Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The young whippersnapper political party AAP sweep BJP away in India's capital Delhi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by commander View Post
    AM,

How is Judicial reform and LA reforms are a bad thing ? The supreme court appoints it's own judges without participation from anyone else ? As for land acquisition this is a welcome step. The other parties are deliberately are making a mountain out of nothing.. MSM is also taking part in this by spreading false information and fear mongering for sometime now.
    They are only bad things when someone makes a pig's breakfast out of them.

Have you looked into the details of the reforms?

Now the government can arm-twist the judicial committee to dictate candidates. Contrary to what experts wanted, there has been no provision of a secretariat that can make the selection of judges based on merit/ past decisions.

In the LA bill, do you know what the compensation clauses are? The farmers would be paid value of their farmland based on agricultural use, even though the value would go up once the land is converted to industrial, commercial or residential land. Also, I did not see anything around allowing the farmers a stake in the development (if I am wrong, please correct me). You take away someone's livelihood (I am not completely opposed to that, as development needs land) but instead of some kind of annuity or ownership stake, you give him a value far less that what is logical. Is that fair?
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

MSM is also taking part in this by spreading false information and fear mongering for sometime now.
      Please specify the false information. fear mongering is not a valid charge. The media has a job to inform us against our government. We the people are the masters. If our servants are harming us, we should know about that.
      "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by antimony View Post

In the LA bill, do you know what the compensation clauses are? The farmers would be paid value of their farmland based on agricultural use, even though the value would go up once the land is converted to industrial, commercial or residential land. Also, I did not see anything around allowing the farmers a stake in the development (if I am wrong, please correct me). You take away someone's livelihood (I am not completely opposed to that, as development needs land) but instead of some kind of annuity or ownership stake, you give him a value far less that what is logical. Is that fair?
        If the land is taken for industrial purposes then there is a assurance for a job in the industry.

Cabinet approves ordinance on amendments to Land Acquisition Act

NEW DELHI: Government today recommended promulgation of an ordinance making significant changes in the Land Acquisition Act including removal of consent clause for acquiring land for five areas of industrial corridors, PPP projects, rural infrastructure, affordable housing and defence.

The Union Cabinet, chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, decided to amend the Act to bring under its purview 13 central legislations, including those relating to defence and national security, to provide higher compensation and rehabilitation and resettlement benefits to farmers whose land is being acquired.

Finance Minister Arun Jaitley said the government decided to relax certain provisions of the Act and add Section 10 A to the legislation keeping in the mind development needs of the society.

He said the mandatory "consent" clause and Social Impact Assessment (SIA) will not be applicable if the land is acquired for five purposes including national security, defence, rural infrastructure including electrification, industrial corridors and building social infrastructure including PPP where ownership of land continues to be vested with the government.

However, the compensation and rehabilitation and resettlement packages will be applicable as per the new Land Acquisition Act for acquiring land for these purposes.

As per the changes brought in the ordinance, multi-crop irrigated land can also be acquired for these purposes.

"Such projects are vital to national security and defence of India including preparation for defence and defence production," Jaitley said justifying the government's decision to bring changes in the Act enacted during previous UPA rule.

Asked about the consent clause, Jaitley said "if the land acquisition is for the five purposes, then the consent clause will be exempted".

The earlier Act provided for consent of 70 per cent of land owners whose land is acquired for PPP projects.

Jaitley said there is a mandatory condition for provision of job for those whose land is acquired for industrial corridors.

With this decision, rehabilitation and resettlement and compensation provisions of the Right to Fair Compensation and Transparency in Rehabilitation and Resettlement Act, 2013 will be applicable for the 13 existing central pieces of legislation including the Coal Bearing Areas Acquisition and Development Act, 1957, the National Highways Act, 1956 and the Land Acquisition (Mines) Act, 1885.

Government said Cabinet approved certain amendments in the Act "in order to remove" many difficulties which have been reported and certain amendments have been made to further strengthen the provisions to protect the interests of the 'affected families'.

In addition, procedural difficulties in the acquisition of land required for important national projects required to be mitigated, the government said in a release.

Government said its decision to bring excluded 13 Acts under the Land Acquisition Act for compensation and Rehabilitation and Resettlement purposes was a "pro-farmer step".
        "In the process of prolonged procedure for land acquisition, neither the farmer is able to get benefit nor is the project completed in time for the benefit of society at large.

"Therefore the present changes allow a fast track process for defence and defence production, rural infrastructure including electrification, housing for poor including affordable housing, industrial corridors and infrastructure projects including projects taken up under Public Private Partnership mode where ownership of the land continues to be vested with the government," it said.

The government further said these projects are essential for bringing in better economic opportunities for the people living in these areas and would also help in improving quality of life.

"The existing Act vide Section 105 (read with Schedule IV) has kept 13 most frequently used Acts for Land Acquisition for the central government projects out of the purview.

These Acts are applicable for national highways, metro rail, atomic energy projects, electricity-related other projects etc. Thus, a large percentage of famers and affected families were denied the compensation and R&R measures prescribed under the Act," it said.

The government said the present amendments bring all those exempted 13 Acts under the purview of this Act for the purpose of compensation as well as rehabilitation and resettlement.

"Therefore, the amendment benefits the farmers and the affected families," it said.

With the changes, the R & R (rehabilitation and resettlement) and compensation provisions of the Act will be applicable to the laws including the Atomic Energy Act, 1962, the Indian Tramways Act, 1886, the Railways Act, 1989, the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Sites and Remains Act, 1958, the Petroleum and Minerals Pipelines (Acquisition of Right of User in Land) Act, 1962 and the Damodar Valley Corporation Act, 1948.

The Electricity Act, 2003; Requisitioning and Acquisition of Immovable Property Act, 1952; the Resettlement of Displaced Persons (Land Acquisition) Act, 1948 and the Metro Railways (Construction of Works) Act, 1978 are also brought under its purview to provide higher compensation and rehabilitation and resettlement benefits to farmers whose land is being acquired.

Justifying its decision to make changes in the Act, government said states, Ministries and stakeholders had been reporting many difficulties in the implementation of the legislation.

"Several suggestions came up in interactions with state Revenue Ministers and key implementing Ministries. Proposed amendments meet the twin objectives of farmer welfare, along with expeditiously meeting the strategic and developmental needs of the country," the government said.

The Land Acquisition Bill, which seeks to provide just and fair compensation to farmers while ensuring that no land can be aquired forcibly, was passed by parliament in 2013.
        The Act had stipulates mandatory consent of at least 70 per cent for acquiring land for Public Private Partnership (PPP) projects and 80 per cent for acquiring land for private companies.

The Act, which replaced over a century-old law, has made it mandatory compensation that is up to four times the market value in rural areas and two times the market value in urban areas.

Social Activist Medha Patkar criticised the government's approving the ordinance amending the Land Acquisition Act 2013.

Patkar, who was consulted by the previous UPA government before enacting the legislation, said the ordinance was issued even before the law has actually been implemented on the ground.

"We fail to understand what is the emergency at this moment that NDA government has to take the Ordinance route. This is only being done as a measure to benefit the corporate houses and nothing else.

"Rs 20 lakh crore investments are not stuck because of the new land Act since the law has only been in existence for one year," said her Narmada Bachao Andolan and National Alliance of People's Movements (NAPM) in a release.

Comment

Please specify the false information. fear mongering is not a valid charge. The media has a job to inform us against our government. We the people are the masters. If our servants are harming us, we should know about that.
          Crying wolf: The narrative of ‘Delhi church attacks’ flies in the face of facts

Please read the above article and you will know that the communal angle was given to it by some elements and was propagated by the MSM.

Comment

If the land is taken for industrial purposes then there is a assurance for a job in the industry.
            This is laughable

Jaitley said there is a mandatory condition for provision of job for those whose land is acquired for industrial corridors.
            I own and farm on one acre of land. That is taken away and I am given the "job" of a daily labourer. Should I be happy. Mandatory job assurances are not worth the paper they are written on. If another company gives you the "assurance" of a job in the future, without specifying pay, benefits etc. will you be willing to quit your current job? Why couldn't ownership stakes be included?

Also, what if the land is acquired for commercial or residential corridors. Where does the job provision go.

The Act, which replaced over a century-old law, has made it mandatory compensation that is up to four times the market value in rural areas and two times the market value in urban areas.
            Have you ever compared govt. "market value" to actual "market value" ? Also, would this ensure that the market value would reach that of actual land use? What is differential between similar sized residential and agricultural properties, in and around Delhi?

you are certainly not helping your case if you are not going to think through your arguments

Comment

Please read the above article and you will know that the communal angle was given to it by some elements and was propagated by the MSM.
              You want me to believe the statements of the police, which is controlled by the Central government? No I do not trust a politically controlled police

Crucially, it’s not just churches that are periodically vandalised and robbed in India. With incidents of theft alone, according to the Delhi Police, 206 temples, 30 gurdwaras and three churches (out of some 200 or more churches in Delhi) and 14 mosques were burgled in 2014. And such crimes didn’t mysteriously start to occur in May 2014 after the BJP’s victory — as with other crimes, they routinely occur every year in Delhi as the data show
              The statements have come from church leaders and the media reported it. Again, they did their jobs. Lets address this issue of thefts. The Church leaders said that after every meeting they find something stolen, so they know what theft is and what vandalism/ desecration looks like.

Do you know this story? Happened in Seattle recently. The ardent Hindus in the region are all up in arms. I wonder how they reacted to the church incidents.

Seattle Temple Vandalized, Drawing Strong Reactions in India

The reaction that I always see:

1. Immediate reaction when something happens to me where I am in a minority : RACIST, BIGOT
              2. Immediate reaction when something happens to someone else attributed to my community, when I am in a majority : this is just a petty crime and the media is blowing it up

Comment

Good article that examined each of the incidents. The communal angle is fear. Contagious. If they don't make a noise then worse will happen. So not quite crying wolf. More like a cry of help based on perceptions.

In this case nothing horrible occurred but its this future business where you will find it difficult to convince people.

as far as i'm concerned these naratives whether of fear or inciting need to be examined & challenged robustly. The PM has been as direct and to the point about this. Hopefully it ends there.

Last edited by Double Edge; 17 Feb 15,, 22:38.

Comment

You want me to believe the statements of the police, which is controlled by the Central government? No I do not trust a politically controlled police
                  The same Police that was under the previous Cong government too which reported the same amount of 'vandalisms' and yet we chose to not believe them now because BJP is in power and that these are communally motivated ?? Come on...

The statements have come from church leaders and the media reported it. Again, they did their jobs. Lets address this issue of thefts. The Church leaders said that after every meeting they find something stolen, so they know what theft is and what vandalism/ desecration looks like.

Do you know this story? Happened in Seattle recently. The ardent Hindus in the region are all up in arms. I wonder how they reacted to the church incidents.

Seattle Temple Vandalized, Drawing Strong Reactions in India

The reaction that I always see:

1. Immediate reaction when something happens to me where I am in a minority : RACIST, BIGOT
                  2. Immediate reaction when something happens to someone else attributed to my community, when I am in a majority : this is just a petty crime and the media is blowing it up
                  Never saw the statements when the previous year similar amount of 'vandalism's happened and any reason all of a sudden they found out these are communally motivated attacks and saw a pattern to it ? As per the USA temple incident I knew it already but didn't bring it up since you would accuse me exactly of what you have said above. I respect the law of the land and they hopefully catch the crooks that did it than crying for attention.
                  Last edited by commander; 17 Feb 15,, 22:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                    Good article that examined each of the incidents. The communal angle is fear. Contagious. If they don't make a noise then worse will happen. So not quite crying wolf. More like a cry of help based on perceptions.

In this case nothing horrible occurred but its this future business where you will find it difficult to convince people.

as far as i'm concerned these naratives whether of fear of inciting need to be challenged robustly. The PM has been as direct and to the point about this. Hopefully it ends there.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jisV7YhGaVs

Will ensure complete freedom of faith: Full text of PM Modi's speech at Christian conference

"Everyone has the undeniable right to retain or adopt the religion of his or her choice without coercion or undue influence. My government will not allow any religious group, belonging to majority or minority to incite hatred against others overtly or covertly,"
                    Seems a more than fair statement that came from 'communal' PM. He broke the silence and like I said before the Delhi elections gave PM a pull on some extremists,

VHP gives PM a break, asks Hindu leaders to make balanced statements

Comment

India world's second most trusted nation, says survey

Moving up the ranks, India has emerged as the second most trusted country in the world in terms of faith reposed on its institutions even as globally trust levels have fallen, says a survey.

As the world's rich and powerful gather in the Swiss resort of Davos, a study by public relations firm Edelman has found that general level of trust in institutions among college-educated people around the globe are at levels not seen since 2009 in many of the markets it surveyed.

Trust in institutions in India has improved sharply in 2015 with the country moving up three notches to the second place among 27 nations.

While the number of "truster" countries are at an all-time low of six in 2015 including UAE, India, China and Netherlands, the number of "distruster" countries has grown significantly to 13 including Japan, Russia, Hong Kong, South Africa and Italy.

Brazil, Malaysia, France and the US are among the 8 "neutral" nations as per the trust index, the survey said.

India, which last year saw BJP-led NDA government storming to power at the Centre, stands tall.

According to the report, an "alarming evaporation of trust" has happened across all institutions, reaching the lows of the Great Recession in 2009.

Trust in government, business, media and NGOs in the general population is below 50 percent in two-thirds of countries, including the US, UK and Germany, it said.

From fifth most trusted in 2014, India has now become the second-most trusted in 2015 with a score of 79 percent in the barometer. The study has put Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi's image on the first page.

The list is topped by UAE with 84 percent trust. Indonesia (78 percent), China (75 percent), Singapore (65 percent) and Netherlands (64 percent) are the others that have recorded highest levels of trust.

Globally, the overall trust index was down a percentage point from the previous year at 55 percent. Trust levels in major developed economies, such as the United States, Germany and France, hovered around 50 percent.

The barometer shows waning trust in non-governmental organizations, media and business. Trust in government recovered somewhat but politicians remain the most distrusted group assessed at 48 percent. Interestingly, trust in politicians in India has grown to 82 percent in 2015 from 53 percent a year ago.

Government was the only institution to gain trust in 2015, driven by improvements in 16 countries, including India.

In terms of NGOs in India, trust was almost flat at 74 percent from 75 percent. Also, while trust in media has fallen in more than half of the countries, India appears to have scored well on that front too with 76 percent in 2015 vis-a-vis 71 percent in 2014.
                      This never highlighted by anyone even in Government is saddening.

Comment

This is laughable

I own and farm on one acre of land. That is taken away and I am given the "job" of a daily labourer. Should I be happy. Mandatory job assurances are not worth the paper they are written on. If another company gives you the "assurance" of a job in the future, without specifying pay, benefits etc. will you be willing to quit your current job? Why couldn't ownership stakes be included?

Also, what if the land is acquired for commercial or residential corridors. Where does the job provision go.

Have you ever compared govt. "market value" to actual "market value" ? Also, would this ensure that the market value would reach that of actual land use? What is differential between similar sized residential and agricultural properties, in and around Delhi?

you are certainly not helping your case if you are not going to think through your arguments
                        I am assuming the 'details' will be chalked when negotiations happen between the acquirer and the seller. Also AFAIK isn't it Guidance value that is calculated in the registrar offices and Market value is the value of that land as per current 'market' rates ?? Moreover with 4 times the money that seems a very fair compensation. Or else can you suggest a alternate way that seems fair to you that should have gone in the LAB ?

Comment

The same Police that was under the previous Cong government too which reported the same amount of 'vandalisms' and yet we chose to not believe them now because BJP is in power and that these are communally motivated ?? Come on...
                          I am not too sure what you are referring to here...

Never saw the statements when the previous year similar amount of 'vandalism's happened and any reason all of a sudden they found out these are communally motivated attacks and saw a pattern to it ? As per the USA one I knew it already but didn't bring it up since you would accuse me exactly of what you have said above. I respect the law of the land and they hopefully catch the crooks that did it than crying for attention.
                          I am just noting what I observe: that super patriots who do not notice bigotry in their own country are the quickest to point it out in others.

Comment

I am assuming the 'details' will be chalked when negotiations happen between the acquirer and the seller.
                            ???

What negotiation? the govt. is taking my land because 65% (or whatever the new lower number is) neighbours agreed to give up theirs.

Also AFAIK isn't it Guidance value that is calculated in the registrar offices and Market value is the value of that land as per current 'market' rates ??
                            So the value "declared" during registration is the value paid for transfer of property? Is that how things work in India? Have you heard of a little thing called cash payments?

Or else can you suggest a alternate way that seems fair to you that should have gone in the LAB ?
                            Determine the true market value of land based on the proper use. This can be determined by looking at how neighboring land value is going up. Add a markup to factor in for inflation during the project. Offer the farmers either a one time compensation to that effect or make them partners in the risk. They get part of the money. The remaining will be in shares (equity or preference, can also be set up as debt with prevailing mortgage rate) of a the new project, which can be set up as separate Corporate Entity. Financially, not a difficult job. If the projects sink, their share sinks too. If the projects succeed, they get their share.

Investors might have some qualms on this, but they would surely want something where everyone goes home happy and their outflow is factored in (and can be therefore recovered), rather than facing an uncertain political or social climate.

Comment

This never highlighted by anyone even in Government is saddening.
                              Trust in institutions, are you freaking kidding me? Do you have trust the police to show up at your door in 8 minutes if you report an emergency? Do you trust your local politician not to pocket commission while spending on some small meaningless project (MP so and so has made a concrete pavilion under the banyan tree near the Panchayat office) ?

Comment

Trust in institutions, are you freaking kidding me? Do you have trust the police to show up at your door in 8 minutes if you report an emergency? Do you trust your local politician not to pocket commission while spending on some small meaningless project (MP so and so has made a concrete pavilion under the banyan tree near the Panchayat office) ?
                                Institution as in the Government I believe, you can still argue that the RTO,Police station and the likes are government essentially.. but I am guessing here they are pointing out Modi's governance.

Comment

Working...
                                X