USS Salem to reopen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business...cZK/story.html

I suppose it's one way to raise money, but it seems kind of undignified.

Comment

Ghost ship ....

Ghost ships appear to bring the crowds to the Salem.
      My docent provided the chance to view the machine shop B-203-2.
      The volunteers rigged an electric chair seen in the attached photo.
      Another revenue stream ???
      Attached Files

Comment

Last year the Hornet has a fright arena built in Hanger 1. The cost was $40 per person if you can believe that. It was only open in the evening hours after the 5:00 pm closing time. As always the question is how much of the 29.95 will actually go to the Salem? You know how some charities are 80% admin and 20% charity. Translation the event organizers are the charity.

Comment

Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
          ghost ships appear to bring the crowds to the salem.
          My docent provided the chance to view the machine shop b-203-2.
          The volunteers rigged an electric chair seen in the attached photo.
          Another revenue stream ???
          why?
          Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Electric chair ...

Mr. L it is the excitement getting action of an electric chair that possibly holds the youth's attention while below deck on a cruiser?

I guess if you could shoot a clown out of one of these you could create some on deck action perhaps?
            Attached Files

Comment

Sense of humor ....

This plaque caught my eye.... at least there is a sense of humor aboard a museum ship....
              Attached Files

Comment

Salem's Staboard Ceremonial gun ...

Perhaps a traditional that I'm not knowledgeable and that is a capital ship having two (2) ceremonial guns ?
                This is picture of the Starboard gun aboard the Salem....
                Attached Files

Comment

more photos ...

The artwork left on board the Salem reminds me of warriors of old painting their shields before entering combat ....
                  Attached Files

Comment

Any of you guys here about this?

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/loc...salem_break_in

https://www.boston.com/news/crime/20...alem-in-quincy
                    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                    Mark Twain

Comment

Yes- it was in the news for a couple of days up here. They didn't seem to do much other than steal a couple of hand held radios. Makes me wonder if the expected to find something different, the Haunted Harbor thing is going on, maybe they thought they would break in and steal some props or special effects pieces but they only set up on weekends.

Comment

Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
                        Mr. L it is the excitement getting action of an electric chair that possibly holds the youth's attention while below deck on a cruiser?

I guess if you could shoot a clown out of one of these you could create some on deck action perhaps?
                        Side note: Those bloomers look like they are about twice the size needed to fit the gun barrel.

Are the from a Battleship?

Comment

They have to be large for shell casing ejection ports under the barrels.

Comment

Metal ???

The most valuable material on board the Salem is "COPPER"....
                            It would take some effort to remove and collect the stuff but remember some folks will steal anything...

Maybe put them in the "CHAIR" ????
                            Attached Files

Comment

Bloomers ....

Originally posted by Pacfanweb View Post
                              Side note: Those bloomers look like they are about twice the size needed to fit the gun barrel.

Are the from a Battleship?
                              The “bucklers” (sometimes called “bloomers”), are the huge black blast bags attached to each gun at the turret face plate.
                              [ I want to provide this recital as Mr. L educated me several months past. ;^) ]
                              I've notice that the 3-gun 6-inch turret on cruisers have prominent "bucklers"... which I assume provided for the board range of elevation.
                              The Little Rock has replacement "bucklers" that are much "thinner" and highly flexible. [ picture attached]
                              There was some discussion on the "BB" threads [ I think the Iowa ] about the cost too find replacement material for these devices.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by surfgun View Post
                                They have to be large for shell casing ejection ports under the barrels.
                                Ah, makes sense. I forgot about them being auto-loaders.

Comment

Working...
                                X