This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Monash View Post
    Based on the quoted text I'm not sure that is what Obama was doing P. He didn't appear to be justifying war in the name of religion but rather arguing against it.
    “And lest we get on our high horse and think this is unique to some other place, remember that during the Crusades and the Inquisition, people committed terrible deeds in the name of Christ. In our home country, slavery and Jim Crow all too often was justified in the name of Christ.”

Moral relativity. We means me, because I'm condemning the Daesh but I can't because other God botherers have done mean things somewhere else.

Nor can I condemn, because American Christians owned slaves. Well, tell that to the 140k+ American men who died bringing about the end of slavery in the US. Fuck him, fuck his infantile moral relativism, fuck his invisible friend.
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
      “And lest we get on our high horse and think this is unique to some other place, remember that during the Crusades and the Inquisition, people committed terrible deeds in the name of Christ. In our home country, slavery and Jim Crow all too often was justified in the name of Christ.”

Moral relativity. We means me, because I'm condemning the Daesh but I can't because other God botherers have done mean things somewhere else.

Nor can I condemn, because American Christians owned slaves. Well, tell that to the 140k+ American men who died bringing about the end of slavery in the US. Fuck him, fuck his infantile moral relativism, fuck his invisible friend.
      Well while we're at it, fuck your complete misreading of his point. He's not saying don't judge Daesh, he's saying don't judge all Muslims by the actions of Daesh. An unexceptional point that is regularly made by people from the President right down to some guy on the internet.

There you go, judge away.:)
      sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
        Well while we're at it, fuck your complete misreading of his point. He's not saying don't judge Daesh, he's saying don't judge all Muslims by the actions of Daesh. An unexceptional point that is regularly made by people from the President right down to some guy on the internet.

There you go, judge away.:)
        Gosh really? What a novel thought! Not all muslims are fanatical killers? who'd have thought.
        We shouldn't judge all Islam by the actions of a few? Blow me down.

I've heard the same banal, infantile tripe for the last 14 years, no matter what the situation, no matter what the context, no matter what the motivations, no matter what the analysis.

Start of discussions about Islamic terrorism:
        Let's hear from our resident progressive/liberal/green/whateverthefuck nom de plume de jour..... (NDPDJ)

(NDPDJ) Well mindless autocue interviewer, not all muslims, or even most, are bad, and damn all conservative right wing haters like Pari for saying so.....

(Pari) Uh, but I didn't say so.

(NDPDJ) Not all muslims, or even most, are bad, and damn all you conservative right wing haters for saying so.....

(PARI) Um, ok.

(MINDLESS AUTOCUE READER) Which moves us to our latest topic, the mass murder of (mass murdered ethnic group) by (fanatical misrepresentative of Islam terrorist group). What say you NDPDJ?

(NDPDJ) Well autocue reader, not only are not all muslims, or even most, bad, and damn all conservative right wing haters like Pari for saying so, but conservative right wing haters are just as bad anyway because christians murdered muslims during the crusades. And whites murdered blacks. So Pari should get of his high horse, we all know he doesn't really care anyway cause he's a right winger, and just shut the fuck up, nothing to see here except his evilness and hatred, blah blah blah.
        Every time an atrocity has been committed.

The same stock answer.

"Don't judge all muslims by the actions of X,Y, and Z. You're all just as bad anyway"

I don't give a fuck about Islam.

I don't give a fuck about Christianity.

I don't give a fuck about black, or white, or LGBT rights:

What I do give a fuck about is some asinine child politician politicising the ongoing mass murder of men, women and children as a way of diverting from his own lack of interest in that mass murder.
        He's a moronic infant.
        Last edited by Parihaka; 08 Feb 15,, 22:00.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by antimony View Post
          Stick to your opinions, I will stick to my facts. Every major religion screwed up the world. The dark ages and Crusades were Christianity. Hardcore Islam screwed up the civilization that the Middle East and everything since then; Hinduism screwed up the subcontinent

Religion poisons everything it touches, we would be much better without them. And before you ask, Stalin and Mao are NOT shining examples of either atheism or rational free thinking.
          Christianity did not cause the Dark Ages. The collapse of the Roman Empire caused the Dark Ages. If anything, the Church was more competent and knowledgeable than the barbarians.

Also, Islam did not screw up the Middle East. The only reason they won any battles was because the Romans and Persians had fought each other for 700 years.

I can respect the opinion that organized religion generally screws things up, but most of human history has just been a bitter slog with incremental gains. Humans never needed religion to screw things up,.
          "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
            Christianity did not cause the Dark Ages. The collapse of the Roman Empire caused the Dark Ages. If anything, the Church was more competent and knowledgeable than the barbarians.

Also, Islam did not screw up the Middle East. The only reason they won any battles was because the Romans and Persians had fought each other for 700 years.

I can respect the opinion that organized religion generally screws things up, but most of human history has just been a bitter slog with incremental gains. Humans never needed religion to screw things up,.
            I should have said everywhere from the middle east to the subcontinent. Do you know how islam spread to the subcontinent and what destruction they caused? Of course, they also gave a chance at equalizing things for people who were treated as worse than slaves, by Hindusim.

Yeah, there has always been infighting within mankind, but religion made it moral, even morally imperative, to do so. You are killing/ mistreating/ torturing somebody to save their and your own souls. Takes it to a whole new level.
            "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

The same stock answer.

"Don't judge all muslims by the actions of X,Y, and Z. You're all just as bad anyway"

This statement is for people who give a fuck for such shit.

What I do give a fuck about is some asinine child politician politicising the ongoing mass murder of men, women and children as a way of diverting from his own lack of interest in that mass murder.
              He's a moronic infant.
              wow, did not realize Obama had such disinterest for ISIS
              "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

Gosh really? What a novel thought! Not all muslims are fanatical killers? who'd have thought.
                We shouldn't judge all Islam by the actions of a few? Blow me down.

I've heard the same banal, infantile tripe for the last 14 years, no matter what the situation, no matter what the context, no matter what the motivations, no matter what the analysis.

The same stock answer.

He's a moronic infant.
                OK, so its just about having another rant.

Carry on.
                sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

This statement is for people who give a fuck for such shit.

wow, did not realize Obama had such disinterest for ISIS
                  For what shit, pray tell.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                    OK, so its just about having another rant.

Carry on.
                    I'm sorry BF, didn't I show sufficient obeyance to your trite platitudes? Perhaps you and Obama should work on some new ones.

Leibniz

Comment

I never said they were the only game in town. But for something that is spiritual, peaceful and uplifting, religion sure has a high body count
                      I think religion is by far the most enduring conception mankind has ever come up with. Sustainable, marketable, a solution to any problem you care to throw at it. If you believe.

A killer idea to date with no equal.

Comment

Not only a simple conception.It's a solution,a help ,an answer and a way of life.If you believe.
                        Those who know don't speak
                        He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Incredible scope from the womb to the tomb. What kind of lock in is this.

Comment

For what shit, pray tell.
                            Islam, Christianity, black, or white, or LGBT rights )or rather, taking away their rights)

Comment

Originally posted by Mihais View Post
                              Not only a simple conception.It's a solution,a help ,an answer and a way of life.If you believe.
                              Yeah, a solution that says that critical thought is not important to understand the universe and everything else. There is a big daddy up there, yo.

There was no evolution, big daddy made everything. The sun and moon are gods. Hell even the wind and sea are gods. That guy plays soccer very well, not because he has practiced and worked hard at his genetically evolved skill, but because GOD gave him talent. So and so has contracted a disease, not because he lives in unhygienic condition but because the big juju in the mountain cursed him. 911 happened because god hates ******s. Innocent children need to be killed because god will grant the murderer 72 virgins.

Very simple and elegant, for those who do not want to think.

Comment

Yeah, a solution that says that critical thought is not important to understand the universe and everything else. There is a big daddy up there, yo.

There was no evolution, big daddy made everything. The sun and moon are gods. Hell even the wind and sea are gods. That guy plays soccer very well, not because he has practiced and worked hard at his genetically evolved skill, but because GOD gave him talent. So and so has contracted a disease, not because he lives in unhygienic condition but because the big juju in the mountain cursed him. 911 happened because god hates ******s. Innocent children need to be killed because god will grant the murderer 72 virgins.

Very simple and elegant, for those who do not want to think.
                                Let me guess... You have never been in a foxhole...

Comment

Working...
                                X