Forum Restored!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Monash View Post
    So, in light of what seems to be WABs eventual fall. Has consideration ever been given to a back-up plan? For instance is there a suitable alternate forum out there that Wabers might consider moving to en-mass by prior discussion/agreement when the day finally comes that WAB goes dark?
    It's been considered, yeah. We've got the technical know-how in Astralis and Ironduke, but what we don't have is the money.

Ironically, that's not the biggest problem because theoretically we would be able to put together the cash somehow and start a new board right now.

The problem is that such an endeavor would be pointless unless we could transfer all or most of of our post history to the new board.

But we can't do that without Rochen. Who isn't talking to us.

So now we're stuck waiting for the board to die (again).

Bit of a soup sandwich, to say the least.
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by DOR View Post
      Anyone know what this is all about?

Not Acceptable

An appropriate representation of the requested resource could not be found on this server.

Additionally, a 406 Not Acceptable error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
      Saw this the other day when i tried to edit a post. Started about a week back. Odd.

First time i've ever seen a 406 on this board. Appears some times. Not consistent.

So i do a copy of the post before submitting the post.

If it happens i try to post again and paste the message in and hit the save.

Since it isn't consistent the board accepts it.
      Last edited by Double Edge; 03 Aug 20,, 09:20.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
        It's been considered, yeah. We've got the technical know-how in Astralis and Ironduke, but what we don't have is the money.

Ironically, that's not the biggest problem because theoretically we would be able to put together the cash somehow and start a new board right now.

The problem is that such an endeavor would be pointless unless we could transfer all or most of of our post history to the new board.

So now we're stuck waiting for the board to die (again).

Bit of a soup sandwich, to say the least.
        I'd be happy to contribute financially to but as you pointed put we'd still use all of WAB's post history from the great and good all the way through to the laughably stupid and everything in between.

So if people want to stay in touch and debate/share info it might come down to holding a discussion and then a vote on which other forum out there we might all consider migrating to.
        If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

Pardon my ignorance but why is that? Also WTH is this person anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
            Pardon my ignorance but why is that? Also WTH is this person anyway?
            Rochen is the web-hosting company that has hosted the board since the beginning.

As for the "why", see here
            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by Monash View Post
              I'd be happy to contribute financially to but as you pointed put we'd still use all of WAB's post history from the great and good all the way through to the laughably stupid and everything in between.

So if people want to stay in touch and debate/share info it might come down to holding a discussion and then a vote on which other forum out there we might all consider migrating to.
              It's certainly a good idea but as long as the current board is operational, people will likely stay here and not migrate to the new one.

Comment

It's certainly a good idea but as long as the current board is operational, people will likely stay here and not migrate to the new one.
                Yes, as far as I was concerned it would happen only if/when the WAB went dark, not before. Problem is though given Rochen's 'lack of interest' if WAB gets turned off it will be without notice. In which case we'll try to log in one day and ... nothing.

Of course then it will be too late to come to a consensus re; an alternate forum. Hence the idea of raising alternatives now while we can.
                Last edited by Monash; 07 Aug 20,, 08:37.
                If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

Is there an alternative contact point in such an event. They would have to post a message saying where to go.

Comment

Maybe we need a back-up communications (only) page on Facebook.

Wabbits ... anyone?
                    Trust me?
                    I'm an economist!

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                      Is there an alternative contact point in such an event. They would have to post a message saying where to go.

Originally posted by DOR View Post
                      Maybe we need a back-up communications (only) page on Facebook.

Wabbits ... anyone?
                      We do have one. You can find it here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/893222457548991/

Comment

• Originally posted by Monash View Post
                        Yes, as far as I was concerned it would happen only if/when the WAB went dark, not before. Problem is though given Rochen's 'lack of interest' if WAB gets turned off it will be without notice. In which case we'll try to log in one day and ... nothing.

Of course then it will be too late to come to a consensus re; an alternate forum. Hence the idea of raising alternatives now while we can.
                        There's a Facebook group that I started, the link is in my post above and I'll start an alternative WAB thread and see what kind of input we get.

Comment

• Is facebook conducive to the kind of discussion we have here ?

A forum i think is unmatched for that even if its twenty year old tech compared to what social media has to offer.

As a notice board social media is fine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                            Is facebook conducive to the kind of discussion we have here ?

A forum i think is unmatched for that even if its twenty year old tech compared to what social media has to offer.

As a notice board social media is fine.
                            I don't think of the Facebook page as an alternative to this board, but rather as a place to go to find out what's going on with this board, when this board is not available. If we have to migrate, that's the place to post the new address.
                            Trust me?
                            I'm an economist!

Comment

• Works for me

But can you set up that facebook page so its visible without having to join facebook first ?
                              Last edited by Double Edge; 09 Aug 20,, 21:47.

Comment

• Originally posted by DOR View Post
                                I don't think of the Facebook page as an alternative to this board, but rather as a place to go to find out what's going on with this board, when this board is not available. If we have to migrate, that's the place to post the new address.
                                Nailed it. It's a rally point, nothing more.

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                                Works for me

But can you set up that facebook page so its visible without having to join facebook first ?
                                I don't think that's possible. Facebook doesn't work that way.

Comment

Working...
                                X