Marines killed in Chattanooga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marines killed in Chattanooga

The board is back up and time to talk about things. Here is one I just saw and as I started reading it I wondered if the shooter had an Arabic name before I ever got to it. When I did I thought oh boy this is going to present problems with people reacting to others with similar looking names. Then I thought of Trump...

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/16/us/ten...ing/index.html

(CNN)Four Marines were killed when a gunman attacked two military sites in Chattanooga, Tennessee, on Thursday, the U.S. Navy said.

The suspected shooter, 24-year-old Mohammod Youssuf Abdulazeez, is also dead, the FBI said.
    Investigators "have not determined whether it was an act of terrorism or whether it was a criminal act," Ed Reinhold, FBI special agent in charge, told reporters. "We are looking at every possible avenue, whether it was terrorism -- whether it was domestic, international -- or whether it was a simple, criminal act."
    U.S. Attorney Bill Killian earlier told reporters that authorities were treating the shooting as an "act of domestic terrorism."
    The shootings unfolded at two sites over 30 minutes, Reinhold said.
    The suspected gunman started spraying bullets at the glass doors of a strip mall military recruiting center around 10:45 a.m. ET, witnesses said.
    From there, he headed to another location more than seven miles away, an operational support center operated by the U.S. Navy.
    That's where the four victims and the gunman were killed, Reinhold said.
    At least three people were injured, officials said, including a police officer and a military service member.
    The officer, who was injured when he was shot in the ankle, has been treated at the hospital, Chattanooga Mayor Andy Berke said. A military service member was also among the wounded, the Defense Department said.
    'It was very loud and very fast'

"Today was a nightmare for the city of Chattanooga. ... We had someone viciously attack, at two different locations, people who proudly serve our country," Berke said.
    Gina Mule, a server at a restaurant, said she saw a man who'd been in a silver convertible Mustang, firing a "high-powered rifle" at the recruiting offices at about 10:50 a.m.
    She said she first heard "Pow, pow, pow!" She then went to a window, through which she said she saw the man firing shots.
    "I don't know how many shots he fired, but it was a lot," she said.

Shootings were reported Thursday at a naval reserve center and a military recuiting center in Chattanooga, Tennessee.
    EXPAND IMAGE

A second witness, April Grimmett, said she was working at a hair salon near the recruiting center when she looked out a window and saw a man ducking in between cars.
    "Shortly after that, we heard the (shots). It was very loud and very fast," Grimmett said, without saying what happened to the man she had seen.
    A photo that she took shows glass doors damaged by the gunfire.

April Grimmett says she took this photo showing damage to glass at the military recruiting center on Lee Highway in Chattanooga.
    EXPAND IMAGE

"I could not believe how many bullet holes were in that door. It was insane," she said.
    Fred Wright, a salesman at a nearby auto parts store, told CNN that after he heard gunshots, three people ran into the shop, hollering they thought "someone was shooting at them."
    Wright said he called 911.
    "Sounded like it was 30, 40 shots to me," Wright said, adding that he never saw a shooter.

"Suspect ID'd as Muhammad Youssef Abdulazeez, a naturalized U.S. citizen from Kuwait"
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Very sad day. RIP.

Comment

This is the act of a true coward.
        "We are all special cases." - Camus

Comment

What ticks me off is the White House Flag was not at half staff... :-(

Comment

There is a huge irony to me that among the very few American citizens not entitled to carry a gun on US soil include US military personnel.
            In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Sad incident. RIP.

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
              There is a huge irony to me that among the very few American citizens not entitled to carry a gun on US soil include US military personnel.
              During service or after retirement and why?
              Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                Sad incident. RIP.

During service or after retirement and why?
                During service as I understand, something brought in by a Bill Clinton, God knows why.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                  During service as I understand, something brought in by a Bill Clinton, God knows why.
                  DOD Directive 5210.56 was instituted under Bush Sr, Not Clinton.

And there were armed Marines at the reserve center. One of them engaged the shooter.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/22/us/cha...ing/index.html

partial quote below

He'd shot at a military recruitment center, drove off, and rammed the gates of a Navy reserve center. A service member inside the facility saw the threat posed by the heavily armed Mohammad Abdulazeez and opened fire.

But tragically, that didn't stop Abdulazeez.

Rather, Abdulazeez forced his way into the Navy building in Chattanooga, Tennessee, and killed one service member, FBI Special Agent in Charge Ed Reinhold said Wednesday. He continued his rampage, exiting through the back, and fatally shooting four more. Then he tried to get inside again.

He didn't make it in this time -- he was shot by one of the Chattanooga police officers who confronted him.

The whole episode lasted no more than five minutes. Long enough for four Marines and one Navy sailor to be fatally wounded -- as was Abdulazeez.

"We are incredibly thankful for the bravery of the responding police officers," said U.S. Marine Maj. Gen. Paul W. Brier. "Their immediate actions that day saved lives."

They weren't the only ones who acted heroically last Thursday, July 16, according to Brier. He also lauded the service members -- all but two, apparently, weren't armed -- who risked their lives to help others and stop the carnage.

"I can tell you that our Marines reacted the way you would expect," the major general said. "Rapidly going from room to room, they got their fellow Marines to safety.

"Once they had gotten to safety, some willingly ran back into the fight."

While authorities didn't offer much Wednesday on Abdulazeez's motive, they did shed new details on what he did and how others -- military service members and police alike -- responded.

He started at a military recruitment center on Lee Hwy in Chattanooga. From inside a rented silver Mustang, Abdulazeez opened fire and wounded one recruiter there before speeding off.

Chattanooga police were soon on his tail, but not on his bumper, Reinhold said. Thus, they weren't able to stop him before he drove about seven miles and through the gates of the Navy operations support center on Amnicola Hwy.

Abdulazeez emerged from the car with "an assault rifle, a handgun and numerous magazines of ammunition," according to the FBI agent.

"A service member from inside the facility observed him and opened fire on him, firing several rounds," Reinhold said. "The shooter then responded by shooting into the building."

Once inside, Abdulazeez managed to kill one service member. (It was not immediately clear if that person killed was the same one who'd fired at him.) He then made his way to a gated motor-pool area, where he fatally shot two others, according to Reinhold.

Abdulazeez killed two more service members before apparently trying to head back inside. Early information suggests that one gun was used to kill all five military personnel, ruling out the possibility of friendly fire.

"At (that) point, he was engaged by the Chattanooga Police Department," Reinhold said. Police "returned fire and neutralized the shooter."

By doing so, the FBI agent added, the police "doubtlessly saved numerous lives."
                  Last edited by Gun Grape; 23 Jul 15,, 03:48.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                    DOD Directive 5210.56 was instituted under Bush Sr, Not Clinton.

And there were armed Marines at the reserve center. One of them engaged the shooter.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/22/us/cha...ing/index.html

partial quote below
                    Oop, there's another myth gone. I'd taken it as read when it was stated over and over during the Fort Hood and Washington Navy yard shootings that the bases? were disarmed by Clinton.

Leibniz

Comment

Doesn't make sense to me. I mean, I am from a country with zero gun rights, but with GWOT and other terrorist groups running around in the US, what's the rationale of not allowing soldiers to be ready to fight for the security of their perimeter?
                      All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
                      -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Triple C View Post
                        Doesn't make sense to me. I mean, I am from a country with zero gun rights, but with GWOT and other terrorist groups running around in the US, what's the rationale of not allowing soldiers to be ready to fight for the security of their perimeter?
                        Do keep in mind that there was in fact at least one armed service member present who engaged the shooter prior to his neutralization by police.

The US has always been wary of keeping armed soldiers garrisoned at home, and having soldiers carry out police functions domestically is a dangerous precedent that can start on the path towards praetorian guards as kingmakers. The doctrine of civilian control of the military is a central tenant of the US that is taken seriously.

Another issue is that most soldiers aren't highly trained "tip of the spear" types who shoot on a daily basis. As a matter of fact, it is probably a safe bet that the average civilian CCW holder is more proficient with firearms than the average member of the military. Accidents, negligence, and suicide would likely do more damage to the military than lone wolf terrorist types if service members were armed all the time.

Comment

Very true Steve, but the main reason is that generally more armed service men generally means more accidental shootings, shootings between feuding service members and suicides. I don't think the president has anything to do with it, just the assessment of the military leadership of what the service members will do with more firearms available to them and I'm reasonably sure without researching it that it varies from generation to generation. In the 80's, I had first hand knowledge of 2 accidental shootings, 1 intentional shooting and 1 suicide and 2nd hand knowledge of others. Perhaps now though the risk benefit is starting to tip towards taking more risk. We had terrorism in the 80's but typically overseas and stateside the greater risk was crime- something you could avoid with some common sense. Maybe having a certification program that a service member can go thru and be allowed to carry a firearm as long as they stay current in it?

Comment

Here we go...

Navy Recruiter shoots himself in the leg after bringing personal weapon to work.

Civilian guards ordered to leave shopping center after one accidentally fires rifle.

He was holding his rifle outside the recruitment center when someone asked if he could take a look at it. Reed agreed, and while he was trying to clear the ammunition from the weapon, he accidentally fired one shot into the asphalt pavement.
                            Reed was convicted of the same offense in 2013, and was fined $50, court records show.
                            And my favorite
                            "It is what it is"
                            Last edited by SteveDaPirate; 24 Jul 15,, 17:06.

Comment

Working...
                            X