Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 37

Thread: National Concealed Carry Reciprocity

  1. #1
    Defense Professional
    Military Professional
    tuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    13 Dec 12
    Posts
    296

    National Concealed Carry Reciprocity

    Bill would allow concealed weapons across state lines | TheHill

    Add this to the interstate handgun purchase and I'll be one happy camper.
    I know this idea leads to the idea of a national registry and we shouldn't need permits at all, but I don't think well get that anytime soon.
    Here in the northeast, it is easy to bump across state lines and no state recognizes permits from their neighbor. It is frustrating to say the least.

    I hope this passes.
    "Bother", said Poo, chambering another round.

  2. #2
    Resident Curmudgeon Military Professional Gun Grape's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Mar 05
    Location
    Panama City Fl
    Posts
    8,476
    i would be against it. Unless all the States had similar criteria for issuing concealed carry permits. And they don't
    Its called Tourist Season. So why can't we shoot them?

  3. #3
    Senior Contributor SteveDaPirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    08 Aug 13
    Location
    Kansas City, United States
    Posts
    1,284
    Don't most states allow reciprocity for concealed carry permit holders already?

  4. #4
    Defense Professional
    Military Professional
    tuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    13 Dec 12
    Posts
    296
    Not really, especially in the Northeast. Which makes it difficult. I can easily be through over a half dozen states in a day of driving, so trying to have non resident licenses for each state would get pretty expensive. The biggest thing is accidently bumping over a border and becoming a felon. I've accidently crossed from Vermont (no license required - law states it is illegal to commit a crime with a firearm or something commonsenical like that) into New York State. That could have been bad had I been stopped / searched.

    As for the idea of standard criteria, I think since it is a right, or supposed to be anyway, it sould be as easy as possible.
    "Bother", said Poo, chambering another round.

  5. #5
    Senior Contributor SteveDaPirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    08 Aug 13
    Location
    Kansas City, United States
    Posts
    1,284
    Ahh, here we go.

    Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps - USA Carry

    I guess reciprocity is one of the perks of living in the midwest. I don't see much chance of this bill passing unless the Feds were to come up with a standardized set of concealed carry requirements and curricula however.

    I'm actually ok with that taking place. Even as an avid gun owner, I would be totally on board with requiring a couple days of education and a basic skills demonstration as a prerequisite to owning firearms, or in this case concealed carry.

  6. #6
    IS1(SW) Military Professional
    Join Date
    30 Mar 07
    Location
    Mission Viejo, CA
    Posts
    261
    I really need to send in my Utah app...

  7. #7
    Senior Contributor bonehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Jan 05
    Posts
    5,908
    Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    I really need to send in my Utah app...
    You and me both.
    Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

  8. #8
    Senior Contributor bonehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Jan 05
    Posts
    5,908
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Grape View Post
    i would be against it. Unless all the States had similar criteria for issuing concealed carry permits. And they don't
    As long as they all met a minimum criteria it shouldn't be an issue.
    Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

  9. #9
    Defense Professional
    Military Professional
    tuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    13 Dec 12
    Posts
    296
    Or it could be the basis for the argument that any criteria is an infringement.
    "Bother", said Poo, chambering another round.

  10. #10
    Senior Contributor bonehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Jan 05
    Posts
    5,908
    Quote Originally Posted by tuna View Post
    Or it could be the basis for the argument that any criteria is an infringement.
    I have a hard time believing that keeping violent felons/criminals from carrying guns is an infringement.
    Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

  11. #11
    Defense Professional
    Military Professional
    tuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    13 Dec 12
    Posts
    296
    Because felons and criminals obey the law right? and places that have the strictest requirements also tend to have the most amount of crime.
    "Bother", said Poo, chambering another round.

  12. #12
    Senior Contributor SteveDaPirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    08 Aug 13
    Location
    Kansas City, United States
    Posts
    1,284
    Quote Originally Posted by tuna View Post
    Or it could be the basis for the argument that any criteria is an infringement.
    I don't think an argument claiming any criteria at all equals an infringement of the 2nd amendment holds much water.

    Voting certainly requires that a person register, and vote at the prescribed place and time, while felons and minors are often restricted from voting. Should people be able to vote willy nilly in whatever fashion they individually choose without identifying themselves?

    Firearms can certainly be treated in a manner that requires a prospective owner to demonstrate that they possess a basic understanding of which end the bullet comes out without running afoul of the 2nd amendment.

  13. #13
    Senior Contributor SteveDaPirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    08 Aug 13
    Location
    Kansas City, United States
    Posts
    1,284
    Quote Originally Posted by tuna View Post
    Because felons and criminals obey the law right? and places that have the strictest requirements also tend to have the most amount of crime.
    I agree that any determined person in the US can get their hands on a gun despite any legal restrictions.

    But your argument feels like you are saying locking your door is worthless since a determined felon can still break into your house.

    Locks on doors and legal restrictions on guns are not absolute solutions, but they do raise the bar for the time and effort required to circumvent them. Sensible regulations that raise the bar for criminals without becoming too burdensome for the average guy seem worth pursuing even if they aren't airtight solutions.

  14. #14
    Defense Professional
    Military Professional
    tuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    13 Dec 12
    Posts
    296
    Funny but there seems to be an argument about the legality of asking people for an id to vote. As for the training requirements, I would be fine with them if they worked. Instead they wind up being a requirement to jump through legal hoops and/or pay fees in order to exercise your right. In the very worst cases they can be seen as a veiled attempt to restrict firearms ownership from "those people", is NOT those in power.

    making the requirement reasonable it still accessible to all just like a drivers license would be fine but for some reason people think that a firearm is much more likely to cause injury or death then someone texting behind the wheel, making the requirement reasonable it still accessible to all just like a drivers license would be fine but for some reason people think that of iron is much more likely to cause injury or death than someone texting behind the wheel. guns are a simple tool no worse or better than those behind them. They aren't the magic wand that needs a PhD to operate and like a comedian says you just can't fix stupid.
    Last edited by tuna; 23 Feb 15, at 22:42. Reason: voice typing not functioning properly
    "Bother", said Poo, chambering another round.

  15. #15
    Defense Professional
    Military Professional
    tuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    13 Dec 12
    Posts
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
    I agree that any determined person in the US can get their hands on a gun despite any legal restrictions.

    But your argument feels like you are saying locking your door is worthless since a determined felon can still break into your house.

    Locks on doors and legal restrictions on guns are not absolute solutions, but they do raise the bar for the time and effort required to circumvent them. Sensible regulations that raise the bar for criminals without becoming too burdensome for the average guy seem worth pursuing even if they aren't airtight solutions.
    how about using Vermont law as a basis then? Vermont gun law in a nutshell makes it illegal to use a gun in a crime. That sounds pretty easy to me, instead of making a licensed person a felon for simply crossing the state line.
    Last edited by tuna; 23 Feb 15, at 22:42.
    "Bother", said Poo, chambering another round.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Concealed weapons: US court upholds New York state requirement for permit
    By antimony in forum Small Arms and Personal Weapons
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 24 Jun 13,, 21:08
  2. California Assembly OKS concealed guns for four legislators
    By troung in forum American Politics & Economy
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 14 Apr 11,, 04:21
  3. Concealed weapon
    By DragoonGuard in forum World Affairs Board Pub
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28 Oct 09,, 12:07
  4. Concealed carry and drinking
    By HistoricalDavid in forum World Affairs Board Pub
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04 Aug 08,, 17:55
  5. An Easy Way to expose concealed Anti-Americanism
    By Shek in forum International Politics
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 23 Apr 06,, 21:14

Share this thread with friends:

Share this thread with friends:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •