Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
    It was plain old money power.
    My parents used to say that the leaving of the anglo indians reduced real estate prices.
    These guys had a lot of money and were always ready to pay more. People behaved short shortsightedly and greedily as usual.
    Before you know it its suddenly not your place anymore.
    Once they were significant in numbers they would coordinate and slowly buy up an entire area by restricting other buyers and paying a bit more to sweeten the deal.
    The outright hinting and harassment began only in the 2000s when they had completely taken over.
    I get it. Greed is something very tough to do away with. Back home, I had an issue with a portion of my farm-land and I had to use the law to serve a court notice to get them evicted. Thankfully, my cousin was a lawyer then (Judicial Magistrate now). Hindus have stopped selling lands to Muslims and vice-versa. The tribals have stopped selling lands to non-tribals. Seems, people like living in clusters of their own, expecting the coming doom.
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by kuku View Post
      Most parts of India I've been to are like that, divisions will move from religion to caste or some other.
      I have worked and lived in quite some parts of India, and my personal opinion and of what I've seen in Chennai would probably beat every other place. The discrimination is not covert at all, and many times it's overt. Hindus/Muslims/Christians all discriminate each other. When done, upper castes discriminate against the SCs, the Scs in turn discriminate against the OBCs. Having said that, I found some Tamils from every sphere(UC, SC, OBC or a Muslim) to be quite progressive and mature. Fun to hang around with.
      Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
        Seems, people like living in clusters of their own, expecting the coming doom.
        Been going on since the treaty of westphalia.

Comment

The Treaty of Westphalia

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
          Been going on since the treaty of westphalia.
          Sorry, couldn't resist

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

Working...
          X