
              i'm still waiting for him to explain how german just suddenly hate drinking beer because it not good for your health.
              Compared to other countries Germans don't really drink much. They'll get used to alcohol abuse along the Balkan route...

Comment

Could we keep the elections in the other thread?
                These elections are because of the refugee crisis , thats why I posted it here , oh by the way , congratulations on your promotion to mod , go and celebrate with a bratty and a beer mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm .

Comment

• The elections "are" because the last elections were five years ago :grump:

Comment

Pulled pork is something mostly sold by clubhouses of hiking associations in nature parks here. Seriously.

Many also consider it a last-ditch attempt by the pork industry to sell their meat...

In Swabia potatoes aren't considered a side dish but a vegetable. If you put up some meal with potatoes you'll get asked "so, where's the pasta?".

Compared to other countries Germans don't really drink much. They'll get used to alcohol abuse along the Balkan route...
                    Oh my God Germany has gone PC big time. I'm into healthy food. I don't eat much processed food at all including sugars, saturated fats and HFCS. However, don't tell me pork is bad. Very few foods are bad when eaten once in awhile. Pizza a few times a year, fine. Chocolate sundae a few times a year, fine. Great BBQ pork ribs a few times a year, fine. Of course Germany doesn't do BBQ.

As for Germans don't drink that much well that must have changed since I saw German beer gardens in 1976. They were always packed. One of my fondest memories of my 3 months in Europe, back in 1976, was visiting Carlsberg Brewery in Copenhagen. Large tour group with three Americans and all the rest Germans. Drink as much as you want which I know we paid the price for given the alcohol content. What else I remember are the dozens of Germans singing songs for the two hours while drinking beer. Yeow. If what you say is true then Germans are truly no fun anymore. At least compared to 1976. I'd definitely ask tankie out for a beer but I guess would probably need to leave you home...

Comment

• I might visit Germany near the end of this year. Any cities I should avoid?
                      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Oh my God Germany has gone PC big time.
                        Just cultural. No rancher is going to survive selling horse meat to the entire North American market.
                        Chimo

Comment

Oh my God Germany has gone PC big time.
                          The "unhealthy, stinky pork" line comes from my uncle. Who raised pigs for fifty years and got into that business in the late 40s.

Actually, with that generation, you always have some pecularities when it comes to food. Most won't touch rabbit meat for example, but have no problem with horse meat. And such new-fangled things as "doggy bags" in restaurants, which have been starting over here too, are openly derided. Comes from the postwar situation to a large extend.

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                          I'd definitely ask tankie out for a beer but I guess would probably need to leave you home...
                          I'm Swabian by roots. We drink wine. My last beer binge was when I was 22. I distinctly remember when that was because on the way home I vomited into a one-man dugout the US Army had just dug that evening for a guard post near my home about a week after 9/11 and that they hadn't gotten to putting the sandbags around yet...

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                          I might visit Germany near the end of this year. Any cities I should avoid?
                          Depends on what you would want to avoid.
                          Last edited by kato; 14 Mar 16,, 19:32.

Comment

• Im with ya there tbm fan , woo hoo , ohhhhh yes .

Comment

I'm Swabian by roots. We drink wine. My last beer binge was when I was 22. I distinctly remember when that was because on the way home I vomited into a one-man dugout the US Army had just dug that evening for a guard post near my home about a week after 9/11 and that they hadn't gotten to putting the sandbags around yet...

I see. Well I remember drinking wine from vineyards along the Rhine. Yet if I am going to enjoy myself it will more likely happen in a bar, a pub, or a beer garden and not a wine bar. Hard to say yes to another pint when drinking wine. Just sayin...

Comment

its official folks, no more oktoberfest (due to health reason, not to avoid offending some particular vulnerable groups)

Comment

Working...
                                X