All hands prepare to get underway!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All hands prepare to get underway!

Since the site appears to have been refloated, I thought we here in the Naval area should try and get the crew back together!

So, all hands report back from liberty!

The site was in dry dock.
    "We are all special cases." - Camus

Comment

Bravo zulu!!!!
      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
      Mark Twain

Comment

Pics please!!! Hell, Youtube the whole freaking thing!!!!! Inches by inches!!!
        Chimo

Comment

She's crossed the sill and back in the hands of the CO. Or, er, the members.

Comment

I guess this means I can wake up now...
            Attached Files

Comment

Present
              RIP Charles "Bob" Spence. 1936-2014.

Comment

I'm here, I'll slowly get the SLATER thread updated with the goings on's these past months! By the way, I have also graduated with first associates degree back in May (part of why I was not posting for a while)

Comment

Naaahhh TBM, at our age you have to catch as many zzz's as you can, when you can!

and yet .....since the site went dead in the water, I managed to screw up my sleeping habits altogether! I have taken on a new business that just put me DesertSWO's old alma mater!
                  Though I have put myself a little bit closer to my duty station (Slater), I now have a direct close up view of where USS JFK will be berthed in about a year or so! I will however remain a member of Slater's vet crew! As tempting as a carrier is (a super carrier that is) my loyalties and heart will remain with a DE! I now am greeted every morning with "call to colors" and then the "anthem" and then every evening at sunset with "evening retire colors"! I would say it brings me back...but..... there's one thing that has me befuddled! The morning bugle call is the one you hear at post time at the race track???:confu: and the evening call is not taps!!! What the heack has happened to our Navy???
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	NAVSTA Newport.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	1463389

Comment

Not to change the subject Doc but is the JFK still a go? They don't update their website so I haven't seen anything in awhile.
                    RIP Charles "Bob" Spence. 1936-2014.

Comment

She is still a go!
                      The RIAHOF that is the only group that remained after phase two is now only awaiting final approval from DOD and the Navy on the access and parking plan. After all the details have been worked out on that they will enter the 3rd and final phase that precedes receiving the ship. That is the completion of meeting all the funding requirements. I am sure Rusty knows all about all of it. They started out with a pretty good head start in that area as they inherited all the previous work accomplished by the Saratoga group and that included a pretty substantial amount of funds and commitments! When you factor in all the support and influence from the likes of George H.W. Bush, the Kennedy family, RI politicians and a plethora of others, I think the likelihood is she will be in Newport in the future! Actually, Pier 2 (the one she is outlined next to) is in Middletown, RI and that community is 200% behind it!
                      It better! as I am counting on being able to look out my window any time I want and enjoy the view!
                      Last edited by SlaterDoc; 17 Jul 15,, 04:55. Reason: OKAY! So my speling is geting wurse!

Comment

Originally posted by SlaterDoc View Post
                        there's one thing that has me befuddled! The morning bugle call is the one you hear at post time at the race track???:confu: and the evening call is not taps!!! What the heack has happened to our Navy???
                        Nothing has happened to the Navy. Taps never was played when lowering the flag.

The Bugle call for morning colors is "To the Colors" the bugle call for evening colors is "Retreat"

(edit) Taps is played at 2200

Comment

Howdy All.. and welcome back!!

Comment

(Bosuns Pipe) "QUATERS QUATERS ALL HANDS TO QUATERS...MUSTER, INSTRUCTION AND INSPECTION...QUATERS"

"MAIN CONTROL STAND BY TO ANSWER ALL BELLS TAKE IN ALL LINES"!
                            Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                              Nothing has happened to the Navy. Taps never was played when lowering the flag.

The Bugle call for morning colors is "To the Colors" the bugle call for evening colors is "Retreat"

(edit) Taps is played at 2200
                              To us, Flag lowered to half staff for "Eternal Father" as it plays, Then raised again and Evening Colors follows as it comes down. And Always on time.
                              Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Working...
                              X