Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Americans are tired of the Clinton scandals and want real change in office. To effect that, Hillary will not be President. Whoever the Republican nominee is, all Republicans will come out to vote, just to stop another Democrat from becoming President the next term.

Comment

Julie, want to make a butter cookie bet? :-)

btw, DOR, Walker is not an "old school" republican, he leans quite far to the right. (see the way he methodically demolished unions in Wisconsin.)

he just doesn't make a point of grabbing a stick and poking the Establishment repeatedly in the eye, like a certain man whose last name names with frump.

calling it now, I think Republican primary will ultimately be a fight between Bush and Walker. Clinton will win Democratic primary by absorbing more of Bernie Sander's positions, and will ultimately take the Presidency in results that look much like 2012. demographics play against the Republicans and they're certainly digging a hole for themselves on that point at the moment.
      There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Hillary 100%, my hunch is never wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Versus View Post
          Hillary 100%, my hunch is never wrong.
          I'm waiting until Nate Silver makes his prediction. (insert wink)
          sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post

btw, DOR, Walker is not an "old school" republican, he leans quite far to the right. (see the way he methodically demolished unions in Wisconsin.)

he just doesn't make a point of grabbing a stick and poking the Establishment repeatedly in the eye, like a certain man whose last name names with frump.

calling it now, I think Republican primary will ultimately be a fight between Bush and Walker. Clinton will win Democratic primary by absorbing more of Bernie Sander's positions, and will ultimately take the Presidency in results that look much like 2012. demographics play against the Republicans and they're certainly digging a hole for themselves on that point at the moment.
            My theory is that if the GOP nominates Rubio it has a shot. He can play up the 'youth & vigour' angle against an ageing insider while helping with at least one demographic issue. Also appeals to conservative Republicans. Bush loses entirely on the first angle, though not a disaster on the second. Don't see him winning unless Hilary self destructs or something massive about her comes out (way bigger than so far). No idea on Walker.

Once again the danger for the GOP is a feral base that is currently giving Donald 'not all Mexicans are rapists & murderers' Trump a platform to wreck the party's chances.
            sigpic

Comment

IIRC Walkers main focus was public sector unions. I'm a staunch Roosevelt Democrat when it comes to public sector unions. Although Wisconsin did pass right to work legislation, all that means is that Unions have to compete for workers loyalty. If they are worth the cost to the individual, then they will flourish. Private sector unions may have to hustle a little more than before, but they oftentimes provide valuable service, and should be ok. Especially the Trade Unions.

Comment

http://www.vox.com/2015/2/23/8090309...ion-membership

of all the Republican candidates thus far, he's probably been the most effective at carrying out his stated agenda.
                There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Bernie Sanders has seen a surge in his numbers, but interestingly enough, it hasn't hurt Hillary.

I suspect his popularity will continue to grow, although I'll be interested to see if his increased popularity comes at the expense of Hillary down the road, or ends up pushing her more to the left.

As far as Republican candidates are concerned, I agree with Bigfella that Rubio is probably the only one of the bunch that has a good shot at taking on Hillary.

Comment

Agreed, and amended on the previous page.

= = = = =

Steve da Pirate,

Bernie is bringing out people who usually don't vote, which is always a positive in my book. Unfortunately The Frump is doing the same.
                    Trust me?
                    I'm an economist!

Comment

Originally posted by DOR View Post
                      Agreed, and amended on the previous page.

= = = = =

Steve da Pirate,

Bernie is bringing out people who usually don't vote, which is always a positive in my book. Unfortunately The Frump is doing the same.
                      If it makes you feel any better, Trump will bring out voters on the other side too, Sanders probably not so much.
                      sigpic

Comment

Yes sir I would and I will tell you why. Clinton was way ahead of everybody in the polls the last time she run for office. As soon as someone exciting and new came in, she tanked like yesterdays news. It was incredible to watch and I couldn't believe she lost her voters in the blink of an eye. A tin of butter cookies says she doesn't make it again.

Comment

Looks like the Trump train has derailed sooner than expected. The Donald forgot one of the rules of US politics - attacking the service of veterans in a big no no (unless they are Democrats). This is the beginning of the end. Good news for the other GOP contenders.

Mr. Trump upended a Republican presidential forum here, and the race more broadly, by saying of the Arizona senator and former prisoner of war: “He’s not a war hero. He’s a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren’t captured.”
                          http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/19/us...cord.html?_r=0
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Julie View Post
                            Americans are tired of the Clinton scandals and want real change in office. To effect that, Hillary will not be President. Whoever the Republican nominee is, all Republicans will come out to vote, just to stop another Democrat from becoming President the next term.
                            Wasn't that the plan last election? All Republicans turn out to vote to insure President Obama was a one term affair?

We saw that it does matter who the nominee is.

With the choices that are on the table now. this Republican (since 1981), sees Clinton by a landslide

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                              With the choices that are on the table now. this Republican (since 1981), sees Clinton by a landslide
                              She'll lose for sure if she doesn't shake her sense of entitlement.

If it's a Bush-Clinton match-up, neither will suffer the dynasty label.

In any case, there won't be a landslide unless the GOP nominates someone way out on the right.
                              To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

JAD_333,

I feel like I'm wandering around in the dark, trying to find that elusive GOPer not "way out on the right" who can actually get nominated.

Any ideas?
                                Trust me?
                                I'm an economist!

Comment

Working...
                                X