Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about USN-###... not sure if this is the right board...

Question about USN-###... not sure if this is the right board...

Sorry if this is the wrong place, but... I'm just wondering what significance/meaning the ### have after the USN (e.g. "USN-335")?

Thank you!

Defense Professional
    Military Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by crosservice View Post
    Sorry if this is the wrong place, but... I'm just wondering what significance/meaning the ### have after the USN (e.g. "USN-335")?

Thank you!
    I would be happy to answer your question if I understood it. To what numbers after "USN" are you referring? For instance, I was Captain I.M. Squid, USN. No numbers there, so I'm a bit confused. Care to give a real example for me to decipher for you?

Judging by the format, I'm assuming he's specifically referring to the hull numbers of SSN/SSBN's; I'm not sure of the significance of that number, either, just that the numbers had been sequentially assigned to SSN/SSBN hulls until the advent of the Seawolf-class SSN, where the numbers "re-started" at SSN-21, signifying the first all-new submarine design for the 21st century.
    "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Defense Professional
    Military Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
    Judging by the format, I'm assuming he's specifically referring to the hull numbers of SSN/SSBN's; I'm not sure of the significance of that number, either, just that the numbers had been sequentially assigned to SSN/SSBN hulls until the advent of the Seawolf-class SSN, where the numbers "re-started" at SSN-21, signifying the first all-new submarine design for the 21st century.
    I thought that might be the case, but his use of "USN" sort of muddies the waters. Regardless, numbers from 1 to the 1000s are used to sequentially identify hulls within a class of ships, or squadrons within a class of airplanes. I served in numbers 1, 21, 64, and 1089; four different classes of ships.

Senior Contributor
    The Linux operating system distribution Ubuntu issues its Ubuntu Security Notices labeled in the format USN-xxxx-x... USN-335-1 (since OP mentions that number) for example is the Heartbleed vulnerability of OpenSSL.

Although he might also mean various wrenches based on standardized models given USN-xxx designations by the US Navy.

Defense Professional
    Military Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by kato View Post
    The Linux operating system distribution Ubuntu issues its Ubuntu Security Notices labeled in the format USN-xxxx-x... USN-335-1 (since OP mentions that number) for example is the Heartbleed vulnerability of OpenSSL.

Although he might also mean various wrenches based on standardized models given USN-xxx designations by the US Navy.
    OK, forget for a minute that I have a masters in Computer Science, I haven't a freaking clue what you are talking about.

Defense Professional RustyBattleship's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by desertswo View Post
    OK, forget for a minute that I have a masters in Computer Science, I haven't a freaking clue what you are talking about.
    Neither do I and I actually "invented" a more accurate engineering formula for steel garland rings.

I first thought he meant USS as in United States Ship. And as you thought the pound signs represented a hull number. But he said "USN" that stands for United States Navy which includes airplanes, helicopters, Marines, Seals, SAMs (Surface to Air Missiles), Tomahawks, Harpoons, SRBOC, etc.

But if he and kato are referring to stock numbers, they usually start off with MIL-SPEC (Military Specification) that would describe required design and quality of anything from a 1/4-20 screw to class A armor plate or even the weave pattern and color of cloth used for uniforms or tarpaulins.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Quote Originally Posted by kato View Post

I understand OpenSSL (it's an HTTP protocol), and that's about it . . . .
    "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Defense ProfessionalSenior Contributor tbm3fan's Avatar
    Man, do you guys really know how to complicate things...

Up in the cheap seats ....

Patiently waiting for this chess game to played out ...

I know there has to be a "winning move" in this discussion!

Defense Professional
    Military Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by blidgepump View Post
    Patiently waiting for this chess game to played out ...

I know there has to be a "winning move" in this discussion!
    Probably. Like I said, I suspect there are a couple of us here who could answer the question, but without proper context, we are about fourth or fifth stone from the Sun.

Fifth rock .....?

Cool.... the USN defends EARTH against Martians....

Defense Professional
    Military Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by blidgepump View Post
    Cool.... the USN defends EARTH against Martians....
    Well, we are testing those new Pew 36 Explosive Space Modulators developed by General Atomics.

Defense Professional RustyBattleship's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tbm3fan View Post
    Man, do you guys really know how to complicate things...
    Of course we do. We were all professional GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES. We were TRAINED to complicate things.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Defense Professional
    Military Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBattleship View Post
    Of course we do. We were all professional GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES. We were TRAINED to complicate things.
    Just like me; I never write in ten words, what I can do in 100. It's just the way we roll! LOL!!

Thread Information