Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Didn't get a chance to post here due to the unpleasantness.

The Brigadier was one of the most interesting people I have ever met. Intelligent, well read & in turns friendly & abrasive, but never in a way that made you dislike him for long. Glad I got the chance to spend some time in his company. Heaven just got that bit more interesting.

RIP Sir.
    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

i am very sorry to hear this...

RIP. :( :(
      Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none; be able for thine enemy rather in power than use; and keep thy friend under thine own life's key; be checked for silence, but never taxed for speech.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	11391563_876587962422178_4663114906393938166_n.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	1463495

RIP Sir,,,stand down , your duty done .

Comment

A man of immense courage and conviction, we will never again see his equal.
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

A scotch to you tonight, Sir, my fellow bellycrawler.

I do miss you, Sir.
            Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 01 Nov 15,, 06:56.
            Chimo

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
              A scotch to you tonight, Sir, my fellow bellycrawler.

I do miss you, Sir.
              Well stated, Sir!
              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
              Mark Twain

Comment

He was indeed a thoroughly well read gentleman and a very proud officer indeed!
                sigpicAnd on the sixth day, God created the Field Artillery...

Comment

I tried to find my own post on this thread but cannot find it, so let me recount my meeting with him.

It was Dec 2008, following the Mumbai incident. I had previously emailed him and he agreed to meet. I called the number one evening and asked if I could speak to Saibal Chakraborty ( an error on my part, I gave the name of an acquaintance rather than the Brigs). A gruff voice corrected me : "this is Saibal Raychaudhuri, not Chakraborty". Caught a bit off guard, I introduced myself and asked if we could meet. He told me that I could come down at his place (he gave me the directions) and "we can do lunch".

On the appointed date, I put on the only freshly laundered shirt and trousers I had (somehow I felt it would be better than if I turned up in t-shirts and jeans) and went off to his house in South Calcutta.

He was cordial from the start, unlike his gruff self on the phone. Physically he was average, on the thin side, but he carried himself ramrod straight, as if on a parade ground. His wife was extremely nice and welcoming, something like an meeting a favorite nephew after many days.

I was a bit reserved at first, but soon I found myself arguing vigorously with him like I had done many times on WAB. He berated me for not bringing my wife along and told me (jokingly) that I had failed to meet the test of an officer.

The "lunch" that I was supposed to do turned out to be another awesome experience. The three of us went to the Officer's Club in Fort William Calcutta, hallowed ground for military officers. I was real glad that I decided to dress "properly". There were a lot of other retired officers around and there was a bit if good natured back and forth about which regiment they were in. Brig Ray took particular pleasure in jibing with ex-Artillery officers.

Overall, I was very glad that I took the opportunity to get in touch with him and meeting him. We kept in touch on email and he was for some time trying to get his book of military anecdotes published.

Long story, but will finish with this : Dear Sir, thanks for giving us the pleasure of knowing you.
                  "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

Rest in Peace, Ray.
                    When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow. - Anais Nin

Comment

I'm sorry your return post is on this thread. He was such a Good Man though.
                      Chimo

Comment

I do know Ray was writing his autobiography and was talking to Dave Lukins about it a lot , I sincerely hope he finished it before his and Daves demise

RIP Ray and Dave , Dave who I miss terribly and with heavy heart .

My mate and fine MAN Dave , happier times .

Click image for larger version

Name:	10636192_582201401885500_1311346990503107634_n.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	1469215

Comment

I miss them both enormously.
                          In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                            I miss them both enormously.
                            +1.
                            No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

they were both great people and good friends.

i learned a lot from them.

Rest In Peace Ray & Dave

i hereby want to repeat to create a "Hall Of Honor" thread for members like Dave & ray who were part of the heart and soul of this great forum.
                              Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none; be able for thine enemy rather in power than use; and keep thy friend under thine own life's key; be checked for silence, but never taxed for speech.

Comment

Working...
                              X