Views:	2
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	1470855

Click image for larger version

Name:	HUP2 1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	1470853.
    Last edited by Battleship IOWA; 04 May 17,, 02:46.
    Craig Johnson

Comment

Don't forget to use the tie-downs (those holes in the deck with a cross of steel bars) with load binders. Santa Ana winds will be coming up soon and even without the rotor blades mounted, that beautiful chopper is light enough to be blown to the Green Hills cemetery.
      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Here is a better quality video of the HUP2 move, but I think my choice of music was better.
        https://youtu.be/qZuLAs1GxFo

The HUP2 getting painted.
        https://youtu.be/lsU2Nxp4FL8
        Craig Johnson

Comment

Craig,

I certainly enjoyed the two videos of HUP - nice to see the immense progress on the bird. When do they expect to finish with rotor installation, etc?

Comment

Originally posted by bbvet View Post
            Craig,

I certainly enjoyed the two videos of HUP - nice to see the immense progress on the bird. When do they expect to finish with rotor installation, etc?
            Thanks, I think the plan is to construct a blade holding apparatus like this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	USS-Intrepid-Hangar-2-1024x682.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	219.0 KB
ID:	1470870
            Craig Johnson

Comment

Craig,

Thanks for the update - that seems to be a reasonable way to display the aircraft without "little hands" constantly reaching out to touch! Your photo, however, brings up another question - the HUP on display seems to have a darker blue than the shade on IOWA's HUP, and also a bit more "Navy-like" - is this correct, or are my eyes playing tricks?

Hank

Comment

Craig,

Thanks for the update - that seems to be a reasonable way to display the aircraft without "little hands" constantly reaching out to touch! Your photo, however, brings up another question - the HUP on display seems to have a darker blue than the shade on IOWA's HUP, and also a bit more "Navy-like" - is this correct, or are my eyes playing tricks?

Hank
                The HUP in the picture is from the USS Intrepid but shows what we plan to do with the blades.
                Craig Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                  Don't forget to use the tie-downs (those holes in the deck with a cross of steel bars) with load binders. Santa Ana winds will be coming up soon and even without the rotor blades mounted, that beautiful chopper is light enough to be blown to the Green Hills cemetery.
                  Rusty, I am assured by Iowa's COO/XO Mike Getscher that a lash down plan is in the works, I will post pictures when it's finished.
                  Craig Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Battleship IOWA View Post
                    Rusty, I am assured by Iowa's COO/XO Mike Getscher that a lash down plan is in the works, I will post pictures when it's finished.
                    Oh I'm positive of that. But I've seen tool sheds torn up at LBNSY from Santa Ana winds, a Tornado touched down at Dry Dock 1 and then it hopped skipped and jump right up Downey Avenue about 100 feet past my house. California is a wierd State to live in and just looking at those tie-down cleats reminded me of (possibly) the hundreds I have installed when I was a shipfitter and the dozens I have witnessed pull testing on. Some night mares never seem to go away.

Oh, as for the question above refering to paint color. They ARE the same color. One photo was taken INSIDE out of the sun therefore the color is "shaded" a bit. Our HUP is in the bright sunlight and looks great. Now if they would just finish installing that rotary engine and reinstall the rotors, I would LOVE to have the FAA certify it for flight.

Comment

Rusty,

Thanks for clarifying the paint "shade". This project seems to be moving right along - nice addition to the ship!

Hank

Comment

HUP2 VR:

When we got the real HUP2 I was excited that our young guests would be able to sit in the cockpit and play with the controls. Then Mike Getscher our COO told me the skin of the HUP2 was as thin as a beer can and the controls would not last a good weekend, all based on input from the "American Helicopter Museum". Somewhat disappointed I thought well if they can't sit in a real HUP2 then why not let them fly one in the virtual reality world. Well a year later after partnering with a local VR developer the Battleship Iowa has it's first VR game.
                        Below are links to videos of what the player sees inside the VR goggles. The game consists of 2 missions one a training, to learn the controls and a SAR game to retrieve a downed pilot. let me know what you think. Craig

https://youtu.be/GSCRXDPWQFk4
                        https://youtu.be/-ZBsW3ql0XI
                        Craig Johnson

Comment

Yep, if you have ever watched young kids that HUP and the controls wouldn't last a month. They once thought about rigging up something to let people sit in the TBM early on and I put that to rest. Guests can sit in the F-8 and F-5 cockpits on special days as these are used to tour around the Bay Area. There have been a few times where the cockpit of the F-14 was open for some to sit in. That is very rare and I can tell you not an easy fit for those who are not slim. Outside of that no helos or other planes are open to anybody and must always be roped off.

Comment

I may have mentioned this in another forum/post, but that's similar in reckoning to why the battleship NORTH CAROLINA has engine/fire rooms encased in fencing along the tour route - to keep hands off of and removing items of interest (wheels, dials, plates, etc) - early on that was std. practice. The public, unfortunately, is nothing but THIEVES!!! if they can get away with it.

At least in this instance, the VR games will hopefully fulfill the kids desire to sit in the chopper - what a cool idea!!!

Comment

I may have mentioned this in another forum/post, but that's similar in reckoning to why the battleship NORTH CAROLINA has engine/fire rooms encased in fencing along the tour route - to keep hands off of and removing items of interest (wheels, dials, plates, etc) - early on that was std. practice. The public, unfortunately, is nothing but THIEVES!!! if they can get away with it.

At least in this instance, the VR games will hopefully fulfill the kids desire to sit in the chopper - what a cool idea!!!
                              You should have seen how much security the Hornet had, and how they were on their toes, the entire time Amway of China's event on board the ship and the well known propensity for souvenirs.

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                                You should have seen how much security the Hornet had, and how they were on their toes, the entire time Amway of China's event on board the ship and the well known propensity for souvenirs.
                                That is EXACTLY the warnings I was giving future Battleship "owners" when I started inspecting them way back in 1997 for museum/memorial/educational centers.

O'myGosh! That was 20 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X