ID:	1468817

Click image for larger version

Name:	M5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	1468818
    Craig Johnson

Comment

This is a donation box I made for the Iowa to explore the concept that you are more likely to get someone to put money in a donation box if you can get them up to the box in the first place, everyone likes bling.
      From what I am told this box brings in about 10 times what all the other donation boxes make and it is estimated to have collected over $3,000 since January including 2 $100 checks. So those of you in the museum ship world might consider a makeover of your donation boxes.
      The box is also the world's first solar powered motion activated donation box. Solar powered because our COO Mike Getscher told me sure Craig I can give you AC power if we drill down through 1.5 inches of armor plating (Rusty, check me on that). Motion activated lights so that people at night time events will light up the box as they walk by. The way I look at it, the people attending these night time events don't have to pay an admission fee and would be more likely to put money in a donation box and when you include libations it's a win win for the Iowa.

Name:	DB-1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	777.4 KB
ID:	1469029

Name:	DB-2.jpg
Size:	747.7 KB
ID:	1469030

Name:	DB-3.jpg
Size:	753.6 KB
ID:	1469031

Name:	DB 1.jpg
Size:	250.4 KB
ID:	1469032
      Craig Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Battleship IOWA View Post
        This is a donation box I made for the Iowa to explore the concept that you are more likely to get someone to put money in a donation box if you can get them up to the box in the first place, everyone likes bling.
        From what I am told this box brings in about 10 times what all the other donation boxes make and it is estimated to have collected over $3,000 since January including 2 $100 checks. So those of you in the museum ship world might consider a makeover of your donation boxes.
        The box is also the world's first solar powered motion activated donation box. Solar powered because our COO Mike Getscher told me sure Craig I can give you AC power if we drill down through 1.5 inches of armor plating (Rusty, check me on that). Motion activated lights so that people at night time events will light up the box as they walk by. The way I look at it, the people attending these night time events don't have to pay an admission fee and would be more likely to put money in a donation box and when you include libations it's a win win for the Iowa.

[ATTACH]41781[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]41782[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]41783[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]41784[/ATTACH]
        Yes. The Main Deck is 1 1/2" thick of STS (Special Treated Steel) with a yield strength of 110,000 lbs-square inch. It takes a special hole saw to drill an opening for the watertight stuffing tube. I have a couple of the "plugs" at home off of the New Jersey. They make great anvils when I'm shaping wrought "iron" fencing.
        Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Beautiful workmanship.

And following the salesman motto "Always Be Closing". It seems to be sealing the deal on spur of the moment donations.

Comment

Score!

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
            Yes. The Main Deck is 1 1/2" thick of STS (Special Treated Steel) with a yield strength of 110,000 lbs-square inch. It takes a special hole saw to drill an opening for the watertight stuffing tube. I have a couple of the "plugs" at home off of the New Jersey. They make great anvils when I'm shaping wrought "iron" fencing.

That is so "BLING".

Comment

Score ....

[ATTACH]41781[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]41782[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]41783[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]41784[/ATTACH]
              That is so " BLING" !!!

Comment

Check out the latest addition to the USS Iowa.
                This is one of the last surviving Piasecki HUP-1, it's been at the Piasecki plant in PA for the last 10 years. They have generously allowed us to purchase the aircraft at a good price and pay over time.
                Mike G our COO sent these pictures today, he in in PA collecting the HUP and all it's parts. I am told all the Windscreens are intact and we were able to get most if not all the parts we need to put this back together.
                This will be a long project to complete and will take all the hands we can get to do it.
                If you want to be involved in the restoration send me a PM.
                If you would like to contribute to the cause go to our "Go Fund Me" page. You can contribute at any level. if someone is willing to donate $15,000 (One only) you will get your name painted on the side of the HUP listed as pilot.

https://www.gofundme.com/2nwdpzfv/

Name:	Untitled-1 small.jpg
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	1469411

Name:	Untitled-2 small.jpg
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	1469412

Name:	Untitled-3 small.jpg
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	1469413

Name:	Untitled-4 small.jpg
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	1469414
                Craig Johnson

Comment

The HUP arrived today and I could not be more pleased. She will be trucked to Torrance airport for restoration I hope it will not take more than a year. It will all depends on fundraising and how many volunteer hours of help we can get.
                  Check out the Go Fund Me page if you want to donate because every dollar counts, Thanks.

https://www.gofundme.com/2nwdpzfv/

Name:	HUP 1.jpg
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	1469539Click image for larger version

Name:	HUP 2.jpg
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	1469540Click image for larger version

Name:	HUP 3.jpg
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	1469541Click image for larger version

Name:	HUP 4.jpg
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	1469542Click image for larger version

Name:	HUP 5.jpg
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	1469543
                  Craig Johnson

Comment

Name:	HUP 6.jpg
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	1469544
                    Craig Johnson

Comment

Somebody's been plumbing that engine with race car fittings.

Comment

Originally posted by Pacfanweb View Post
                        Somebody's been plumbing that engine with race car fittings.
                        Nothing unusual about that. If it works, do it. Don't forget, the M-18 Hellcat tank destroyer of WW II also used a Radial Engine.

Now, if any of you former aircraft mechanics from Douglas, Boeing, Northrop, Grumman, Hughes or whatever would like to volunteer to put that baby back together, you are more than welcome.

I used to live in that part of Torrance (the suburb called Walteria) and took my flying lessons out of that airport. I don't know what hangar they have found for reassembly, but it would be fitting (to me) if it was originally used by Trojanair right alongside the Pacific Coast Highway (and a 2 minute drive from my house. Well, 30 - 45 minutes now from North Long Beach).

Comment

The L.A. Kings where kind enough to pick the USS Iowa for one of there portable ice skating rinks. This is great marketing opportunity for us. But it got me thinking about just how thick that ice would need to be to bend the deck, teed up for you Rusty.

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	1469818Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-2.jpg
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	1469819

http://sanpedro.lakingsholidayice.com/
                          Craig Johnson

Comment

Sure hope you have the bubble canopy for that HUP.

Comment

The L.A. Kings where kind enough to pick the USS Iowa for one of there portable ice skating rinks. This is great marketing opportunity for us. But it got me thinking about just how thick that ice would need to be to bend the deck, teed up for you Rusty.

[ATTACH]42639[/ATTACH][ATTACH]42640[/ATTACH]

http://sanpedro.lakingsholidayice.com/
                              Just yesterday the L.A. Kings opened up another temporary rink somewhere in Los Angeles. Where? I don't know and don't care.

OUR rink is on the Helicopter Deck that was built flat as a spanking board. No need for compensation for camber or sheer. Believe me. I had to instruct, review and approve the final design of that helo deck. New Jersey's deck was only 8-inches above the main deck. The other three Iowas was 12 inches above. The support framing was cut to fit the camber of the main deck but the helo deck is perfectly flat.

Now, my grandchildren (9 and under) still need their first lessons in ice skating. Their mother (my daughter) in her teen years TAUGHT ice skating lesson to mentally handicapped children at the Paramount (California) rink.

So, I'm trying to get something going here. Her husband (my son-in-law) is an electrician for DWP and a Volunteer of the Iowa. So don't be surprised if you see my family putting on an ice show.

No, I won't be in it. Though I was born and raised in Milwaukee, WI with a natural rink just in a vacant (low level) lot across the street and a nice rectangular one just 5 blocks from my house, I could never skate. I like something with an engine on it like a Cessna 150 or 172 Airplane, a 2 1/2 ton Studebaker Rheo (double clutch time) or an M-41-A1 tank.

Comment

Here are videos of the HUP2 restoration. They are in chronological order from top to bottom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDgRoeZipO4
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRuHbBFXn1M
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-a4lstjSrs
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSOG0qwbV1M
                                https://youtu.be/lBSH6yBNDaE
                                Craig Johnson

Comment

Working...
                                X