Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Concealed Carry Reciprocity

Bill would allow concealed weapons across state lines | TheHill

Add this to the interstate handgun purchase and I'll be one happy camper.
    I know this idea leads to the idea of a national registry and we shouldn't need permits at all, but I don't think well get that anytime soon.
    Here in the northeast, it is easy to bump across state lines and no state recognizes permits from their neighbor. It is frustrating to say the least.

I hope this passes.
    "Bother", said Poo, chambering another round.

i would be against it. Unless all the States had similar criteria for issuing concealed carry permits. And they don't

Comment

Don't most states allow reciprocity for concealed carry permit holders already?

Comment

Not really, especially in the Northeast. Which makes it difficult. I can easily be through over a half dozen states in a day of driving, so trying to have non resident licenses for each state would get pretty expensive. The biggest thing is accidently bumping over a border and becoming a felon. I've accidently crossed from Vermont (no license required - law states it is illegal to commit a crime with a firearm or something commonsenical like that) into New York State. That could have been bad had I been stopped / searched.

As for the idea of standard criteria, I think since it is a right, or supposed to be anyway, it sould be as easy as possible.

Comment

Ahh, here we go.

Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps - USA Carry

I guess reciprocity is one of the perks of living in the midwest. I don't see much chance of this bill passing unless the Feds were to come up with a standardized set of concealed carry requirements and curricula however.

I'm actually ok with that taking place. Even as an avid gun owner, I would be totally on board with requiring a couple days of education and a basic skills demonstration as a prerequisite to owning firearms, or in this case concealed carry.

Comment

I really need to send in my Utah app...

Comment

Originally posted by Native View Post
              I really need to send in my Utah app...
              You and me both.
              Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                i would be against it. Unless all the States had similar criteria for issuing concealed carry permits. And they don't
                As long as they all met a minimum criteria it shouldn't be an issue.

Comment

Or it could be the basis for the argument that any criteria is an infringement.

Comment

Originally posted by tuna View Post
                    I have a hard time believing that keeping violent felons/criminals from carrying guns is an infringement.

Comment

Because felons and criminals obey the law right? and places that have the strictest requirements also tend to have the most amount of crime.

Comment

I don't think an argument claiming any criteria at all equals an infringement of the 2nd amendment holds much water.

Voting certainly requires that a person register, and vote at the prescribed place and time, while felons and minors are often restricted from voting. Should people be able to vote willy nilly in whatever fashion they individually choose without identifying themselves?

Firearms can certainly be treated in a manner that requires a prospective owner to demonstrate that they possess a basic understanding of which end the bullet comes out without running afoul of the 2nd amendment.

Comment

Because felons and criminals obey the law right? and places that have the strictest requirements also tend to have the most amount of crime.
                          I agree that any determined person in the US can get their hands on a gun despite any legal restrictions.

But your argument feels like you are saying locking your door is worthless since a determined felon can still break into your house.

Locks on doors and legal restrictions on guns are not absolute solutions, but they do raise the bar for the time and effort required to circumvent them. Sensible regulations that raise the bar for criminals without becoming too burdensome for the average guy seem worth pursuing even if they aren't airtight solutions.

Comment

Funny but there seems to be an argument about the legality of asking people for an id to vote. As for the training requirements, I would be fine with them if they worked. Instead they wind up being a requirement to jump through legal hoops and/or pay fees in order to exercise your right. In the very worst cases they can be seen as a veiled attempt to restrict firearms ownership from "those people", is NOT those in power.

making the requirement reasonable it still accessible to all just like a drivers license would be fine but for some reason people think that a firearm is much more likely to cause injury or death then someone texting behind the wheel, making the requirement reasonable it still accessible to all just like a drivers license would be fine but for some reason people think that of iron is much more likely to cause injury or death than someone texting behind the wheel. guns are a simple tool no worse or better than those behind them. They aren't the magic wand that needs a PhD to operate and like a comedian says you just can't fix stupid.
                            Last edited by tuna; 23 Feb 15,, 22:42. Reason: voice typing not functioning properly

Comment

Originally posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
                              I agree that any determined person in the US can get their hands on a gun despite any legal restrictions.

But your argument feels like you are saying locking your door is worthless since a determined felon can still break into your house.

Locks on doors and legal restrictions on guns are not absolute solutions, but they do raise the bar for the time and effort required to circumvent them. Sensible regulations that raise the bar for criminals without becoming too burdensome for the average guy seem worth pursuing even if they aren't airtight solutions.
                              how about using Vermont law as a basis then? Vermont gun law in a nutshell makes it illegal to use a gun in a crime. That sounds pretty easy to me, instead of making a licensed person a felon for simply crossing the state line.
                              Last edited by tuna; 23 Feb 15,, 22:42.

Comment

Working...
                              X