Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
Results 91 to 102 of 102

Thread: Forum Restored!

  1. #91
    Global Moderator
    Comrade Commissar
    TopHatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    03 Sep 03
    Posts
    17,620
    Quote Originally Posted by Monash View Post
    So, in light of what seems to be WABs eventual fall. Has consideration ever been given to a back-up plan? For instance is there a suitable alternate forum out there that Wabers might consider moving to en-mass by prior discussion/agreement when the day finally comes that WAB goes dark?
    It's been considered, yeah. We've got the technical know-how in Astralis and Ironduke, but what we don't have is the money.

    Ironically, that's not the biggest problem because theoretically we would be able to put together the cash somehow and start a new board right now.

    The problem is that such an endeavor would be pointless unless we could transfer all or most of of our post history to the new board.

    But we can't do that without Rochen. Who isn't talking to us.

    So now we're stuck waiting for the board to die (again).

    Bit of a soup sandwich, to say the least.
    TwentyFiveFortyFive

  2. #92
    Turbanator Senior Contributor Double Edge's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Sep 10
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    11,441
    Quote Originally Posted by DOR View Post
    Anyone know what this is all about?


    Not Acceptable

    An appropriate representation of the requested resource could not be found on this server.

    Additionally, a 406 Not Acceptable error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
    Saw this the other day when i tried to edit a post. Started about a week back. Odd.

    First time i've ever seen a 406 on this board. Appears some times. Not consistent.

    So i do a copy of the post before submitting the post.

    If it happens i try to post again and paste the message in and hit the save.

    Since it isn't consistent the board accepts it.
    Last edited by Double Edge; 03 Aug 20, at 09:20.

  3. #93
    Senior Contributor Monash's Avatar
    Join Date
    01 Mar 10
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,661
    Quote Originally Posted by TopHatter View Post
    It's been considered, yeah. We've got the technical know-how in Astralis and Ironduke, but what we don't have is the money.

    Ironically, that's not the biggest problem because theoretically we would be able to put together the cash somehow and start a new board right now.

    The problem is that such an endeavor would be pointless unless we could transfer all or most of of our post history to the new board.

    But we can't do that without Rochen. Who isn't talking to us.

    So now we're stuck waiting for the board to die (again).

    Bit of a soup sandwich, to say the least.
    I'd be happy to contribute financially to but as you pointed put we'd still use all of WAB's post history from the great and good all the way through to the laughably stupid and everything in between.

    So if people want to stay in touch and debate/share info it might come down to holding a discussion and then a vote on which other forum out there we might all consider migrating to.
    If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

  4. #94
    Defense ProfessionalSenior Contributor tbm3fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    01 Nov 09
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    4,263
    Quote Originally Posted by TopHatter View Post

    But we can't do that without Rochen. Who isn't talking to us.
    Pardon my ignorance but why is that? Also WTH is this person anyway?

  5. #95
    Global Moderator
    Comrade Commissar
    TopHatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    03 Sep 03
    Posts
    17,620
    Quote Originally Posted by tbm3fan View Post
    Pardon my ignorance but why is that? Also WTH is this person anyway?
    Rochen is the web-hosting company that has hosted the board since the beginning.

    As for the "why", see here
    TwentyFiveFortyFive

  6. #96
    Global Moderator
    Comrade Commissar
    TopHatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    03 Sep 03
    Posts
    17,620
    Quote Originally Posted by Monash View Post
    I'd be happy to contribute financially to but as you pointed put we'd still use all of WAB's post history from the great and good all the way through to the laughably stupid and everything in between.

    So if people want to stay in touch and debate/share info it might come down to holding a discussion and then a vote on which other forum out there we might all consider migrating to.
    It's certainly a good idea but as long as the current board is operational, people will likely stay here and not migrate to the new one.
    TwentyFiveFortyFive

  7. #97
    Senior Contributor Monash's Avatar
    Join Date
    01 Mar 10
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,661
    Quote Originally Posted by TopHatter View Post
    It's certainly a good idea but as long as the current board is operational, people will likely stay here and not migrate to the new one.
    Yes, as far as I was concerned it would happen only if/when the WAB went dark, not before. Problem is though given Rochen's 'lack of interest' if WAB gets turned off it will be without notice. In which case we'll try to log in one day and ... nothing.

    Of course then it will be too late to come to a consensus re; an alternate forum. Hence the idea of raising alternatives now while we can.
    Last edited by Monash; 07 Aug 20, at 08:37.
    If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

  8. #98
    Turbanator Senior Contributor Double Edge's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Sep 10
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    11,441
    Is there an alternative contact point in such an event. They would have to post a message saying where to go.

  9. #99
    Senior Contributor DOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    08 Mar 11
    Location
    Orlando, Florida, USA
    Posts
    3,402
    Maybe we need a back-up communications (only) page on Facebook.

    Wabbits ... anyone?
    Trust me?
    I'm an economist!

  10. #100
    Global Moderator
    Comrade Commissar
    TopHatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    03 Sep 03
    Posts
    17,620
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Edge View Post
    Is there an alternative contact point in such an event. They would have to post a message saying where to go.


    Quote Originally Posted by DOR View Post
    Maybe we need a back-up communications (only) page on Facebook.

    Wabbits ... anyone?
    We do have one. You can find it here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/893222457548991/
    TwentyFiveFortyFive

  11. #101
    Global Moderator
    Comrade Commissar
    TopHatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    03 Sep 03
    Posts
    17,620
    Quote Originally Posted by Monash View Post
    Yes, as far as I was concerned it would happen only if/when the WAB went dark, not before. Problem is though given Rochen's 'lack of interest' if WAB gets turned off it will be without notice. In which case we'll try to log in one day and ... nothing.

    Of course then it will be too late to come to a consensus re; an alternate forum. Hence the idea of raising alternatives now while we can.
    There's a Facebook group that I started, the link is in my post above and I'll start an alternative WAB thread and see what kind of input we get.
    TwentyFiveFortyFive

  12. #102
    Turbanator Senior Contributor Double Edge's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Sep 10
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    11,441
    Is facebook conducive to the kind of discussion we have here ?

    A forum i think is unmatched for that even if its twenty year old tech compared to what social media has to offer.

    As a notice board social media is fine.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Russian navy base in Vietnam may be restored
    By hanswu25 in forum Europe and Russia
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01 Nov 11,, 00:35

Share this thread with friends:

Share this thread with friends:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •