USS Iowa BB-61 News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USS Iowa BB-61 News

Congratulations to Stan Sato for becoming the first Volunteer of the Quarter.
    Stan has become known as Dr. Wood for his work to replace the old Teak and Doug fur decking.
    On behalf of the Board of Directors of the the USS Iowa I want to say thanks to Stan for his commitment and selfless dedication to the Battleship we all hold so dear.

Attached Files
    Craig Johnson

Stan certainly deserves this honor. As a BATTLESHIP man, he looks the part, dresses for the part, acts the part, works his part with perfection and ALWAYS has a broad smile to greet you with.

Oh, by the way Craig: It's Douglas FIR, with the "I" vowel, not a "u". But I guess you gotta be a wood butcher to know anyway.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Shore power update:

Well the conduit is in and the pad for the transformer and switching equipment is down. We should be able to flip the switch for shore power the first of August.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SP1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1468777

Name:	SP2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	1468779

Name:	SP3.jpg
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	1468780
      Craig Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Battleship IOWA View Post
        Shore power update:
        Where are you obtaining your power currently? (no pun intended)
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
          Where are you obtaining your power currently? (no pun intended)
          The Iowa has been on diesel generator power from the first day it docked in L.A. Harbor in 2012.
          Like I mentioned in a previous post we are under an abatement order from the AQMD for our excessive particulate matter emissions in the L.A. Harbor and are under constant threat of being shut down.
          In fact we are now shutting off power on slow days so we can have enough power to run our "Camp Battleship" overnight program.
          As far as the overnight program we had 1,676 quests Q1 of 2016 compared to 948 Q1 2015 an increase of 76.8%.
          Craig Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Battleship IOWA View Post
            The Iowa has been on diesel generator power from the first day it docked in L.A. Harbor in 2012.
            Wow! Thank god for the shore power then.
            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
              Wow! Thank god for the shore power then.
              Well, we are still waiting on city/county inspections and permissions to switch to shore power. But I'm also trying to tie in some favors. You see, my Son-in-Law works for DWP that services San Pedro. He is already registered as a Volunteer electrician on the Iowa. Often he has worked on San Pedro power lines within sight of the Battleship.

I'm hoping that when permission is granted to switch over to shore power, they "order" the father of my 4 grandchildren to make the last inspection of the power panel down on 3rd deck and then throw the switch.

Of course if that ever comes to pass, my whole family will be on board.

Comment

Iow's not using it's own backup generators, is it? I can't imagine it would be sine I'm sure it would involve filling some tanks, uncovering sea chests, etc.
                "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
                -General George Patton Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Michigan_Guy View Post
                  Iow's not using it's own backup generators, is it? I can't imagine it would be sine I'm sure it would involve filling some tanks, uncovering sea chests, etc.
                  The ship's emergency diesel generators do not need to open seachests for salt water cooling. They do have cross-over valve and piping systems to use fresh water from the pier.

Yes, the channel Iowa is in is SEA WATER, not fresh water as some people thought. But it's a logical thought because of the close proximity to the Los Angeles River (which rarely has any water in it) and the Cerritos wetlands in Wilmington which is basically a briney swamp.

So we want to keep salt water OUT of the ship's system altogether.

Comment

The USS Iowa has added a new exhibit in our museum space to tell the story of the 1989 Turret 2 explosion but also tell the story of other Battleships that had similar accidents and explains the transition from breach loading to bag guns to NO big guns, but the rail gun might be a comeback.

Name:	M13.jpg
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	1468801Click image for larger version

Name:	M15.jpg
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	1468802Click image for larger version

Name:	M11.jpg
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	1468803Click image for larger version

Name:	M6.jpg
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	1468804

Name:	IMG_2957.jpg
Size:	909.6 KB
ID:	1468805
                    Craig Johnson

Comment

These pieces where removed from Turret #2 and now help tell the story of that day.

Name:	M12.jpg
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	1468806Click image for larger version

Name:	M10.jpg
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1468807Click image for larger version

Name:	M14.jpg
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	1468808
                      Craig Johnson

Comment

Wow- those parts look so old now, yet it only seems a short while ago that it happened. I was on the Stump DD 978 when it happened but we were with the USS Platte and the USS Trippe when they collided off the coast of Fla and the Bahamas and had to assist Trippe back to Jacksonville. It might as well been 60 years ago for all people know of it now. Thanks for keeping the memory alive.

Comment

Originally posted by DonBelt View Post
                          Wow- those parts look so old now, yet it only seems a short while ago that it happened. I was on the Stump DD 978 when it happened but we were with the USS Platte and the USS Trippe when they collided off the coast of Fla and the Bahamas and had to assist Trippe back to Jacksonville. It might as well been 60 years ago for all people know of it now. Thanks for keeping the memory alive.
                          That's why I'm so proud to be a founding member of the Pacific Battleship Center (formerly the Iowa Class Preservation Association). If we don't keep our history up to date, AND ACCURATE, we are hell bound to make its mistakes all over again.

Comment

USS Platte ..

Originally posted by DonBelt View Post
                            The anchor from AO-186 will be mounted for display on the banks of the Platte River later this Fall in time for Veteran's Day.

Comment

Another new Iowa exhibit is the art panels below. They were created at the "Sticks Studio" in Des Moines Iowa and tell the history of the Iowa.
                              The images were CNC traced on plywood then hand painted.
                              The photos don't do them justice you will just have to come down to see them for yourselves.

Name:	M1.jpg
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	1468813

Name:	M2.jpg
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	1468814

Name:	M3.jpg