This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://triblive.com/politics/salenaz...#ixzz3gM61yyXv
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Great article sweetheart. Trump may be a nut job but the reason he is polling high is because he is not an establishment candidate, and wont dance to the tune of his donors because he is already rich. Trump is just as sick of American politics as American voters are.

Comment

Originally posted by Julie View Post
        Great article sweetheart. Trump may be a nut job but the reason he is polling high is because he is not an establishment candidate, and wont dance to the tune of his donors because he is already rich. Trump is just as sick of American politics as American voters are.
        I feel like there's also the novelty/entertainment factor. Trump's antics are doing a very good job of keeping him centered in the media spotlight.

I'd be sorely tempted to vote for him just for the entertainment value coming out of the Trump White House.

We could probably sell the State of the Union on Pay-Per-View and use the money to start paying down the deficit...
        "Nature abhors a moron." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by Genosaurer View Post
          I feel like there's also the novelty/entertainment factor. Trump's antics are doing a very good job of keeping him centered in the media spotlight.

I'd be sorely tempted to vote for him just for the entertainment value coming out of the Trump White House.

We could probably sell the State of the Union on Pay-Per-View and use the money to start paying down the deficit...
          I'm totally with you on that. No doubt Trump would shake lots of things up in there.

Comment

Originally posted by DOR View Post
            JAD_333,

I feel like I'm wandering around in the dark, trying to find that elusive GOPer not "way out on the right" who can actually get nominated.

Any ideas?
            Rand Paul

Comment

I think I have a theory about why Trump is doing so well in the polls (Julie already mentioned some of these)
              • He's not an establishment politician or even a politician, period, yet he has arguably more name-brand recognition than any of them
              • He speaks loudly and proudly what much of his target audience thinks but cannot say due to political correctness.
              • He is unapologetic for perceived multiple faux pas and apparently fearless of the consequences.
              • His money allows him to, supposedly, speak his mind without fear of angering potential donors.
              • In many ways, he's the right-wing equivalent of Barack Obama circa 2008, albeit a rather clownish caricature. He's energizing the Right by telling them what they want to hear, just like Obama did.

It's fairly obvious that Trump has some degree of psychopathy and he's got these traits on full display at the moment.

The question is, what are his motives for running? To obtain the office of President? Sure that's possible but I don't believe that's the case here. Something else is at work but I'll be damned if I know what it is.

The bad news is, the GOP has managed to come up with yet another overstuffed clown car of idiot candidates (for the 2nd election in a row, no less!) and Trump has managed to somehow make things worse.

At the end of the day, my prediction (you heard it here first!) is that the GOP will, once again, hand the election to the Democrats on a silver platter, just like they did in 2012.
              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

At this point we are almost up to 'clown minivan'. Quite the list.

Fair points on Trump. One really big difference with Obama....and most of the GOP field....Trump doesn't actually have any interest in being President. He'll have his fun & walk away again.
                sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                  The question is, what are his motives for running? To obtain the office of President? Sure that's possible but I don't believe that's the case here. Something else is at work but I'll be damned if I know what it is.
                  Interesting theory about Trump from another forum.

I think he's kamikazing the early election. None of the other republican candidates are getting looked at closely because he's all over the news with his nonsense. This buys them time to get closer to the election before their own faults become apparent. He'll drop out at the last minute for some reason, and bamn they'll have a better option and nobody will know about their bullshit because everyone was watching Trump dance for the cameras. He's diving on the grenade for the good of his party and it just might work.

Comment

lol, i think the internet conspiracy theory that Trump is a secret Democratic operative is more likely...:-)

seriously though, i think this is pretty indicative of where the respective bases are today. trump is getting a lot of love from the republican base not DESPITE the fact that he's a border-line (okay, maybe not so borderline) racist and blowhard who likes to flaunt his wealth, but BECAUSE he is one...i'm sorry, i mean a brave, unapologetic, and un-PC independent.

who does the democratic base love? in 2008 it was a constitutional law professor and now it's a 73-year old reedy senator from Vermont who looks more comfortable at a lectern than he does at a popular rally.

geezus, george bush the elder must be privately crying tears of blood at what passes for leadership in the republican party.
                    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                      Trump doesn't actually have any interest in being President. He'll have his fun & walk away again.
                      Originally posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
                      Interesting theory about Trump from another forum.
                      I think that's what he's doing, having his fun and walking away. I don't think there's a master plan at all. He's trolling on a massive scale.

Originally posted by astralis View Post
                      who does the democratic base love? in 2008 it was a constitutional law professor and now it's a 73-year old reedy senator from Vermont who looks more comfortable at a lectern than he does at a popular rally.
                      An Old. White. Man.

Irony, thou art a sadistic bitch :-D
                      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Astralis, I raise you a bag of Cheetos. Clinton is already beginning to tank in the poll numbers. Trump is ahead in the polls. Omg get the popcorn smilies fixed! Hahaha

Comment

excellent, excellent. the murdering Mexican rapists have got a good thing with Cheetos going, they put spices and melted cheese and chorizo into it, so if Hillary wins I'll make sure to have a good meal of it :-)

TH,

An Old. White. Man.

Irony, thou art a sadistic bitch :-D
                          yeah, thus the recent fracas in the Democratic base about the Black Lives Matter activists pummeling on said old white man.

OTOH he's not likely to win the nomination. Hillary's done a pretty good job of absorbing most of his policy concerns from the get-go, having learned her lessons from 2012.
                          There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
                            OTOH he's not likely to win the nomination. Hillary's done a pretty good job of absorbing most of his policy concerns from the get-go, having learned her lessons from 2012.
                            Agreed, it's entirely possible that Mrs. Clinton will be our next President.

Oddly enough, this might actually lead to some actual bipartisanship occurring...She doesn't have the Messiah-complex that Obama did.

(Although I'm not holding my breath lol)

Comment

Trump's telling them what they want to hear, the way they want to hear it. Even if he doesn't make it through the primaries, he's put the GOP candidates on notice that 19% of the conservative electorate wants action on illegal immigration.
                              To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

TH,

Oddly enough, this might actually lead to some actual bipartisanship occurring...She doesn't have the Messiah-complex that Obama did.
                                i doubt it. politics is less personality-based than one might assume. IE, the very same political incentives that encourage congressional Republicans to not cooperate with Obama now, will remain the very same incentives that encourage congressional Republicans to not cooperate with Clinton later.

ironically Congress is having a very, very surprisingly productive time even as Obama is doing all these "Messianic" executive orders-- precisely because he's removed himself from -Congressional- fights. congressional Republicans can rail about the orders all they want, but they're not subject to votes that have "Obama stink" on them, thus that incentive to lock everything up is lessened.

Comment

Working...
                                X